PDA

View Full Version : Thanks and a question (neon sign)

Jonathan
06-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Thank you for allowing me to join the Stude group.
I'm excited to be a part of and future contibutor to, this forum.

I do have a question... I'm looking for some history around this neon Lark sign. I've not seen another like it and curious about its history.

Also, whom in the group is the best to talk with and moat knowledgable around Stude automobilia and artifacts? 54865

rockinhawk
06-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Richard Quinn,(Studebaker Wheel) the all wise, All knowing Authority on every thing Studebaker. That man is a treasure.

rockne10
06-02-2016, 06:16 PM
Welcome, Jonathan! I hope you have also joined the SDC.

8E45E
06-02-2016, 07:36 PM
I hope it is for the Studebaker model, or course; but it looks suspiciously like the cigarette brand with the same name.

Craig

57pack
06-02-2016, 07:56 PM
Yep, definitely a question for Mr.Quinn!
I like the sign none the less!
Is it for sale?

Jonathan
06-02-2016, 09:49 PM
It might be once i know a little more.
I forgotbabout Lark Cigarettes. Now I'm even more curious if its Stude related.

Jonathan
06-02-2016, 09:59 PM
It might be once i know a little more.
I forgor about Lark Cigarettes. Now I'm even more curious if its Stude related.

StudeRich
06-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Jonathan!

The colors are what make this very questionable as to the Studebaker Connection. They rarely used Yellow with Blue and certainly NEVER with Purple.

54878 Here are the LARK Letters at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana.

wolfie
06-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Someone also made several neon Studebaker signs posted here a few years ago. I dont remember who it was but a search here may help. I seem to recall a few Lark signs in his pics as well as an Avanti sign. This could be one of the ones he was making. Steve

showbizkid
06-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Colors not withstanding, the type treatment (the face itself and the way the L and A are interlocked) point to it being Stude related, rather than tobacco ;)

Might not have been a factory-supplied item - maybe locally commissioned by a dealer.

Nice find!

8E45E
06-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Colors not withstanding, the type treatment (the face itself and the way the L and A are interlocked) point to it being Stude related, rather than tobacco ;)

Might not have been a factory-supplied item - maybe locally commissioned by a dealer.

Local architectural controls dictating size & color of it????

Craig

Studebakercenteroforegon
06-03-2016, 01:12 PM
I remember a restaurant in the early 1960 era that was the "Lark Cafe" that had their large neon sign with the same interlinked "L" and "A" as Studebaker used commonly for LARK. This was near Wilsonville, Oregon just off of the I-5 freeway, so it was very visible to traffic. I thought it was a little bold to be plagiarizing the Studebaker "LARK" so obviously, but I always enjoyed seeing it. Now why did I never stop in for lunch sometime? Oh, that's right, I was a poor college student driving a '57 Silver Hawk.

Studebakercenteroforegon
06-03-2016, 01:26 PM
I did find a picture of the LARK cafe in Wilsonville but just of the building - not the highway sign.
This was on a Flickr site showing hundreds of old restaurant postcards. Several having Studebakers in the parking lots

lacerx
06-03-2016, 03:28 PM
I have what I believe is an original Lark neon.....at least I have had it since 1988.
Don54921

studegary
06-03-2016, 03:50 PM
I hope it is for the Studebaker model, or course; but it looks suspiciously like the cigarette brand with the same name.

Craig

One year, I drove my 1963 Daytona Wagonaire to South Bend. I had the two plastic faces of my large, Lark sign in the rear (front seat to tailgate) of the wagon. At one service area, the young lady taking my money wanted her free cigarettes. It took me a while to understand this request and I do not know if I ever convinced her that this Lark was a car.

Silverplate
06-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Welcome Jonathan...where in Texas are you?

Studebaker Wheel
06-04-2016, 03:01 AM
Rockinhawk and 57pack have put a lot of pressure on me!! First welcome to the SDC and congratulations on your ownership of such a pretty and rare Lark sign. It is definitely Studebaker! That particular sign is one of several offered by the Walker Sign Co. of Detroit, MI. It was available in two sizes, standard at 5' 3" X 2' 3" (original cost $334) or large 7' X 3' (original cost $425). Which size is yours? In early March 1959 Walker sent out to all dealers an 8 page color catalog (with separate price sheet) showing a large variety of signs, and even a clock (which I have). I am including below some pages from that catalog. If you, or anyone else, are interested in a quality reprint email me at rtq11@aol.com. Subject "Lark sign catalog."

showbizkid
06-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Well butter me and call me a biscuit! Leave it to Richard to have the definitive answer :)