Would you like a hearse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you like a hearse?

From time to time cars like this turn up. They are definitely unique and draw attention, but you want one? The idea of owning and driving a restored funeral coach doesn't appeal to me, but I know there are people who collect them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-f...m=222122111530
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Funny that you should bring this up. In the early '70s I spotted a 1963 Cadillac Hearse for sale on a used car lot. It was well within my price range and I needed a car. My brother, who was my mechanic, took one look at the car and he said that if I bought it he wouldn't work on it. It really wasn't haunted!!!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by FlatheadGeo View Post
      Funny that you should bring this up. In the early '70s I spotted a 1963 Cadillac Hearse for sale on a used car lot. It was well within my price range and I needed a car. My brother, who was my mechanic, took one look at the car and he said that if I bought it he wouldn't work on it. It really wasn't haunted!!!
      Any ghost, haunting his hearse, I would consider lazy, lacking imagination, and certainly having "low" ambition.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That car has nice proportions. I had a 52 pontiac ambulance, a 51 caddy hearse and a 52 caddy hearse. this was in the eighties. I liked the utility of these large vehicles. My 51 caddy had great lines too and drove better than a normal caddy due to its 156" wheelbase. No ghosts though.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

My Dad was a doctor in my home town. He drove a hearse to his house calls for a VERY short time until my Mom convinced him it wasn't a good idea. I'm not sure if he ever understood why!
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

One of the coolest cars I had ever seen was a 57 Chevy Hearse in all white, with Cragars on it, the back end lifted, and white curtains in the windows. I thought that was so cool and unique that I would love to have a hearse that was in great shape and could be driveable. If I had the space, I would probably own one and modify it to a street rod.

I would NOT buy this one for $35K though. That's too much to start with.
            Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
            1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

We had a Caddy hearse just when our son was born, 2 dogs & everything fitted in & was mighty fast on the highway too but some people seemed to not understand that the dead people who's been in it has already been dead... as for an ambulance people has actually died IN them!
              I'd have a hearse again if it's old enough.

Comment

There is a local funeral home company with two locations that we have already contracted with to use their Studebaker hearse. It is a 1929 that they use on request. It gets a fair amount of use.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Is that your future pre-planning? I hope you have booked it WEEEEELLLLL in advance!

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  There is a local funeral home company with two locations that we have already contracted with to use their Studebaker hearse. It is a 1929 that they use on request. It gets a fair amount of use.
                  Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                  1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Originally posted by BILT4ME View Post
                    Is that your future pre-planning? I hope you have booked it WEEEEELLLLL in advance!
                    Yes, I also hope that it is well in advance.
                    Not only pre-planning, but pre-paid. I am not looking to leave these decisions and problems to others. Many years ago we purchased mausoleum space, even though we already had plots. Now, we have pre-paid for all of the services, including use of the Studebaker hearse. We have also written our obituaries, except for a couple of key dates.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I don't know why people get creaped out by these. They are simply over-sized station wagons or under-sized sedan deliveries; and generally low mileage.
                      Forty years ago I had a '48 Cadillac Superior Hearse...quite the chick magnet! Sold it to a bluegrass band.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                      X