Complete Overhaul Kit for 289 cid R2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Overhaul Kit for 289 cid R2

Where is the most reasonable place to purchase the parts required to perform an complete engine rebuild for my R2 Hawk? Studebaker International seems very high to me???

I don't understand why but there seems to be no one selling a engine kit or even engine parts at what I would consider a reasonable price and I've looked for months on the internet and anywhere else that I possibly could. Best I have found is northern engine on a complete fel pro gasket set at $109. Which is still high as far as I can see as in the 90's I bought complete gasket sets wholesale for under $20 for most any engine that I wanted. Local parts stores where marking them up to close to $100 at the time.

Comment

For engine and performance and parts my preferred vendor is Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. He will have everything that you need plus you can get a pair of flange axles also.

FAIRBORN STUDEBAKER OFFERS ENGINE, PERFORMANCE, and SPECIALITY PARTS

Comment

I second Phil Harris at Fairborne Studebaker.

Comment

I third Phil Harris!!

Comment

Are replacement camshafts available or we still relying on regrinds?
            sigpic

Comment

I don't understand why but there seems to be no one selling a engine kit or even engine parts at what I would consider a reasonable price and I've looked for months on the internet and anywhere else that I possibly could.
              We CASOs are often a generation or more behind on prices. What inflation? Fer sure, Stude parts prices have gone up-up-up. A complete rebuild kit for a V8 or 6cyl is now $1500-$1800 or thereabouts. The most recent Champion engine rebuild we did COST $2700. Now, it's a much better quality, more thorough build than most were doing back in the day, but not that long ago, that money would have bought the best looking, best-running Champion extant.

Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
              Are replacement camshafts available or we still relying on regrinds?
              AFAIK, the leftover stock of NOS cams has long-since been exhausted; there were never any new-production aftermarket "replacement" cams. The hot rod shops always sold regrinds. I've got stock, R1 and performance parkerized regrinds available for $135 exchange, plus shipping.

jack vines
              Last edited by PackardV8; 05-08-2016, 09:49 AM.
              PackardV8

Comment

While you're comparing prices, be sure to check with Dave Thibeault here in Mass......He's always treated me very fairly on Stude engine overhaul parts, and he'll ship anywhere.....Tel# 978-897-3158
                Last edited by SN-60; 05-08-2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronamo View Post
                  Where is the most reasonable place to purchase the parts required to perform an complete engine rebuild for my R2 Hawk? Studebaker International seems very high to me???
                  My question goes back one step to; Why do you believe that your engine needs a "complete engine rebuild"? Studebaker engines rarely NEED a complete rebuild as is common practice with SBC engines and others. I have experienced many Studebaker V8s with 200K miles that only needed a freshening of some items. This is especially true now that most of these engines will no longer see a lot of use. I have also heard of a lot of problems with Studebaker engines that were "rebuilt" by people not familiar with the engines.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thank you sir. I actually had Phil rebuilt my supercharger and never thought of him for engine parts. He is a great asset.

Comment

I have experienced many Studebaker V8s with 200K miles that only needed a freshening of some items.
                      Your experience and opinions somewhat differs from my experience and opinions. Every Stude I've ever seen with 100K miles was pretty worn and really needed everything. Some CASOs can live with low oil pressure and low performance, so it's personal preference as to what one can tolerate and what one can afford.

This is especially true now that most of these engines will no longer see a lot of use.
                      Now, we agree completely on the above. If it's a show car driven less than say 500 miles a year, a somewhat worn engine may be all that's required.

For true, if a CASO has the energy, experience, tools and free time to patch up a worn Stude engine, it's possible to get the future likely mileage out of it at minimal cost.

The problem arises if one wants to pay the shop rate to have a patch job done. From an engine shop standpoint, the sunk labor cost to pull the engine, disassemble, clean inside and out, hand hone the cylinders, knurl the pistons and valve guides, grind the valves, new rings and valve stem seals, clean again, including all fasteners, reassemble with new soft plugs and gaskets and reinstall, is the same as if a complete rebuild was done, but few want to pay $1500 in labor for the patch job.

One local owner pulled his engine, and brought the short block to us disassembled. We cleaned everything, reground the cam and crank, honed the block, knurled the pistons, installed new cam bearings, charged him $500 and gave it back to him to reassemble and install.

Whatever works for the individual Stude owner is good.
                      PackardV8

Comment

I see rock auto has a full gasket set fel pro FS 7669s-2 at $109. Summit at $123.

Comment

Hey PackardV8..In post #7...What's with the "We CASOs" ??....speak for yourself !!!!

Comment

I'd be more interested in 289 Ross forged pistons, and some high performance rods. anyone have prices for those.
                            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                              I'd be more interested in 289 Ross forged pistons, and some high performance rods. anyone have prices for those.
                              The last Ross pistons I bought were $850 and the price has gone up since then. FWIW, there are several companies who have made Stude V8 forged pistons, JE, Venolia, BRC, Diamond, CP; but all pretty much the same or higher.

The Howard rods were the least expensive, at $1200, but last I heard they are NLA. Cunningham rods are a custom order and were $1850 a set, last quote I got. Carrillo has a six-month backlog on custom orders and would be $2,000.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X