"Nice Guys" Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Nice Guys" Avanti?

Anyone know what the Studebaker Avanti connection is to the new Russell Crowe/Ryan Gosling movie.."Nice Guys"?

I just read a review of this movie in our local paper, and there's a large photo of Crowe shooting a pistol 'James Bond style' from behind a Turquoise Avanti!

I don't know,but just as long as He doesn't Shoot through It "no Bullet Proof/Resistance Fiberglass in those Babies"
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      Anyone know what the Studebaker Avanti connection is to the new Russell Crowe/Ryan Gosling movie.."Nice Guys"?

I just read a review of this movie in our local paper, and there's a large photo of Crowe shooting a pistol 'James Bond style' from behind a Turquoise Avanti!
      Here is a still from the new movie. It's an Avanti II but I don't know who owns the car.

Lew Schucart
      Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

The Avanti belongs to me. It' a 1981 SN RQB 3265. Originally turquoise with white interior. It now sports a darker turquoise with mauve interior and LT1 SBC engine and 4L60E transmission. The movie was filmed at Pinewood studios in Atlanta a year and half ago. For some reason they wanted an Avanti, found out I owned one so they contacted me. I was never told if it would make the cut for the movie, apparently it did. Thanks for posting the pic.

Jim Rice
        Peachtree City, GA

Comment

I found a reel of behind the scenes videos on YouTube from when the movie was being filmed. The scene with the Avanti is at the "1978 Pacific Coast Auto Show". The Avanti was in several shots.
          Last edited by Mark L; 05-21-2016, 11:26 AM.
          Mark L

Comment

Originally posted by gthawkr2 View Post
            The Avanti belongs to me. It' a 1981 SN RQB 3265. Originally turquoise with white interior. It now sports a darker turquoise with mauve interior and LT1 SBC engine and 4L60E transmission. The movie was filmed at Pinewood studios in Atlanta a year and half ago. For some reason they wanted an Avanti, found out I owned one so they contacted me. I was never told if it would make the cut for the movie, apparently it did. Thanks for posting the pic.

Jim Rice
            Peachtree City, GA
            Well.... Bravo! ! ! The car looks awesome. Is it in many shots in the movie? It looks great in this scene.
            sals54

Comment

I can't imagine any case where reflections could cause the front Panel to appear that it has a "Hood" over it, like the Hood or upper horizontal portion of the front panel has been extended OVER the vertical portion!

Very strange. Certainly NOT as it was built.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by gthawkr2 View Post

Jim Rice
                Peachtree City, GA
                Congrats!!....Your Avanti looks beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
                  I found a reel of behind the scenes videos on YouTube from when the movie was being filmed. The scene with the Avanti is at the "1978 Pacific Coast Auto Show". The Avanti was in several shots.
                  That was really looking forward with a 1981 at the 1978 show.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    I can't imagine any case where reflections could cause the front Panel to appear that it has a "Hood" over it, like the Hood or upper horizontal portion of the front panel has been extended OVER the vertical portion!

Very strange. Certainly NOT as it was built.
                    Are you answering in the correct thread?? What are you talking about?
                    sals54

Comment

Apparently somebody at the studio was familiar with Avanti II s because when they called and I told them it was an 81 they said no problem especially when they saw that the cow catches have been removed from the front bumper

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                        Are you answering in the correct thread?? What are you talking about?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	81 Avanti II (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1705566 Under my Black Painted portion is exactly what I am seeing on a 20 Inch Monitor Sal, toss your 4 Inch screen Dumbphone and you will see the recessed Front Panel, if it's an illusion it sure is a good one, as it looks NOTHING like an Avanti!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54353[/ATTACH] Under my Black Painted portion is exactly what I am seeing on a 20 Inch Monitor Sal, toss your 4 Inch screen Dumbphone and you will see the recessed Front Panel, if it's an illusion it sure is a good one, as it looks NOTHING like an Avanti!
                          I think it is a illusion but I see what your talking about on my dumb phone.
                          Love the color!

Dean.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54353[/ATTACH] Under my Black Painted portion is exactly what I am seeing on a 20 Inch Monitor Sal, toss your 4 Inch screen Dumbphone and you will see the recessed Front Panel, if it's an illusion it sure is a good one, as it looks NOTHING like an Avanti!
                            Well thats really cute that you saw it your really huge 20" monitor, but I enlarged it to my 70" HD TV and still can't see what the heck you're talking about. I also walked out to my "life size" Avanti and checked it there as well. I'm still wondering if you know what the front of an Avanti is supposed to look like.
                            sals54

Comment

It's an optical illusion, plain and simple. The overhead strip light just happens to be reflecting right at the front edge of the car causing the illusion.

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                              Well thats really cute that you saw it your really huge 20" monitor, but I enlarged it to my 70" HD TV and still can't see what the heck you're talking about. I also walked out to my "life size" Avanti and checked it there as well. I'm still wondering if you know what the front of an Avanti is supposed to look like.
                              sigpic
                              Bob Shaw
                              Rush City, Minnesota
                              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Working...
                              X