Did Studebaker build any R4 engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Studebaker build any R4 engines?

Studebaker R4 engine? Were any R4 cars built, tested, photographed, or displayed? Or is the R4 a myth?

theavanti.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, theavanti.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Although impressive to look at, the R4 Avanti engine was considered a bit of a 'dog' in its day. Today, with its extremely high compression ratio and over-carburation, an engine such as this would be considered completely impractical for street use.

However, one Studebaker vehicle, a '64 Daytona hardtop, came off the Stude production line with an R4 engine.

Studebaker built about four more R4 cars.... Daytona convertibles/GT Hawks for testing/speed runs at Bonneville.

(No Avantis were built with an R4 engine....which is probably a blessing!)
    Last edited by SN-60; 05-19-2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

The R4's and even the R5 are NOT Myths, the Granatelli Bros. operating as Paxton Div. of Studebaker did build and run them quite successfully actually.
      Auto Magazine Editors did even drive one on the Street!

The R4's do exist in very small quantities of course, I never heard of anyone knowledgeable about Avantis call them a MYTH!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I appreciate the facts about the Daytona/GT Hawks. "No Avantis were built with an R4 engine" clarifies my confusion about the "Avanti R4 engine."

Comment

I never thought R4 engines were a myth, only that Avantis with "Avanti R4 engines" might be. Studebaker did tend to use "R4" with the Avanti name.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	R4-Engine-overhead-1000px-by-72dpi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1705505Not unless you make them
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

YUP............This pony ain't playing dead any time soon............

Comment

R-4 Picture

Thanks to Richard Quinn....He posted this picture some years back on the factory Daytona R-4 ...engine shot
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

Did Studebaker build any R4 engines?

Yes. Paxton was a wholly owned Division of Studebaker and produced all of the 'factory assembled' R4 engines.
                  Consistent with Studebaker Corporation's advertising nomenclature all of the 'High Performance' 'R' series engines were designated as being 'Avanti' engines. The R-1, R-2, R-3 & R-4.
                  No production Avanti's were sold with the 'Avanti powered' R-4 engine, and only a single production 'Super Lark' came so equipped

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    Although impressive to look at, the R4 Avanti engine was considered a bit of a 'dog' in its day. ...
                    It is interesting that the contemporary magazine Road Test ('Car Life' as I recall, -still have a copy or two stashed away) particularly noted that their test vehicle displayed strong torque characteristics that allowed it to smoothly pull from low RPM's in third gear, which seems inconsistent with what others have reported, at any rate the testers came off as quite pleased with the R-4 engine's performance and tractability (other than its prodigious fuel consumption)
                    Perhaps Car Life was being particularly generous with the poor struggling underdog company? or their test car was better tuned than any that came after? Heck if I know, as I've never driven that one.
                    There are quite a few R-4 engine 'conversions' and clone's out there, some have had their R-4 power for 50+ years, and apparently run well enough to satisfy their owners.

Comment

More here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hives-14-(R-4)

Craig

Comment

any reason why it wouldn't be just as well behaved as a standard single 4bbl engine given the progressive carb linkage?? (and goes like stink when you plant ze foot.......!!.)

Comment

Nice battery anchor on the factor photo.
                          Perry
                          \'50 Business Champion
                          \'50 Starlight Champion
                          \'60 Lark Convertible,
                          \'63 GT R1,
                          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

bezhawk, very nicely done. Interesting that Richard Quinn's photo shows two small air cleaners whereas the set up I got from Stu-V (circa 1971) used the AC single louvered aluminum top fitted to both carbs and I believe it was the same unit used on dual quad corvettes in the late fifties. As for what Jessie J stated, mine was good enough to put my GT Hawk to 14.4 in the quarter. I concur about the lack of economy and the thirst for 104 octane.
                            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]54267[/ATTACH]Not unless you make them
                              Very Nice !!! Nice touch between original pieces and your upgrades. Impressive starter cable.

Bob Caser
                              mrbobinc

Comment

Working...
                              X