59-61 Lark Bumpers Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59-61 Lark Bumpers Identification

I am rechroming the bumpers to my 1960 2 door Lark. I understood that the front and rear bumpers were interchangeable. However, I have seen some pictures that show the rear bumper with no license plate holes. I don't have a parts manual handy. Can anyone tell me what the rear bumper should look like. Much appreciated in advance.

Yes they should have no License Plate holes in the Rear bumper, but people have certainly used a front on the Rear.

The '61 to '63's have a Dip (Flat) in the Center to give more clearance to the Grill, but also work fine on a '59-'60 that had none.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61LarkRegal4dr4.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1705813
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-01-2016, 07:47 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Your title should read " '59 - '60 Lark bumpers" in that '61 bumpers were different. 1961 bumpers were the first to have the "dip" in the upper middle.
      True, these year Larks had the rear license mounted on the body, (except station wagons) so there was no license mounting holes on the rear bumper.
      When these cars were new, there was some talk in the car magazines about the cleverness of the new Lark design, and it was mentioned that the front and rear bumpers were made from the same basic stamping, but of course the license mounting holes were for the front only.
      Last edited by Studebakercenteroforegon; 06-01-2016, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Thank you. I much appreciate the help and information.

Comment

1959 - 1966 Lark type bumpers

In 1976, when I purchased my 1960 Lark, it was wearing a 1964-66 style front bumper. So the good news is any year Lark bumper will fit. That also helps with the bumper guards, knowing the later style Blade type will also fit. Those are still available NOS.

With my Lark purchase, it made me start to notice the subtle differences between the different year Lark bumpers.
          It is this type of trivial knowledge, that I like to store in my brain.

Some trivia.... 1961 is a one year only design. Based on the # of bumper bolts needed to mount to the body brackets. Still using 2 per side.

Here is a summary:
          1959 - 60: mounting brackets & bumper has 2 holes per side. Bumper does not wrap around the body.
          1961: mounting brackets & bumper has 2 holes per side. Bumper does not wrap around the body. Flat top dip first appears and remains thru 1966
          1962 - 63: mounting brackets & bumper has 3 holes per side. Bumper does not wrap around the body. Wing-let bumper extensions accessory adds wrap-around design.
          1964 - 66: mounting brackets & bumper has 3 holes per side. Bumper does wrap around the body, following the look of the accessory.

Stude-Preferred

Name:	1959-60 Lark Bumper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1705942Click image for larger version

Name:	1961 Lark Bumper.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1705943Click image for larger version

Name:	62-63 Lark Bumper wrap-around extensions.jpg
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	1705944Click image for larger version

Name:	62-63 Lark Bumper.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1705945Click image for larger version

Name:	64-66 Lark-type models.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1705946
          Last edited by Stude-Preferred; 06-04-2016, 05:21 PM.

Comment

The pictures are very helpful. I definitely don't have 59-60 bumpers on front or rear. I would like to find a pair for my 60 Lark. What I have are 2 bolts per side with slight wraparound and two center holes for a licence plate. Thanks again for clearing this up.

Comment

Originally posted by abkco View Post
              The pictures are very helpful. I definitely don't have 59-60 bumpers on front or rear. I would like to find a pair for my 60 Lark. What I have are 2 bolts per side with slight wraparound and two center holes for a licence plate. Thanks again for clearing this up.
              Sounds like you DO have the correct '59-'60 Bumpers as per Picture #1, the Lic. Plate Holes are no big deal on the Rear and belong on the front!

Two Mounting Bolts, slight wrap and without the Flat in the Top Center correct?

If it were a '64 to '66 Like Pic #5 it would have 3 Bolt holes per side, and a Major Wraparound!

If they have good Chrome they should be fine, put chrome Head Bolts or Acorn Nuts with Bolts on backside in the Lic. Holes.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 06-05-2016, 02:38 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich & abkco:

It does sound like abkco has the 59-60 front bumper with the license plate diagonal holes.
                I did not get into the differences between front & rear bumpers. I'll mention them here, to provide a complete picture.
                This deals with the middle of the bumper.

59-60: License plate mounted to the body.
                Front bumper has license plate holes. 2 Oblong holes in the middle recessed part of the bumper.
                Rear bumper - no license plate holes, but has the recessed depression in the middle of the bumper. Perfect place for the Dealer's sticker.

61: License plate mounted to the body.
                Front bumper has license plate holes. 2 Oblong holes in the middle recessed part of the bumper.
                Rear bumper - no license plate holes, but has the recessed depression in the middle of the bumper. Perfect place for the Dealer's sticker.

62-63: License plate mounted in the BUMPER. Studebaker used a special mounting bracket which used the 2 holes in the bumper. Then, the 2 lower License plate holes were below the center-line of the bumper. This is a nice way to mount a plate on the front bumper, which gives a flat surface to help support the plate.

Rear bumper - has license plate holes plus 2 round holes to mount the mini-bumper guards with the built in license plate lights. These round holes are next to the recessed depression in the middle of the bumper. Refer to the 62-63 picture to see the license plate guards.

64-66: License plate mounted in the BUMPER. Studebaker used a special mounting bracket which used the 2 holes in the bumper. Then, the 2 lower License plate holes were below the center-line of the bumper. This is a nice way to mount a plate on the front bumper, which gives a flat surface to help support the plate.

Rear bumper - has license plate holes plus 2 round holes to mount the mini-bumper guards with the built in license plate lights. These round holes are next to the recessed depression in the middle of the bumper. Refer to the 62-63 picture to see the license plate guards.

My Grandfather's Dealership sticker. Mounted in the middle of my Lark 59-60 rear bumper, prior to re-chroming.

Name:	SJM BumperSticker.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1707055

Stude-Preferred

Comment

Working...
                X