Four speed overdrive question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Four speed overdrive question

Has anyone installed a gear vendors overdrive behind a T 10 four speed in a GT Hawk? Any information or help appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

It would be far cheaper to just install a five speed. The Gear Vendors unit is around $2500...
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

For the cost of the overdrive you would be dollars ahead converting to a five speed, I recommend a Tremec 3550 used. Have the input retainer turned if you have the GM pattern bell, if not, an early Ford pattern to GM pattern adapter, a new pilot bushing and away you go. (sort of) You will need to modify the hole on the floor for the shift tower, but no more finicky shifter alignment or crud hanging up the shifter. The drive shaft will need to be cut either way to shorten it.

Comment

Back in the day, Tom Beatty made an adapter to put an R11 overdrive from the T85 behind the T10. I still have one Alan built back in '62.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...10-W-Overdrive

And yes, a 5-speed is a much better, in very way, alternative to the T10/Gear Vendors conversion.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I put a T5 out of a '93 Mustang GT in my '53 Coupe...completely transforms the car.
          -------------------
          Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Working...
          X