Texas Rebel wrecks work truck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Rebel wrecks work truck.

Many of you know Barry Hackney fro Houston, Texas, who is often on the forum. When Joe and I got to South Bend we were looking for Barry's familiar Ford truck so I could return a bumper to him. Later, when we saw Barry he was in a truck with a temporary plate and a sticker from an Arkansas dealership. We found out that Barry was involved in an accident on the way to South Bend and his old truck destroyed. To make it worse, many of the parts he was hauling, including some that were pre sold for delivery, were damaged or destroyed. A bad day indeed.
    I have attached a picture that has Barry's old truck in the background. Many of you will recognize it.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Sorry to hear about everyone's loss. However at least the truck was only a Ford. They're a-dime-a-dozen so hopefully his insurance will take care of that (if they haven't already). Very glad to hear our favourite Rebel is okay though.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

If I heard right when Barry was talking to Jim Turner, he only had liability insurance. At least the truck had more than paid for itself over the years.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Really sorry to hear about the wreck. Did I understand correctly that he also had a lot of flood damage as well??
        Nick

Comment

It was good to hear that Barry wasn't hurt , the parts and truck can be replaced ( maybe not some of the parts ) but Barry can't be replaced !
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Glad Barry is OK. we Can't afford to lose any REBELS !!!
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Texas rebel A-OK

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
              Glad Barry is OK. we Can't afford to lose any REBELS !!!
              Thanks for the kind words. This ol' Rebel is A-OK and this (Wed.) afternoon arrived back home to hot, humid Houston where the mosquitoes are swarming in clouds of rapacious greed for my blood. I miss my ol' well-used F250, but I enjoy the nu-2-me F3504x4 & hope it serves me as long as the ol' green one did. I bought it for $3K in '06 & put over 250K mi. on it, including at least 12 trips to SB and numerous other Stude meets. It was beginning to get a bit long in the tooth and due for replacement in the forseeable future. I was very blessed to be able to replace it on virtually a moment's notice with just the truck I wanted at a very good price, and therefore able to make it to SB in time for the meet

To be clear, the floods of a few weeks ago did not affect my home, shop, or any of the cars on my property, but did swamp some cars owned by a friend many of us know in Brookshire, west of Houston. The 20 c/k
              parts cars had just been listed on ebay a day prior to the flood, and I won the auction the day I left for SB. I have a hot, busy Summer ahead of me, moving & disposing of all off these units, & will have plenty of rare parts available.
              Last edited by TX Rebel; 05-11-2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
                Thanks for the kind words. This ol' Rebel is A-OK and this (Wed.) afternoon arrived back home to hot, humid Houston where the mosquitoes are swarming in clouds of rapacious greed for my blood. I miss my ol' well-used F250, but I enjoy the nu-2-me F3504x4 & hope it serves me as long as the ol' green one did. I bought it for $3K in '06 & put over 250K mi. on it. It was beginning to get a bit long in the tooth and due for replacement in the forseeable future. I was very blessed to be able to replace it on virtually a moment's notice with just the truck I wanted at a very good price, and therefore able to make it to SB in time for the meet

To be clear, the floods of a few weeks ago did not affect my home, shop, or any of the cars on my property, but did swamp some cars owned by a friend many of us know in Brookshire, west of Houston. The 20 c/k
                parts cars had just been listed on ebay a day prior to the flood, and I won the auction the day I left for SB. I have a hot, busy Summer ahead of me, moving & disposing of all off these units, & will have plenty of rare parts available.

Barry, you told me you bought a new truck but did not say you wrecked the old one. How does the ride of the F350 compare to the F250?
                Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	12109083_902734183109663_7766524218664927951_n (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1705341So Grateful you are OK Barry. This was my work truck 7 months ago after a dispute with an 18 Wheeler.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Barry, sorry about the wreck. I overheard you say you got another truck but I did not realize you were wrecked. First, glad you are o.k. Second, sorry for the physical loss of your truck and the parts for those innocent buyers.
                    Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
                    65 Cruiser
                    64 Champ
                    40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

Barry, I'm glad you are OK. I was good seeing you in York. Jeff

Comment

Well Barry, I really enjoyed meeting you. I recall you talking with someone about having trouble getting to the meet. However, I walked up too late to hear what really happened. Now that I know, I'm even more impressed with your resiliency, and upbeat manner at the meet. In spite of it all, you seemed to be enjoying yourself. If I had known what you had been through, I might have even broken over and paid your price, for those brake drums. Even though you claimed if I wouldn't pay your price...I really didn't need them.

If I had the time, I'd be willing to drive to Texas and help you reduce those cars into parts. However, I probably wouldn't make it due to brake drum failure along the way!
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]54013[/ATTACH]So Grateful you are OK Barry. This was my work truck 7 months ago after a dispute with an 18 Wheeler.
                          It is fortunate that we wrecked easily-replaced brand X trucks rather than Studes & that we were not injured (thanks in part to the substantial vehicles we were in). I told the cop that if I would have even needed the most basic of medical care at the ER, it would have cost me more than I paid for the truck 10 years ago. Ya gotta look at the bright side. I was really grateful that I was able to make it to the meet as it did not seem very encouraging on that foggy Friday afternoon. The SB Meet is always one of my high points of the year, and many were depending on me to deliver or pick up their parts. Only because I was able to enlist the help of a good friend in Branson & find just the right deal & get it quickly financed was I able to make it. Shopping for a used vehicle can often be a long process and usually some work needs to be done before embarking on a long road trip.

The F350 rides & handles nicely for a straight axle/leaf spring front suspension thanks to the long wheel base, and is pretty comparable to the old 250. The wife finds it noticeably quieter inside. Fuel economy is respectable, just a mile/gal. less than the 250, and much more powerful. I do not know if it has a chip or where to look 4/1. All of the bells & whistles work as they should. Insurance is always tough in this area, & a 1-ton, 4x4 costs substantially more for liability insurance.
                          Last edited by TX Rebel; 05-11-2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X