1951 Starlight Commander Value help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Starlight Commander Value help

I looked at this 1951 Studebaker Starlight Commander today. We loosely agreed on $2700(it can change). I am checking on the value you guys see.
    This is the ad:
    1951 Studebaker Commander coupe v-8 now 12volt (have original 6volt parts) runs great. Dual exhaust. New glass, rubber seals. Needs interior (have all interior bones.) New tires and brakes. Rust free. Original spare.
    I have confirmed it has no rust whatsoever other than standard surface rust on the frame. It starts right up and runs well, no smoke. The tranny will need attention. Right now it shifts only if you move the shifter but it does shift and overdrive seems to kick in. The interior is all there except one door panel trim piece and the handles. It will need a steering wheel, horn button and heater blower fan. The lights work, signal switch is after market and will need some attention. Brakes well, steers well, has all the new rubber to install. All chrome and emblems are there. Glove box is useable. speedo does not work. Windshield and wings along with rubber for all windows has been replaced. Serial number is 8810117. Paint is 20 footer and top could be repainted. Not looking for a show car but a nice driver. Drove today in AZ and engine temp was steady. Gas gauge/sender does not work. Chrome is decent and lenses are in really good shape except one of the turn signals in front is cracked. No dents and very straight. He has seats, door panels, rear panels and sill plates. He has the oil bath air cleaner. Tires are new on original rims.
    What are your thoughts on the possible price?

51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

It appears you are looking at a '51 Commander with the bulletnose from 1950; VIN#8810117, assembled in Los Angeles. Does not appear to be an original color; also has an automatic transmission, so the shifting issues that concern you may simply need explained.
    That DG200 automatic is practically bulletproof; Frank Mundy drove an identical car to three NASCAR wins in 1951; Shrocks reproduces the steering wheel, with your core. You need A/C in Mesa and it's already 12-volt!

I don't see any reason why this is not already in your driveway. But, that's just me. If I didn't already have one...and it weren't 2000 miles away...!
    Last edited by rockne10; 05-09-2016, 05:07 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If the car is truly rust free, I think the price is reasonable for a Commander.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I have a bill of sale and agreed price. It should be in the driveway in a couple of days.
        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Throw the money at the seller and drive it away before he changes his mind!
          Mike Davis
          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Its worth it just cause of the wacky back window . . .

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
              Its worth it just cause of the wacky back window . . .
              AARRGGH!
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I noticed the metal strips at the bottom of the door panels. Is this normal?
                62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Yes it is a top of the line Trim level 5 per the body Tag on the firewall, so it also has other trim like the Rocker Panel Mouldings, SS Rear Fender Stone Guards, Windshield Trim as well as the Stainless Steel Door Panel Trim. Looks like a keeper!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If it were close to me, I would suggest you back away and send me the seller's info. Since I'm too faraway, I say GRAB IT!
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

The blue color of the engine bay is the original color, FYI. With the Automatic Drive is should have a 3:54 rear axle, good for hiway travel!

Comment

Rockne10 alluded to it but a bit more info; The Studebaker V-8 automatics start out in 2nd gear. If you want 1st gear you must manually move the lever to L. You can then shift to Drive once you get rolling or do the low-drive-low dance to shift and hold 2nd gear. 6 cylinder transmissions start in 1st as one expects. Good Luck! Steve
                        sigpic

Comment

This car will not shift out of 2nd to third. It has to manually be shifted right now. It also dies while in gear. I consider this minor problems though.
                          62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I had a 1950 Standard 8 Packard with Ultramatic. It started shifting ok and drove it from Utah to San Diego to Tucson years ago. It developed that problem of dying in gear when I stopped. Changed out the fluid but no improvement. The direct drive clutch was locking up and would not disengage at a stop so I had to shift to neutral then feather the throttle to get started again. Fortunately, there was/is a transmission guy that knows and rebuilds older transmissions here in Tucson EXCEPT the DG transmission.

I know next to nothing about the DG 200 and 250 transmissions. I don't know if it is a similar problem or not but maybe the transmission will need to come out. If that is the case and you find someone in Mesa that does work on the transmission(s) let me know. I have the DG 250 for the Speedster out and the transmission in my 1st series 1955 Commander is still in the car. The linkage for the anti creep is still hooked up in that car.

I did see the ad for that car. Looks like a good one.

Bob Miles
                            Tucson AZ
                            Home of Lazarus and Meshach

Comment

I will let you know on the tranny. The car is 4th in line to get driver ready so it may be awhile before I dive in. I am working on a 62 Volvo 544 right now, then comes the Metropolitan, then the 53 Commander then the 51. I retire in 12 days and needed some things to do.
                              62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X