PDA

View Full Version : Is it really a Speedster??

brngarage
05-23-2016, 06:04 PM
A friend purchased a heavily modified '55 hardtop and now wants to know if it really was a Speedster (as he was told). Anything that would readily identify it as such (dash, emblems, engine, upholstery) no longer exists, but I have the serial number (7807733). Can someone help? Thanks.

SN-60
05-23-2016, 06:20 PM
I can tell you that serial number isn't listed in the Speedster roster I've been working on. (nor the two previous rosters which mine is based on)

Three things....1) does the car possibly still have its body cowl tag? (Look for 6H-K7)

2)....Look for any areas on the body still showing the original factory paint scheme....President Speedster colors were unique, and that would identify your friend's car as a Speedster.

and 3)...the roof (just ahead of the rear window) should have a series of holes drilled in it across the top for the unique Speedster stainless steel roof band.

rockne10
05-23-2016, 07:02 PM
The production order, available from the Studebaker National Museum, would verify the model that left the assembly line, based on the Serial Number.

http://www.studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/

SN-60
05-23-2016, 07:08 PM
The production order, available from the Studebaker National Museum, would verify the model that left the assembly line, based on the Serial Number.

http://www.studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/

Of course, but why spend $50 if you don't really need to? :)

6hk71400
05-23-2016, 07:50 PM
It is a Vernon built car and a President. Mr Richard Quinn helped me on my Speedster but I had the body tag. Without that information, only a guess. There were 14 6H-K5 speedster built in 1954 that went on the car show circuit before the model started in 1955. The rest were 6HK7 with the body number underneath the number.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ
Home of 6 Volt Paradise

SN-60
05-28-2016, 09:03 AM
A friend purchased a heavily modified '55 hardtop and now wants to know if it really was a Speedster (as he was told). Anything that would readily identify it as such (dash, emblems, engine, upholstery) no longer exists, but I have the serial number (7807733). Can someone help? Thanks.

Any new info on this car :confused: