PDA

View Full Version : Collector Wants to Buy 1952 Commander Convertible

BobPalma
05-18-2016, 09:54 AM
:) I just got a call from a prominent Indianapolis collector affiliated with The Indianapolis 500 Pace Car Reunion program. He wants to buy a 1952 Commander convertible to redo as a 1952 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car for his collection.

The candidate Commander need not have Indianapolis 500 provenance or be Maui Blue presently, but it will be refinished in Maui Blue with red leather and lettered accordingly to duplicate the 1952 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car. This gentleman has to resources and desire to do it right, so the car will not be disfigured and then cast aside half-done or anything like that.

The candidate should be as good as possible right now; he does not want to undertake any basket cases. It could be located anywhere but, of course, the closer it is to Indianapolis, the better.

PM me with any leads and I will pass them along. Thanks. :) :cool: BP

6hk71400
05-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Bob,
I used to own a 1952 Commander Maui Blue with the red leather interior that I dragged home. I sold it to buy another home 24 years ago to Lew Dandurand who in turn did a complete body off restoration. It had a 3 speed overdrive; it was sold new in Martinez, CA according to the production order.

Lew after he restored it then after driving it a few times sold the car. Lew can be contacted through the roster but if you need to contact him let me know. The car originally had a white top but Lew did not know that and put on a black top

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ
Home of Lazarus and Meschach

Studebaker Wheel
05-18-2016, 08:15 PM
Its been done.

studegary
05-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Frank Goss had an international winning restored one of these (Maui Blue 1952 Commander convertible). I do not remember who he sold it to. I think that it went to NJ. Frank is deceased, so I can not check with him. I would start by checking the SDC Roster for 1952 convertibles.
Frank also had an international winning 1951 Commander convertible that I checked out for him and picked up with him (before restoration). That car was originally Maui Blue, but since Frank did not want the two cars to both be blue, he had that one restored as a cream color.

studerex
05-18-2016, 09:48 PM
This one was at Indy in 2011. Don't know the owners posed with car.

Studebaker Wheel
05-18-2016, 10:58 PM
This one was at Indy in 2011. Don't know the owners posed with car.

Same car as in my post #3. Owner is from Wisconsin. Could look it up if interested.

BobPalma
05-19-2016, 06:36 AM
Same car as in my post #3. Owner is from Wisconsin. Could look it up if interested.

:) Yes, Richard; please do and PM me with his name.

Another '52 candidate has surfaced but is not done up as a Pace Car. This one could fill the order if it was for sale, so I'd like to be able to contact the owner. (I, too, met him at The Pace Car Reunion several years ago with Rex, but have forgotten his name.) :(

Thanks. :cool: BP

Studebaker Wheel
05-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Of course the original might be out there somewhere!

studerex
05-19-2016, 08:12 PM
:) Yes, Richard; please do and PM me with his name.

Another '52 candidate has surfaced but is not done up as a Pace Car. This one could fill the order if it was for sale, so I'd like to be able to contact the owner. (I, too, met him at The Pace Car Reunion several years ago with Rex, but have forgotten his name.) :(

Thanks. :cool: BP

Hey Bob, Are you going to be at the track for this years pace car reunion? I'll be there with the 29 touring.

BobPalma
05-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Hey Bob, Are you going to be at the track for this years pace car reunion? I'll be there with the 29 touring.

:( No, Rex; I won't be. Sorry. I'm spending time with friends from far and wide at the big Mecum Collector-Car auction at The State Fairgrounds. I have a MEDIA pass/lanyard good for the entire week...and they even sent a parking pass, too! :!: :cool: BP

Cowtown Commander
05-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Please take lots of pictures Rex. Hope the weather is nice, Iwould love old Indy cars and old pace cars and this should be the ultimate gathering!

studerex
05-20-2016, 06:19 PM
Heres today.

BobPalma
05-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Heres today.

:!: Very nice, Rex; thanks. It was a tad chilly, eh? :o :cool: BP

studerex
05-27-2016, 09:42 PM
Please take lots of pictures Rex. Hope the weather is nice, Iwould love old Indy cars and old pace cars and this should be the ultimate gathering!

I would post some photos but most members here would not appreciate seeing 30 of the same corvette or 30 of the same camaros. I was the only Studebaker there. But some would like this video on you tube.
https://youtu.be/JR2GLSpQxhA

Studebaker Wheel
05-28-2016, 12:19 AM
Pretty neat! While the '29 President model FH (125" w.b.) roadster was the pace car at Indy there were three model FE President tourings (135" w.b.) like Rex's that were there also and acted as the "official cars."
54589 54590

studerex
05-28-2016, 10:24 AM
:) I just got a call from a prominent Indianapolis collector affiliated with The Indianapolis 500 Pace Car Reunion program. He wants to buy a 1952 Commander convertible to redo as a 1952 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car for his collection.

The candidate Commander need not have Indianapolis 500 provenance or be Maui Blue presently, but it will be refinished in Maui Blue with red leather and lettered accordingly to duplicate the 1952 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car. This gentleman has to resources and desire to do it right, so the car will not be disfigured and then cast aside half-done or anything like that.

The candidate should be as good as possible right now; he does not want to undertake any basket cases. It could be located anywhere but, of course, the closer it is to Indianapolis, the better.

PM me with any leads and I will pass them along. Thanks. :) :cool: BP

Bob, is the guys name that is looking for a 52 Beeler. He had 3 or 4 pace cars there at the event.

Cowtown Commander
05-28-2016, 10:56 PM
Thanks for posting Rex and Richard. I enjoyed the pictures and videio

BobPalma
05-29-2016, 07:05 AM
Bob, is the guys name that is looking for a 52 Beeler. He had 3 or 4 pace cars there at the event.

;) No, it's not, Rex.

Regarding the Pace Car Reunion: I spoke with my Hudson friend Larry Kennedy yesterday at The Ninth Annual Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Drags at little Brown County Raceway south of Indianapolis. We had 22 Studebakers present, plus Larry's hot rod 1950 Hudson Super Six Coupe.

Larry was at the Pace Car Reunion with you. He owns a genuine 1971 Dodge Challenger Indianapolis 500 Festival Car. I found that car and was instrumental in Larry buying it about 30 years ago. It is documented as the car assigned to Indianapolis Motor Speedway [then] Board of Directors member XXX Kennedy, owner of Kennedy Tank in Indianapolis...but no relation to Larry of which he is aware.

Larry and his '71 are on the right in this photo. I'm in the center with my 1971 Barracuda convertible. On the left is Jim Beall of Logansport IN. Jim's 1971 Challenger is also a documented 1971 Indianapolis 500 Festival Car; a 340. Jim had his 340 car at The 2016 Pace Car Reunion, so you may have seen it, too. Jim has a correct graphics package for his car but has elected to not install it. I was also instrumental in Jim acquiring that car. (Technically, at one time I owned all three '71s in this photo, but only two of them at any one time before passing them along to waiting buyers. Larry Kennedy also bought the 340 car from me and then kept it, unrestored, for several years before selling it to Jim. Jim did a wonderful job restoring it; it is darn near perfect.)

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1425.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/DSCF1425.jpg.html)

Larry's Festival Car was one of six 1971 Challenger "Pace Cars" at the event, five of which were documented 1971 Indianapolis 500 Festival Cars, certainly a record. (The Serial Numbers of all 1971 Dodge Challenger Pace and Festival Cars are well known and in circulation, so it isn't possible to pass off a fake as a Festival Car unless one performs the illegal act of altering a Vehicle Identification Number.)

Larry reported as you said, that the proportion of Camaros and Corvettes among the "Pace Cars" from the last five years or so was just short of obscene. He felt that was one reason they cut off the number of entries at 250, IIRC, or the place would have been further overrun with late model Chevrolet "Pace Cars" that had not previously even been at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway...and probably not even in the city of Indianapolis!

'Good to hear that you enjoyed yourself. :cool: BP

studerex
05-29-2016, 11:58 AM
Bob, I looked over those challengers. I used to have a 70 RT convertible and should have kept it. I'm still waiting for that 71 barracuda.

studegary
05-30-2016, 01:21 PM
In my opinion, it would be good for that Pace Car Reunion to have a rolling 25 years of age cut off for participation (rather than cut off the number of entries).

avanti1982
05-31-2016, 12:57 PM
nice car 1952

52 Ragtop
05-31-2016, 09:06 PM
That looks like my car, I don't remember where that was.

Jim

6hk71400
06-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Bob Palma,

Did your collector friend find a 1952 Commander Convertible?

Bob Miles

BobPalma
06-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Bob Palma,

Did your collector friend find a 1952 Commander Convertible?

Bob Miles

:o Not that I know of, Bob. I hooked him up with an owner who might consider selling his '52, but haven't heard back from either of them as to how it went (assuming they made contact). :cool: BP