Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need JTS blower mount and tensioner...Anybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need JTS blower mount and tensioner...Anybody?

Looking for this JTS part...I need the supercharger mount and tensioner assy. for a 63-64 JTS R2 Lark or Hawk. Anybody have one or know of one that may be available? Has this been reproduced before? I stumbled across the correct JTS water manifold recently and am looking to complete it....Help
    Click image for larger version

Name:	supercharger mount.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1750918 Sorry for swiping the photo from here and not giving credit but I forgot who took it. But it does show the part well.
    "Fords are cars Studebakers are Automobiles" -Jerry Washburn

No reproductions that I have ever heard of, but Supercharger rebuilders like John Erb, Jon Meyer, Dave Thibeault should have a few NOS, just bring a wheelbarrow of cash!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Why not reproduce it yourself?....The tensioner spring, pulley arm, and pulley are basically the same as '57-'58 GH...and are fairly common.

As far as the bracket itself, find someone who has one of these parts off of their Stude, and ask them to simply outline the part on thin cardboard stock (in 3 dimensions, of course) with all holes, studs, etc, clearly marked.

Then have someone with a couple pieces of clean 1/4" steel, a bench press, a grinder, and a mig welder fab one up for you.

Even if it doesn't look perfect, 90% of it is hidden by the blower anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        Why not reproduce it yourself?....The tensioner spring, pulley arm, and pulley are basically the same as '57-'58 GH...and are fairly common.

As far as the bracket itself, find someone who has one of these parts off of their Stude, and ask them to simply outline the part on thin cardboard stock (in 3 dimensions, of course) with all holes, studs, etc, clearly marked.

Then have someone with a couple pieces of clean 1/4" steel, a bench press, a grinder, and a mig welder fab one up for you.

Even if it doesn't look perfect, 90% of it is hidden by the blower anyway!
        As expensive as these OEM parts are when they come up for sale, they're still less expensive than any quote I've gotten from a fab shop.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Fabrication of one likely isnt out of the question for me. After my (Turbo 2r5 Freebie) build I suspect i could do it, but some times ya just dont want to reinvent the wheel when the factory did a fair to good job on it the first time around. if i cant find one for sale i will consider 3D modeling one and reproducing it if i can get my hands on one to model that is. Just puttin my feelers out there ya know....

Comment

I'm about 90% certain that Lionel Stone used to reproduce the supercharger mount that you have pictured. Also, I've seen two NOS mounts without the tensioner arm on eBay in the past year.
            Last edited by 61Lark; 05-12-2016, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I will loan you a supercharger mounting to see if you can reproduce it.
              I also have a complete R2 engine from a 1963 Hawk for sale.
              It has the correct brackets and manifold ,correct R2 carburator, a N.O.S. air filter and a power shift transmission
              I sold a couple of mounting brackets to Brent Hagen and he may have one for sale.
              I have a Lionel Stone reproduced tensioner arm and the spring and possible a pulley.Sorry that I did not get back to you but I assumed you found these items
              I am glad the manifold worked out for you.
              I am slowly getting back to selling parts.
              Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Stone reproduced the Avanti tensioner arm. The one with 2 springs.

Comment

If you're gonna have one fabricated, and don't care if its stock, then you may want to consider changing the direction of the "tensioner". Instead of expanding the belt to create tension, put a compressing tensioner on it. All the modern systems use this method and its been a proven winner. You won't throw any more belts
                  sals54

Comment

You could also get the original drawings for the brackets from the Studebaker Museum. I did that for the Avanti bracketry and modeled it up in 3D. Never did get around to building one though....

Comment

A good point in Post #9; that increases the belt wrap on the pulleys, decreasing the propensity to slip at high RPMs, when the supercharger is straining to produce maximum boost. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You know... A good idea in this modern electronic age would be to have a tech section on 3d renderings.
                        Back in the day, there was the 'keeper of templates' (which probably still exits)..
                        I have a couple of 3d renderings that will someday go into a machined part...
                        A repository for all to use would ne neat... Why reinvent the wheel

Originally posted by silverhawk1958 View Post
                        You could also get the original drawings for the brackets from the Studebaker Museum. I did that for the Avanti bracketry and modeled it up in 3D. Never did get around to building one though....
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          You know... A good idea in this modern electronic age would be to have a tech section on 3d renderings.
                          Back in the day, there was the 'keeper of templates' (which probably still exits)..
                          I have a couple of 3d renderings that will someday go into a machined part...
                          A repository for all to use would ne neat... Why reinvent the wheel
                          I support this.... I would "Donate" my renderings I have done for my turbo champion.

Comment

I'm in, I've got models of the Avanti blower mount and tensioner arm as well as the special king pin mounting knuckle that was used on some R3 cars.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhawk1958 View Post
                              Wow I didn't know that was an option , getting copies of the drawings? How do I go about this? I guess Im going need the part numbers first.

Comment

Working...
                              X