K10 truck engine ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K10 truck engine ID

Can anyone ID a 245 engine with the following info: s/n OT918; block casting # 523140; below casting # is E 6 1. Curious to find out if it is the original engine for my K10 serial #K10 820 with body # K10-C2 520. Also need the info for ordering rebuild parts.
    Thanks, Mike

You need to find your Engine's Serial Number, it is on the machined flat pad at the Left side, Front, near the top.

The original would be a 226 as the Commander Six was not stroked to 245 until 1949.

I believe it MAY be a 06/01/1951 Cast Block, so it could be a 245.
    E= 1951, 6 = June, 1 = the 1st.

If that is the case, the Serial Number should be a 4RXXX, if OT-918 is on the machined Pad, it is some aftermarket stamped number on a New blank Factory replacement Block.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-01-2016, 10:28 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The engine number OT918 is consistent with that used on all the 1938-40 K-10 Fast Transports (started with OT1 in Nov. 1937). The engines however were not 245's but 226 c.i. (79 horsepower). I am a bit confused by the date code you list E 6 1. I believe the letter prefix should be an R designating a 1938 casting date. You might wish to recheck that. There were 1000 K-10's built. They came with a wide or narrow box or could be ordered with a stake bed. Of course they could also be ordered w/o a body for local installation. Have lots of literature and data on the K-10. Just a few of the items below. I also have a roster of owners. Would be interested in seeing a photo or two of your truck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	folder p1-4 labeled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1705782Click image for larger version

Name:	K10 color spread labeled.jpg
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1705783Click image for larger version

Name:	lackey letter2 labeled.jpg
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1705784
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

In our Six Cylinder Engine I.D. resource page here, we do not have an "OT", so I refer to our Pre-war Car/Truck expert Richard Quinn's info as more correct.

But something is confusing about this Engine, maybe they stamped the original Engine number on a blank New Factory 1951 245 Replacement Engine!

Link to 6 Cylinder Engine I.D. Info: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_6data.asp
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Everybody's right! It is a 245, the block casting number tells us it is from the early '50s, and the date code says it was cast in 1951. Thanks to Dwight FitzSimons for explaining the date codes. The alphabet was used twice. It started over in 1947. The original engine number was stamped on the replacement engine, just as dealers were instructed to do. This was considered important because so many states titled by engine serial number, not vehicle serial number back then.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the information -- very helpful. I thought it might be a replacement engine because it has bearing inserts and I believe someone had told me that engine would be babbited if it were a 38.
            Thanks, Mike

Comment

Interesting...I've heard various dates for when Studebaker began using "insert" bearings, but lack confidence in the information. (and the accuracy of my memory)

How 'bout someone, who knows, give us the correct info. Did the change happen in all engines offered in one year? How about the smaller displacement engines, larger sixes, and the straight 8's? I've never owned a poured Babbitted bearing engine. Therefore, I am unsure of how difficult (these days) it would be to get one renewed should a rebuild be necessary. While I have had a life long dream of owning a "pre-war" car...that would have a huge "bearing" on what years to own. (pun intended)
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I am having the same problem. I have a 1940 K10 that is supposed to have engine #OT 955. That number isn't on my engine. I have a steel tag where that number would be that says "Do not remove this plate Order replacement parts for this engine - part number 532915 - from special engine section in current parts list".
                There is also a block casting number under the distributor: 523140-1. And under that: H 10 29. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. Andrew
                1940 Studebaker K10 Fast Transport Tow Truck "Giddy-Up-Go"
                1974 Volkswagen Beetle "Vilma"

Comment

Also, I got the OT 955 number from the data tag inside the cab of my truck where it stated "engine number". My truck's Vin # K10860
                  Last edited by 40studek10baker; 11-27-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

You have a dealer-installed replacement engine. That tag was attached to inform service personnel that the engine was a later replacement with some different internal parts. 532915 is a 245.6 cu in Commander 6 engine. They remained in production through 1960, and parts for it are available. In states were engine numbers were used for registration purposes, the dealer was supposed to stamp the old engine number on the new block.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Thank you! Where did you end up finding that info? I searched and searched to no avail.

Comment

I found that part number in the 49-56 truck parts book, but it's almost surely in a couple of car parts books, too. Since the number begins with a 5, that engine was originally designed for use in Stude passenger cars (49 Commander, I think) and also became the standard engine in some Stude trucks after January 1, 1949. It was the replacement engine for all trucks that originally were equipped with the 226 cu in engine.
                        Last edited by Skip Lackie; 11-30-2016, 01:24 PM.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Skip!

Comment

More K10 engine info here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...nsport-Express

Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X