Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how to make a hawk seat go back further for a handicapped person ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how to make a hawk seat go back further for a handicapped person ?

My wife has artificial knees and hips and has trouble getting out of a 64 hawk. If the seat went back a couple more inches that should do the trick. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
    Joe

I know that Studebaker dealers used to adjust the front seats to suit the customer and they would unbolt the seats and move them forward or backward and then re secure them. As I understand it there should be 2 or 3 sets of holes pre-drilled in the floor to allow for this. Either get under the car or pull back the carpet to see if this is the case with your Hawk.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks Charles I'll take a look

Comment

I put distances under the front of the seat for more legroom, it tilts back & I sit much better, no extra holes needed.

Comment

There are three sets of mounting holes in the tracks. If these are not sufficient, welding a bit of extension and drilling additional holes is pretty simple. Just make certain the alteration is strong enough to satisfy any safety concerns or liabilities.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

On my 57GH the floorpan has captured nuts to bolt the seat to...I did not mess with them.
            Any modifications that I did were on the seat frame itself...........Just don't put anybody but children in the back seat!
            Last edited by alaipairod; 05-19-2016, 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Noxnabaker...you put "distances" under your seat track. What are "distances"?

Comment

Tim333, well I mean kinda really thick "washers", I made them out of a thick pipe & used longer bolts, the only problem is that when the front of the seat lifts, the nut & bolt comes in different angles towards each other; the higher lift - the more angled.
                Try & find out! ...or don't.

Comment

On my 38 I took a piece of steel drilled holes that matched the bolts on the floorboard then drilled holes that matched the seat only moved them back a few inches. A couple washers between the floor and this piece of steel the thickness of the seat bolt heads and it works well. Use a class eight bolt not your standard hardware cheap bolt.

Comment

Years ago I had a need to do that on an old "X" brand car. I didn't want to cut, drill or weld anything on the car or seat so I took two ~14" long pieces of 2" wide X 1/4" mild steel and drilled holes to match the seat mount pattern in the floor and then drilled and countersunk two new holes about 2" toward the rear so I could tack weld two flat head bolts facing up like studs. Worked great and nothing had to be hacked to make it work.

Comment

Working...
                    X