Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

245 Commander engine to a Chevy 5 speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 245 Commander engine to a Chevy 5 speed?

Hi. After a couple of hours of searching could anybody tell me or lead me in the right direction of how to mate a Chevy T-5 5 speed to a 245 Commander engine. I see that it can be done with a newer V8 but nothing about the flathead 6. Thanks

Let me know. I would consider it as well.

Comment

Well...it could be that, so far, no one has done it. You could be the first. Or at least, the first to try and publish the results. As in any such attempt, (someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong) there are a few items required. A flange adapter will need to be machined to mate either a bellhousing, or transmission flange, to the Studebaker engine, and a pilot bearing adapter. In addition, shift linkage, and drive shaft will probably have to be adjusted/modified to accommodate for the added flange adapter.

In 1964 I used a J.C. Whitney adapter kit to attach an Oldsmobile V8 to an old Ford/Lincoln top loader three speed, installed in a 1928 A Model.

It's truly a wonder I'm still alive.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I am sure most here will agree, no one knows of anyone that has ever done this, so you are on your own to design the adapter parts mentioned in Post #3 to make it work.

I know a guy who is a Machinist that built his Transtar truck with a 5 Speed Overdrive, but it had the Champion 185 c.i.d. Engine, a completely different Engine.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sam, I have used S10 T5's on 6's. But not the big six. I would have to see a pic of the bellhousing. And dimensions of the register, probably 4.680". And depth from the face of the trans mount face to the block. Does it have a support plate? These are just starters.

Comment

I'd look at a Ford T5 or Chevy, as the Mustang T5 ( and a new Tremec T5) uses the same bolt pattern as the Stude B-W bell housing all years. There are differences in the input shaft retainer diameter but either machining down the retainer of making a "filler" ring should make that work, Other differences would be in pilot bearing size and maybe the length of the shaft, some throw out bearing sliding area machining or sleeving, and maybe a spacer plate. If they weren't so weak, they would be a better unit in a V8 car, but with a 6 they are plenty strong. Some info here may help, download and read the PDF it has most of the measurements. http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=102
            and the aftermarket performance guide here: http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=93
            Then do a search for Mustang T5 they are more plentiful and cheaper.
            Last edited by karterfred88; 05-17-2016, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X