PDA

View Full Version : Strange sound & vibrations from brake pedal

Noxnabaker
05-24-2016, 04:38 PM
Just when the electric troll was of & away to put its spell on some other car, suddenly wife's -92 Caddy start a new naughty thing to annoy her with:
When pressing the brake pedal there's a "snarling" sound & the pedal vibrates some too.
The fluid-level is fine & there's no leaks by the wheels or the master cylinder, not inside either.
Yesterday it started but today it was a little bit quieter.
So is there anyone who know what it means?
Hoping for a nice easy-fixed answer... :)

jnormanh
05-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Just when the electric troll was of & away to put its spell on some other car, suddenly wife's -92 Caddy start a new naughty thing to annoy her with:
When pressing the brake pedal there's a "snarling" sound & the pedal vibrates some too.
The fluid-level is fine & there's no leaks by the wheels or the master cylinder, not inside either.
Yesterday it started but today it was a little bit quieter.
So is there anyone who know what it means?
Hoping for a nice easy-fixed answer... :)

"snarling" isn't much to go on. Could be a worn out brake shoe or pad, or a piece of trash in a brake drum. Or a worn out wheel bearing. Or a broken return spring. Or a leaking caliper or cylinder. Or a mouse carcass. It's a '92? After 24 years, it could be anything.

Jeepers, take it to a mechanic or brake shop and have them take a looksee.

Or do the CASO fix: Drive until it either heals itself or the brakes fail when you need them.

karterfred88
05-24-2016, 05:16 PM
How often is it driven, lots of rain lately? Wearing of that layer of rust on the discs will make them groan. Pedal shake could be anything from warped rotor to who knows what!! Including the anti lock brake pump circuit.

63avanti.
05-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Is the sound and pulsation during braking from a normal driving speed or is the sound and pulsation in the pedal when sitting with the car in park?

If it's while driving there's a good chance it's pads and rotors.

If it's while sitting idle and it's coming directly from pedal it could be mAny things. Abs/ master cylinder issues etc.

DEEPNHOCK
05-24-2016, 08:34 PM
Check your codes.
Look for an anti-lock brake problem.

Warren Webb
05-25-2016, 01:25 AM
Is it equipped with a "hydro-boost" system? If it is I'd check the power steering fluid level.

Noxnabaker
05-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Funny how many probably didn't bother to read all the stuff I wrote! :)
Anyway: it's a DAILY driver & the sun has been out for weeks (=no water) & here's the REALLY cool thing:
it was only a 2-days thing & even (as stated before) less the second day!
So it's over & out for now.
(& even thou some answers here was funny; on the Caddy forum no one even bothered to answer.)
Thank you all!
:)

Bordeaux Daytona
05-25-2016, 04:17 PM
Check your codes.
Look for an anti-lock brake problem.

Probably. I've had some issues with vehicles were rust builds up between the abs sensor and the spindle causing false abs activation. The worst is when you're coming to a stop and it kicks in causing the vehicle to keep going a little bit. Sometimes the tone ring breaks on the cv axle and it will false activate. It won't set a code for either. I finally pulled the abs motor fuse out of my daily driver because I didn't feel like cleaning up the rust again.

Noxnabaker
05-26-2016, 03:00 PM
It appeared again today... & it might have something to do with the hub coming from a -94 that has the bulky piece the other way so to speak, don't really know how to explain but I'll try:
the hub bearing was bad so it's replaced by a good one from a 2 year younger car & the fastening-holes are drilled the other way so to mount the hub it has to be turned 1/4 to fit.
So if there's something inside that needs leveling it might be the thing; as in a weight that is supposed to move forward to activate the pulsing is now laying on its side & doing the pulsing all the time... got to phone the guy who sold the hub!
Or disconnect the contact so it doesn't pulse at all, it IS a front-wheel drive car so the rear brakes only kicks in when the back seat or/and trunk is loaded.
Phoning seems a better idea... :)

63t-cab
05-26-2016, 04:41 PM
I have to say I'm confused about the Rear Brakes only activating when weight is added too the back of the Car.I would be VERY careful Driving this Car,and keep more than enough distance between You and the One in front of You.

It appeared again today... & it might have something to do with the hub coming from a -94 that has the bulky piece the other way so to speak, don't really know how to explain but I'll try:
the hub bearing was bad so it's replaced by a good one from a 2 year younger car & the fastening-holes are drilled the other way so to mount the hub it has to be turned 1/4 to fit.
So if there's something inside that needs leveling it might be the thing; as in a weight that is supposed to move forward to activate the pulsing is now laying on its side & doing the pulsing all the time... got to phone the guy who sold the hub!
Or disconnect the contact so it doesn't pulse at all, it IS a front-wheel drive car so the rear brakes only kicks in when the back seat or/and trunk is loaded.
Phoning seems a better idea... :)