Who services Superchargers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who services Superchargers

I feel my Supercharger on my 58 golden hawk should be serviced. Any suggestions where I can get this done?
    If i turn the pulley it turns very easily no drag unless I turn very slow then I feel some resistance. Should it be rebuilt?

Thanks, Don.
    sigpic
    58 Golden Hawk
    DSamborski
    Pillager, MN

The supercharger has an electromagnet engagement clutch which is engaged when the engine is running and freewheels when not. To test it you need to follow certain operations and RPM guidelines to test both the variable pulley operation and the solenoid connect disconnect sequence. See page 940 of this old Motors Manual to get an idea if there is really any need have the supercharger "serviced" (overhauled).http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...4/mm60stu.html

Comment

There is no electromagnetic clutch. The belt drive never disengages. The split pulley changes its effective size in order to produce useful boost at relatively low engine speeds without driving the supercharger too fast at higher engine speeds. There's a lot of good information at: http://vs57.y-block.info/ .
      The "Motors Auto Manual" section included disassembly instructions. It's a good article. I remember it from the '60's.
      Mike

Comment

Do you know why the pulley would not change as rpms are increased. Unit is seems to be running fine no odd noises as such. But when i increase rpms the pulley doesn't pull together.
        sigpic
        58 Golden Hawk
        DSamborski
        Pillager, MN

Comment

Does the arm the idler pulley is mounted on move freely? Is the rear half of the pulley on the supercharger free to slide? If either of the two large "O" rings between the supercharger halves is broken or leaking, pressure to the piston that moves the pulley halves together won't be enough to overcome the spring on the idler arm, which pulls the belt down into the groove between the pulley halves. Pressure from the supercharger scroll goes through the space between those two large "O" rings, through the solenoid, unless the switch on the throttle linkage is operated, to the piston. There are also two smaller "O" rings that seal the solenoid. They could be dried up and leaking.
          Mike
          Last edited by Mike; 05-10-2016, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I have recently rebuilt three of four blowers for customers in the last 2 months. One was a McCulloch for Hyman Classic Cars, here in St. Louis, For a Packard Hawk. It needed everything! The splines on the sliding pulley were very badly worn. I put a new solenoid and oil pump, and all races, and bearings. New drive element, and of course the pulley had to be replaced too.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by don samborski View Post
              Do you know why the pulley would not change as rpms are increased. Unit is seems to be running fine no odd noises as such. But when i increase rpms the pulley doesn't pull together.
              I believe there should be a switch on the carb linkage that at a point activates the solenoid on the blower & changes the belt drive. The switch is either the same or just similar to the one used on overdrive cars. I'd have to check the parts book to be sure. Too tired & lazy to do it now.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                I believe there should be a switch on the carb linkage that at a point activates the solenoid on the blower & changes the belt drive. The switch is either the same or just similar to the one used on overdrive cars. I'd have to check the parts book to be sure. Too tired & lazy to do it now.
                'Tis Spring!
                Most od kick-down switches are double pole, normally open/normally closed. The switch on the throttle linkage that activates the solenoid is single pole, normally open.
                When maximum power is needed, (wide open throttle), it activates the solenoid. This blocks the passage to the cylinder that allows supercharger pressure to move the pulley halves together. The spring on the idler arm forces the belt to spread the pulley halves; producing maximum boost.
                His problem is pressure is never forcing the pulley halves together. The supercharger is stuck in high boost.
                I'm inclined to suspect the pulley halves are dirty or rusted. The design doesn't provide for positive lubrication to the split pulley and it isn't sealed against dirt. That part of the supercharger can be disassembled with normal tools, and without splitting the housing. The idler arm and its spring have the same problems with lack of lubrication and dirt.
                Mike M

Comment

Working...
                X