Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1948 questions - what to look for when buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 questions - what to look for when buying?

going to look at a 48 4 dr sedan next week,so would like to know what to look for,specific to that model,have not seen any for sale to get a sense of value, been a barn sence the mid. 60's any help would be great..

Is it a Commander or a Champion? It does make a difference as far as taking the car out on the highway. I drove a 1948 Landcruiser from San Francisco area to Tucson and the Commander six is a better road car IMHO. It was 12 years ago and I paid $1,000 for a Tan car that the interior seats were good but it had "wood paneling" from home interior department. Headliner was fair.

Figure if the car has been sitting since the mid 60's that you better figure it will need everything and therefore think accordingly as far as price. The planar suspension was a bit antiquated even when the car was new.

My 2 cents, no change given.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ
    Home of 6 Volt Paradise

Comment

thanks Bob, going in to take pics next Friday and give it a good going over,I have seen it once but he had 20 cars to look at so it was quick and dark in the barn,also looking at 2 Henery-j's setting next to it,may need a bigger trailer

Comment

If you get the numbers on the firewall tag, we will know what model the car really is.

Also, two Henry J's? Those are some of my favorites. You haven't been able to find one in California for years. They all got turned into dragsters.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I have a 1947 Champion 4-door sedan, which is almost the same car as a 1948 Champion. I bought it in 1973, and am still in love with it. I took it for a drive today.

First, take someone with you who is very knowledgeable about old cars but has no interest in this one --- some impartial advice may help overcome any "blind spots" that an eager purchaser may have.

On a car that has been sitting this long, assume you will have to replace most rubber parts on the car. Also assume that the wiring harnesses will need replacing. A complete brake overhaul (including lines) likely will be needed.

Look for a vertical line of rust behind the air vents on the front fenders. Check that the frame and floor are good. Check that the engine is free (don't try to start it until it has been gone over thoroughly). What condition is the upholstery?

Chrome on Studes of that era was not of high quality. Good quality replating is expensive. Fortunately, there is not a lot of chrome of the car -- the grille and windshield posts are stainless steel.

What is the condition of all drive train components, from radiator to rear end?

Do you plan to drive the car on the highway? If so, you definitely want an overdrive transmission.

If you buy the car, your next purchases definitely should be a shop manual, a chassis parts catalogue and a body parts catalogue. Also nice to have are an owner's manual, an overdrive repair manual, and a copy of the original production order.

Whatever work the car will need will influence what you pay. Theoretically the price you pay should be the value of a fully restored car less what it will cost you to put it in that condition. If its a car you really want, you might pay a bit more, realizing that the difference is the cost of your wish to have it. Any work you competently can do yourself, instead of paying someone else to do it, will reduce your final cost.

Remember that a 4-door sedan is worth a lot less than a convertible or a Starlight coupe in identical condition.

Most parts are not difficult to find.

If you buy the car and have questions as you go about restoring it, please feel free to ask me. A lot of people have helped me enjoy my '47 and keep it on the road for the last 43 years. The car has been kept in as original condition as possible. I am happy to help others with similar cars. These cars are a lot of fun, and attract a lot of positive attention.
          Bill Jarvis

Comment

Working...
          X