55 Speedtser Horn Button?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 Speedtser Horn Button?

What does the correct 55 Speedster horn button look like?

Parts book says 536729. I have seen several types and claims on pictures online.

Press photos show a lazy S. My car has this one.

SI has a number for a repro 800760 that looks a lot like the factory press photos and claims 53-55. Is that authentic enough for judging?

Thanks,
    Matt
    Attached Files
    Matthew Wendt

That is a 1956 President Horn Button. Is your Speedster Green and Yellow? If so, it may have been Lloyd Watts' car; he liked the 56 button. He also converted the car from a DG250 to a 3 and overdrive.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ
    Home of Lazarus and Meshach

Comment

I believe the correct horn button would the gold background with the lazy "S". Sorry, I don't have a photo of it but it is available from SI and is pictured in their catalog.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

It would be nice to have a Web page that showed the horn buttons used on different models and years. I thought I saw one years ago but can't find it now. Any horn button collectors out there ?

Comment

There is a past issue of TW that has an article about horn buttons with a bunch of photos. They are from the collection of one of our members. Perhaps someone will chime in with which month and year that was.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Wendt View Post
            What does the correct 55 Speedster horn button look like?

Parts book says 536729. I have seen several types and claims on pictures online.

Press photos show a lazy S. My car has this one.

SI has a number for a repro 800760 that looks a lot like the factory press photos and claims 53-55. Is that authentic enough for judging?

Thanks,
            Matt
            I also use the 1956 President sedan horn button In my Speedster (The Doctor's Car)....it's probably the classiest of all the '53 and later Studebaker horn buttons!

Comment

Horn button articles by Fred Fox appear in April 1983 Turning Wheels, with follow-ups in June, August, and October 1983 and January 1984.
              Turning Wheels was able to do COLOR inside pages when Bob Kabchefs feature appeared August 2008.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks, I will do some digging for those Turring Wheels issues. If there are any other unique traits of the 55 or Speedster button vs the later 53 and the 54 button, please let me know.

Thanks,
                Matt
                Matthew Wendt

Comment

[QUOTE He also converted the car from a DG250 to a 3 and overdrive.

Bob Miles

And when he did that he really 'made a car' out of it!!

Comment

Working...
                  X