Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Time Travel was possible: What NEW Studebaker would you buy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Time Travel was possible: What NEW Studebaker would you buy ?

I promise, I am not a Sci-Fi fanatic.

For as long as I can remember, the idea of Time-Travel has fascinated me. But not for the thing you would expect.
    My fantasy would be to go back in time and bring back the car of my dreams. For me, it would have to be Studebaker.

I was born in 1958, so while I was there during Stude production, I do not have too many memories of seeing new Studes in the flesh.
    Stewart Jones Motors was my Grandfather's dealership in St. Petersburg FL. In later years, I would spend time there with new Mercedes-Benz automobiles on the showroom floor. I could be found setting in the driver's seat, studying the interior, pretending to own or drive the car. My Studebaker memories are of cutting up Factory Brochures, pasting them in my scrapbook (long lost to time.) I have spent so much money, buying examples of the brochures I cut-up as a child. Who knew ? ? ?

Living in Florida, my Dad & Grandfather would order "practical Studes". Meaning no R2 engines, because Air Conditioning was very important in our climate and A/C was not an option with that engine. I don't think they thought about the performance upgrade available, with an R1 including A/C, over a normal 259 or 289 V8. Though they did sell 4 barrel + dual exhaust upgrades.

I became a member of SDC in 1976. It was at that time I purchased my Pacific Blue 1960 Lark VI. Which I still own.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?72317-The-Little-Old-Lady-from-St-Petersburg-Florida-1960-Lark-VI
    In those years, Turning Wheels would reproduce magazine articles from back in the day. That exposed me to articles I never knew existed.

I remember reading the reproduced December 1963 Motor Trend article, on the 1964 Commander R2. Seeing it with those Halibrand magnesium wheels, made my heart spin.
    I could live without the racing stripe, I didn't think is was wide enough. However staring at that profile picture, with those wheels, made me realize what clean lines were done by Brooks Stevens, using 1953 body heritage.

So back to my fantasy.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Time Travel rules:

You have to ability to travel ONE time, back to any year to order / purchase your NEW car.
    You also have the ability to bring it back to the present time.

What would you buy?

Your purchase decision would change history, possibly make a rare cars not as rare. But you should want a car not because of rarity, but for the car itself.

Time Travel prices apply. You can negotiate the deal using currency and currency values at that time. (Don't ask me how you get 1963 currency, but let's just say it is possible.)

What Studebaker would I choose today?

That is a very hard decision, as I still want to own an early '63 Avanti someday. Back when the 2-tone Fawn interior (pre-wood dash) was available.

But for my practical PERFORMANCE dreams. I would go back and order a 1964 Commander, similar as was in Motor Trend.

1964 Commander 2 door sedan w/ Standard Features
    Bordeaux Red
    Black Reclining bucket seats
    4 Speed T-10
    3.73 Twin Traction rear end (special order)
    Deluxe Horn-Ring
    Halibrand Wheels (including spare)

R2 Performance Package *
    * R-2 Jet Thrust supercharged engine, twin-traction rear axle with radius rods and F&R Sway-bars.
    Power Disc Brakes, 160-mph speedometer, Tachometer, bucket seats, F&R carpeting.

That would about do it.
    I can smell that new interior now !

So how would these engine option #s change ?

R1:

R2: + 1 64 Commander 2 dr Sedan

R3 Engine:
    1 - Commander 2dr Sedan
    9 - Avanti

R4 Engine:
    1 - Daytona HT

Enjoy the fantasy

Keeping Studebakers alive

Stude-Preferred
    Ken Jones
    Atlanta, GA

Click image for larger version

Name:	1952 Stewart Jones Motors.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1750895
    Last edited by Stude-Preferred; 05-12-2016, 04:31 PM. Reason: photo attachment & typo correcton

Going back to the model-year-end of 1956 production, buy a 3-speed overdrive Golden Hawk, have the dealer install a '56 Caribbean 2x4 374" and a TwinTraction.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

1958...President 2-door Hardtop Starlight, white with gold top and fins...unless the dealer talks me into upgrading to a Packard Hawk...
      Mike Davis
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I would order an R3 Avanti with tilt steering and 4 speed bumping the production run from nine to ten.

Comment

I would purchase a 1956 Golden Hawk 3 speed w OD. Snow cap white and sunglow gold. The car would have an assembly date of 12/12/55. Oh wait, I already have this car! The only change is that I would add a hill holder.
          sigpic

Mike Barany

Comment

I'd order the car Studebaker SHOULD have built....A 1964 Avanti equipped with their best V8 engine...the full-flow 259 CI, with the factory small Carter AFB four barrel carb, quiet-tone exhaust, and Powershift transmission!

(and throw in manual windows..PLEASE!)

Comment

What Stude-Preferred said.

Comment

As long as we can order anything, it would be a 1964 Daytona convertible, R4, 4 speed with as many options as they could fit on the car, including the wire wheel covers. Red with tan top and interior.
                If I can't have that, I need to go back a few more years and get a Tucker.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

a '57 Golden Hawk 400. then a '58 Packard 2 door hardtop. then a...
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

-57 Silver Hawk colored mustard yellow & ofwhite roof with yellow tuck'n roll leather interior & Twin Traction & since I would have "enough!!!" cash I'd pay the salesman to equip it with a Hemi & chrome reverse & then...
                    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 05-08-2016, 01:50 PM.

Comment

A 56 Sky Hawk...period.

Comment

37 coupe express with all options available and painted classic black.

Comment

51 champion or commander
                          sigpic
                          John Schuetter
                          Jasper, IN

Comment

Do you think it would be too much to ask for a 1966 Studebaker Daytona Sport Sedan with an R3 and all the mods the Granatelli's could do?

Len

Comment

I'd take a....

'64 Daytona
                              R-3 Engine
                              T-10 4-Speed
                              Make it a full package car
                              Black w/Black Cloth Interior
                              AM-FM Stereo
                              Halibrand wheels
                              3.73 Axle Ratio
                              Seat Belts
                              Bucket Seats
                              Climatizer
                              Tinted Glass - All

If I could play with the engineering department in October of '65, I'd take a...

'66 Commander
                              L79 327 (350-HP)
                              T-10 4-Speed
                              Everything to make it a full package car
                              Horizon Green w/Green cloth interior
                              AM-FM Stereo
                              3.73 Axle Ratio
                              Climatizer
                              Tinted Glass - All
                              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X