No announcement yet.

Anybody ever use these freeze plugs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Anybody ever use these freeze plugs???

Expandable plugs have been used for years for repairs where it is impractical to put in the original style. I have not used them myself, but I have seen engines with one or two in place. I have always used the original style, but in the car they can be very hard to install.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
      Expandable plugs have been used for years for repairs where it is impractical to put in the original style. I have not used them myself, but I have seen engines with one or two in place. I have always used the original style, but in the car they can be very hard to install.
      I did many, many years ago and had no problems that I recall. Like 52-fan says they are a life saver with in the car installations. I did not have good luck with the rubber expanding plugs though.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Used them 40 plus years ago on my GT Hawk as an emergency measure-worked fine at the time, but only kept the car about 2 years after they were put in, don't know about long term life.

Comment

I've used a lot of them in the past with great results. They can be a lifesaver when the only other way to get to the freeze plug is by removing either engine parts or the entire engine. Never had one fail. I have also found them installed in engines of cars I bought. Some I replaced when engine work was required and others I just left.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

yes those are the best plugs , these are the only kind i wouid use thay dont rust out , the old concaved & beveled kind rust out , thay are junk up to these , have been using them for 40 + years, did not know where to find them till now , thanks for up date dan.

Comment

Carry one of these in my car if needed to for easy on the road replacement. As In many years of Studebaker driving the plug that will let go is one of ones that is hard to get at on the road.Even better if more than one Studebaker on the road together. Its like most preventive measures if you have it won't be needed.

Comment

As I understand it the reliability of expandable plugs that we enjoyed in the past is no longer as they are now made in China and employ plain steel innards which tend to rust out.

Still, they could serve well for a roadside emergency but beware after that...

Comment

Dorman used to make an all copper type of plug. Also made brass concave and "Welsh" type plugs.
                  Don't know if they are still available as Dorman was bought by the Help/Motormite folks a few years ago. And I know they "cherry picked" the Dorman line.
                  A lot of the old time Dorman parts have been discontinued.
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I have a box of the brass/copper ones somewhere. I don't remember how many are there tho.

Dean.

Comment

I have used the Dorman expandable plugs for many years and they work well. They are a real time saver when a freeze plug needs to be replaced while the engine is in the car. Once they are installed, they will last as long as a regular type plug. Bud

Comment

I used the Dorman style in the past 15 years, the dies had worn out and the embossed hex was so bad even a vice grip wouldn't hold it. Be aware of this possibility.

Comment

I don't find it hard to believe that a plug from china is not as good as what we use to have. It's time to stop buying any parts made in china. And every time I say that all I hear is but they don't build them here anymore. That's because every company started to buy from china.

Comment

The shop near me stopped selling them years ago when Dorman stopped selling them. They "did" work well, no idea on any current version.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by dannyo View Post
                              yes those are the best plugs , these are the only kind i wouid use thay dont rust out , the old concaved & beveled kind rust out , thay are junk up to these , have been using them for 40 + years, did not know where to find them till now , thanks for up date dan.
                              Ditto. I love this style plug. No trouble using them for many decades.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X