Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Adding Dual Master Cylinder

Hello,

I am new to the forum. Please apologize if this has been covered in the past. I just purchased a 1963 Cruiser. It has the original power booster and front disc brakes. Very nice options from the factory. It appears that it is still a single cylinder master. As I move through the mechanicals, I am making a list of safety, cosmetic and performance upgrades that I want to do. In addition to all of the regular catch up maintenance that needs to be verified and completed.

My main question is whether there is a straight forward way to upgrade the master cylinder to a dual chambered version? I would like to keep the stock power booster. I am aware that I am going to have to plumb the front and rear separately. I am also going to need either a proportioning valve and residual pressure valves.

I really appreciate the advice and I look forward to many years of learning.

Thanks,
    Steve

Davis, CA
    1963 Studebaker Cruiser
    Last edited by Mcwicki51; 05-24-2016, 12:39 PM.
    Steve Nowicki

Davis, CA

1963 Studebaker Cruiser
    289 V8 2bbl
    Flight-o-matic
    Twin Traction Dana 44
    Factory front power disc brakes
    Rose mist with Chestnut interior

-------------------
    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Most any of the Stude vendors can supply you with the Master and some, whole kits with the lines preformed. Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Steve!
        Flat Ernie is right, Jim Turner is the guy to talk to.
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Just did this on my 66 Daytona using a mid 70's Mopar master cylinder. Studebakerparts.com has a detailed article on the conversion. Use the "Help with Studebakers pages" link. Check it out.
          Last edited by thunderations; 05-24-2016, 04:05 PM.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

This has been a great link. http://m.studebakerparts.com/studeba...s/dskdual.html

Thank you!

Steve
            Steve Nowicki

Davis, CA

1963 Studebaker Cruiser
            289 V8 2bbl
            Flight-o-matic
            Twin Traction Dana 44

Comment

Summit sells an adapter that converts four stud mounting of master cylinders, to two stud mounting. Then your selection is greater, and you can even mount a fancy Wilwood master if so inclined.
              Free Shipping - Mopar Performance Master Cylinder Adapters with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Master Cylinder Adapter Kits at Summit Racing.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I do like the idea of a black billet Wilwood. However, how do you accommodate the thickness of the plate and the pushrod length? Is the rod coming out of the booster adjustable?

Thanks.
                Steve Nowicki

Davis, CA

1963 Studebaker Cruiser
                289 V8 2bbl
                Flight-o-matic
                Twin Traction Dana 44

Comment

Originally posted by Mcwicki51 View Post
                  I do like the idea of a black billet Wilwood. However, how do you accommodate the thickness of the plate and the pushrod length? Is the rod coming out of the booster adjustable?

Thanks.
                  To some degree. If it is too large a gap you can make something to extend it. It has a threaded shaft to work with.A lot of M/Cs used in the after market systems, also come with "slugs" ( fit in the recess of the piston" with different lengths to help for that problem. If you go that route be sure to match the bore size to the factory size. The original Bendix system design paper shows a Master bore of 1 1/8" and stroke of 1.25"
                  Last edited by karterfred88; 05-25-2016, 08:50 AM.

Comment

The Wilwood has a bore of 1.125" and a stroke of 1.100". Is this stroke too short to work?
                    Steve Nowicki

Davis, CA

1963 Studebaker Cruiser
                    289 V8 2bbl
                    Flight-o-matic
                    Twin Traction Dana 44

Comment

Originally posted by Mcwicki51 View Post
                      The Wilwood has a bore of 1.125" and a stroke of 1.100". Is this stroke too short to work?
                      Don't know, the "adapter bracket" is designed around that spec. Others may have actually tried it, but they need to have done it using the factory disc brake setup to be factual. That last .15 isn't much, and I doubt the full travel is ever used as long as pads are new and rear linings adjusted right. Me, I'd use the tried and true M/Cs, pop on a chrome cap and maybe get one to experiment with-you'll always be able to go back.
                      Last edited by karterfred88; 05-25-2016, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Thank you!
                        Steve Nowicki

Davis, CA

1963 Studebaker Cruiser
                        289 V8 2bbl
                        Flight-o-matic
                        Twin Traction Dana 44

Comment

I have used this adapter on at least three different cars, and had no troubles with either Wilwood, or Tilton master cylinders
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I've done this conversion with at least three cars, one was the 64 cruiser. Its not too hard to find a bolt on replacement from a slightly newer car such as a 69 or so Bronco or Scout. You need a T and a brake line too to insert below the MC. Bout an hour job iirc.
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                            X