Clear All

• I made it & she made it!

I MADE IT & SHE MADE IT!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jennifer,Mom&scarface.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1750891

Wo Hoo! What a week! I almost changed my mind about driving to the South Bend swap meet. I had wanted to attend both, York and South Bend. Had to skip York, and had my heart set on getting to SB. Made reservations and then was informed that it was the weekend that my daughter, Jennifer, was graduating from her University the same weekend. Late in the previous week, I had decided to cancel the trip. Then, my wife suggested, "Why not go Wednesday, spend Thursday & Friday, get up early Saturday, and you can make it back in time for the ceremony." The ceremony was not until 7:30 Saturday evening.

I was still reluctant to risk cutting the timing that short, for the distance involved. Spent some more time agonizing over the decision to attend, but since my wife, Donnie, had added approval by her encouragement, I decided to test my "multi-tasking" (probably more correct to call it "sequential tasking") and make both events.

Wednesday morning, I drove out of my driveway at 7AM. 383.7 miles later, I made a "pit stop" at Dry Ridge Ky. to fill up, (empty another container ), and buy a burger. I arrived in Plymouth Indiana at approximately 4:30PM. The Super 8 (two star) motel is where I made my reservations. Checked in, and drove across the road to a Bob Evans Restaurant. Ordered a Breakfast (for supper), went back to the room, turned on the TV, and promptly fell asleep.

Next morning, I went to check out the "FREE BREAKFAST." The nice ladies at the desk told me about it the night before. Well...I did pour myself a cup of coffee, go back to my room, and look into the bag of "just in case" stuff my wonderful wife had insisted I bring along. She had packed an apple struddle pastry. I have discovered they do not drive my diabetes out of control. It is a guilty pleasure that somehow helps me tolerate my daily insulin routine. Also, this time, it saved me from returning across the road to the Bob Evans and pigging out on pancakes.

Since the swap meet didn't officially start until Friday, I had pondered how to spend my time on Thursday. In my mind, I envisioned going by the Fairgrounds to see if anyone would be there, and offer assistance if any was needed setting up. Since I was not selling anything,
    I wasn't even sure if I would be allowed in. I figured that if that didn't work out, I could go to the museum or Studebaker International's store. Well...when I drove up to the fairgrounds, I was pleasantly surprised! Not only was it a hotbed of activity, but very welcoming, friendly folks, busy hustling boxes of parts, pushing hand trucks, and bright colored vest wearing staff offering assistance. I found what I thought would be an out of the way parking spot, and walked into the main building. What a pleasant experience. To a person, every one I encountered, was a friendly face. I managed to assist some bring in boxes. One gentleman, using one of those electric scooters, seemed especially appreciative for my assistance. For the amount of boxes we carried in, I was surprised at the volume of parts that ended up on his table. Either someone else brought other items later, or he is the best box packer in the SDC!

One of my bucket list goals, was to be sure to meet Bob Peterson. And, as a bonus, traveling with him was Ian Mackellar from

Victoria, Australia. I realized, some meet in the past, I had encountered Bob, but never had we introduced ourselves to each other. I did thank him for (years ago) selling me a very lousy steering wheel on ebay. It turned out to be just the core I needed to exchange with the Schrocks for my new Land Cruiser steering wheel. I almost offered to help them unload that trailer full of nice California sheet metal, but managed to slink away while they were not looking.

Before I realized it...it was already after noon! Wandered over to those wonderful ladies preparing food up front. Picked up a hotdog, piece of peach pie, and shared a table with Ryan Patrualski (try pronouncing that name with a drawl), and "Arrow Head" (Homer Hinchliff) where, in addition to Studebaker, we swapped stories 'bout Studebaker, motorcycles, and making (knapping) arrow heads.

Honestly, I was having such a great time meeting, greeting, and enjoying the fellowship among my SDC friends, that the day literally flew by. Before I knew it, they were making an announcement about closing the gates for the day. My initial concerns about how to spend the day were forgotten. I think it was Ed George who invited me to the evening "tailgate party" at the meet headquarters motel parking lot. There, the fellowship continued. It was kinda like this forum, where we conversed much like we do here. Only, with face to face conversation, we managed to murder the language by attempting to speak it, rather than spell it. Ian Mackellar was very gracious by not pointing out that we all talk
    with a strange accent.

While, for me, it was Ed George who gave “face” to the parking lot “Tailgate Party,” I realize there were others who assisted in setting up the tables, manned the grille, and contributed to hosting the event. To all involved, a heartfelt THANK YOU! There, I met the Davis brothers from Arkansas. Again, it was one of those wonderful times you wish wouldn't end, but the realities of keeping to a schedule, began whispering, “you gotta go,” into my aging brain. I reluctantly crawled into my old Dodge Ram and made it back to the motel in Plymouth at sunset.

The next morning, Friday, I checked out of the motel. Made a note of my Thursday mileage (56), zeroed out my trip meter, and headed back to the fairgrounds. Now, the clock was really ticking. One of the highlights of this trip was getting to engage in a little fellowship with Ted Harbit and Mrs. Harbit. What a wonderful couple. Here's a couple of accomplished folks, who look you straight in the eye, with sincere gracious humility. Without actually saying it, they give testimony to “clean living,” and being God's children.

Sharing the booth with Ted, was Bob Palma. It could be said that Bob has never met a stranger. But, since we are all Studebaker fans...what could be “Stranger” than that???!!! I thanked him for the discount coupon for Hemmings Classic Car magazine. How else could a CASO (cheap a$$ Studebaker owner) be enticed into subscribing?

Gosh...I know this tale is getting long, (and boring), but how else can you convey such great times? (Certainly not with a “tweet.”) Before I knew it, the clock hands were converging on Noon. I still managed to engage in a conversation with Tom Curtis. Always, interesting, and pleasant experience. We all benefit from his dedication, and enthusiasm. Thank you Tom for the time and work you do.
    I bought one of those new flex oil gauge lines from Jim Turner, exhaust gaskets from Jon Meyer, and a crankshaft gear installer tool from Phil Harris. As a testimony to the wise intellect of Bob Peterson, most of his stash was already sold before loading it on his trailer. However, I did manage to extract two NOS carburetors from his "Not Pre-Sold" inventory. Had some great CASO banter (negotiation?) with Barry Hackney over a couple of brake drums. He didn't sell, and I didn't buy...but it was fun anyway. For all of you who took my money, you should know, it is not a common occurrence. If this trip was to be evaluated in terms of pure economic practical reasoning...it was a foolish exercise. In terms of collecting memories for a 71 year-old geriatric (afflicted with congenital immaturity)...PRICELESS!!!

Tearing myself away from the crowd, I reluctantly waddled to my truck, fired it up, drove around to Tom Karkiewicz's red T-cab and retrieved the 5 lug rims he had brought from home. I pulled out of the fairgrounds at noon. Again, I made one stop to refuel at Dry Ridge, Ky. Exactly, at 10PM, I pulled into my driveway. After dodging jay walking deer, potholes, construction zones, distracted texting drivers, and one “Kamakasi “ bird-strike...my odometer revealed I had successfully negotiated 691 miles in ten hours.

WOO HOO! I DID IT!...

Next day, Saturday...SHE DID IT!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jennifer Graduation 5-07-16.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1750892

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Good to meet you in the parking lot Thursday night. It was funny when we realized who the guy we were talking to was. You weren't supposed to be there.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

jclary, this is an absolutely, 100% , entertaining, well written story ! Thanks for making me smile and have such a positive feeling this morning ! Isn't it funny when you set at a silly computer and realize you're grinning all over the place, ha ! Thanks again sir, and hooray for your ladies too !

Comment

jclary: Thanks for sharing such a great story on your swap meet experience and congratulations to your daughter, Jennifer, for earning her degree.
        Last edited by Bob Bryant; 05-09-2016, 04:03 PM. Reason: incorrect name
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
          jclary, this is an absolutely, 100% , entertaining, well written story ! Thanks for making me smile and have such a positive feeling this morning ! Isn't it funny when you set at a silly computer and realize you're grinning all over the place, ha ! Thanks again sir, and hooray for your ladies too !
          Took the words right out of my mouth (a good thing too!)!
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks for those kind words John. Actually all the compliments go to Mary Ann. She's the stable force. It was nice to put a face to the J. Clary I see on the forum. And a few others we got to meet.

Ted

Comment

Glad to hear you had a great time and made it home safe! Ed George and Company always put on a great time at the Comfort Suites on the south side of South Bend. They even make T-shirts for the event. He is planning a real nice one for the International next year too.

Comment

A great story, John; I'm happy we were able to touch bases. Thanks for executing such a yeoman effort to attend; whew!

Congratulations to your daughter. You might have enjoyed the Swap Meet, but her graduation had to be the higher point of the weekend.

'Good to hear you are back safely. Best wishes to her as she sets out. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Congratulations on having two successful events. Good times in SB and a very good time seeing your young one get her degree. We wish her much success in her future endevors. Have fun

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
                    Thanks for those kind words John. Actually all the compliments go to Mary Ann. She's the stable force. It was nice to put a face to the J. Clary I see on the forum. And a few others we got to meet.
                    Ted
                    Well Ted...No matter what the difference in intellect or talents you and I share, when it comes to "quality control" in picking a wife, both of us have excellent judgement.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    A great story, John; I'm happy we were able to touch bases. Thanks for executing such a yeoman effort to attend; whew!

Congratulations to your daughter. You might have enjoyed the Swap Meet, but her graduation had to be the higher point of the weekend.

'Good to hear you are back safely. Best wishes to her as she sets out. BP
                    You got that right Bob. One big difference was that nothing happened in South Bend to cause me to get a lump in my throat and get weepy. Tears of joy, of course. I had jokingly been telling friends that Jennifer took a break from college to have a couple of teenagers. Hearing that...my wife informed me that I should not repeat that without a little more explaining. She thought I was making it sound like Jennifer had to drop out of school and get married because she got pregnant. Well, I hadn't thought of that. Actually, she got married in 1994. Her daughter, Jordan, wasn't born until 1998. Son Luke was born in 2002. Thus, my corny joke, "She dropped out of school to have a couple of teenagers."

One of the highlights of the ceremony came during the "Commencement Address," when I felt a vibration on my silenced cell phone. Her message was, "Sorry for the liberalness. Doubt you are surprised."

Wow! Confirmation that I raised her right! She gets it! And...she has confidence in me, to know I wouldn't be surprised. It was the usual blather about (paraphrasing here) how we should strive to correct the mistakes of the "creator," and celebrate diversity. Oh...that's diversity, except when it comes to ideas, opinions, and judgement. In other words, we must all learn to think alike....like him.

Actually, I would have liked to meet the guy. I timed him. It is the first 15 minute Commencement speech I've ever attended that took only 18 minutes.

Back to the South Bend meet. I got so involved attempting to take it all in, meet all the folks I could, in the limited time I had, I forgot all about my I phone and the excellent camera feature it has. I did not take a single picture the whole trip. Never crossed my mind. It is a failure I can live with. I have the memories, and will not be stressing my loved ones into having to fake interest in pictures of my adventure.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, I THOUGHT that was you I saw Friday morning...so sorry I did not renew our acquaintance from Maggie Valley! Congrats on your successful quests!
                      So many others I wanted to meet but missed...I look forward to seeing y'all at SB next year, if not before.
                      Mike Davis
                      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

jclary, good to see you and glad you made it home safe. I myself, got home at 1:30 am (13 hours).
                        Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
                        65 Cruiser
                        64 Champ
                        40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

OH...one more thing...She graduated, Magna Cum Laude.

I graduated...MUSTABEENUGHMISTAKE
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Well John, I'm glad you were able to accomplish both of your weekend goals! South Bend is a very cool event, every year. I've missed it for a few years since our move here to Florida, but I really would like to make the Intl. next year. Again, congrats to you AND your daughter. Great accomplishments by you both. Bill

Comment

John,
                              Sorry to have missed you, but it sounds like you had a great time, and a nice trip to & from. Also, sounds like you are getting excellent gas mileage. I traveled 665 miles, round trip, and got around 19 MPG in the 56J. Did you keep track of your MPG?

Thanks,
                              Joe H

Comment

Working...
                              X