Looking for burgundy pin stripe upholstery for 1950/51 Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for burgundy pin stripe upholstery for 1950/51 Stude

Just thought I'd throw this out in case someone has this material by the yard or has old covers. I'll be at the South Bend meet. Pm me or cell is 513 two zero seven 2381

It has been a couple decades but I believe I got my yardage from SMS. http://www.smsautofabrics.com/produc...ials/cloth.php

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5010155.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1705096Click image for larger version

Name:	P5010156.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1705097
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Check with Rene Harger, Southeast Studebaker/
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        It has been a couple decades but I believe I got my yardage from SMS. http://www.smsautofabrics.com/produc...ials/cloth.php

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53674[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53675[/ATTACH]
        Mine does not look like that. It is just a burgundy and off white pin stripe. Each stripe is about and 1/8 to 3/16 wide.

Comment

Bump. Still looking.

Comment

Which is it? "50 or '51? Although they may look similar, I believe each year is a slightly different pattern. Also, I think Land Cruisers, and Commanders, had different patterns than Champions. I used to have a relationship with one of the premier upholstery restoration shops in the country. The true craftsmen that worked in that shop have all passed away and the inventory sold off. The shop supervisor toured me through the warehouse once. He showed me some of the vintage fabric. He also explained that some of the fabric came from common suppliers that went to all makes. He explained how some of the weaving was the same pattern for Buick as Studebaker, with variations in thread color and model year.

I've always been fascinated by folks who work in a profession, past retirement age, still exhibiting childlike excitement in their life's work. This person was one of those, and a true artist at his craft. By the way, the upholstery fabric in my Land Cruiser is the correct fabric, and weave pattern, but not the color pattern. The blue in my upholstery matches the Maui Blue paint color better than the original, which had a greenish hue. Best wishes for your search.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              Which is it? "50 or '51? Although they may look similar, I believe each year is a slightly different pattern. Also, I think Land Cruisers, and Commanders, had different patterns than Champions. I used to have a relationship with one of the premier upholstery restoration shops in the country. The true craftsmen that worked in that shop have all passed away and the inventory sold off. The shop supervisor toured me through the warehouse once. He showed me some of the vintage fabric. He also explained that some of the fabric came from common suppliers that went to all makes. He explained how some of the weaving was the same pattern for Buick as Studebaker, with variations in thread color and model year.

I've always been fascinated by folks who work in a profession, past retirement age, still exhibiting childlike excitement in their life's work. This person was one of those, and a true artist at his craft. By the way, the upholstery fabric in my Land Cruiser is the correct fabric, and weave pattern, but not the color pattern. The blue in my upholstery matches the Maui Blue paint color better than the original, which had a greenish hue. Best wishes for your search.
              John, I think the 50 and 51 are the same. I have one of each and they sure appear to be the same. Both are Commanders.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                John, I think the 50 and 51 are the same. I have one of each and they sure appear to be the same. Both are Commanders.
                I will quickly defer to you on this, Nels. I have a friend with a '52 Coupe. I thought his upholstery was exactly the same as what came in my '48 Business Coupe. However, my wife pointed out the difference in how the stripe colors were different. To me, they look so close, I still have difficulty in telling them apart. Perhaps, it is my attention deficit disorder that keeps me from keeping them in focus.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  I will quickly defer to you on this, Nels. I have a friend with a '52 Coupe. I thought his upholstery was exactly the same as what came in my '48 Business Coupe. However, my wife pointed out the difference in how the stripe colors were different. To me, they look so close, I still have difficulty in telling them apart. Perhaps, it is my attention deficit disorder that keeps me from keeping them in focus.
                  John, I would be willing to take either even if they are different. I could go with leather which would be pretty neat but also expensive.

Comment

Working...
                  X