Studebaker Building 113 groundbreaking and tours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Building 113 groundbreaking and tours

On Thursday May 12th at Building 113 located at 635 Lafayette Blvd. you can celebrate the groundbreaking and development of the old Studebaker Building and see the results of the factory renovation and restoration project. There will be public tours of the Studebaker Factory and Administration Building from 10-12 followed by a brief Regional Cities presentation and groundbreaking with tours to resume from 1:15-2:30. Food trucks will also be available and is being presented by the Renaissance District and Regional Cities Initiative. I went to a presentation by the owner Kevin Smith and was very impressed as to how he is keeping the old Studebaker Factory feel but incorporating the latest technology.

How unfortunate this couldn't been scheduled for Fri or Sat during the Sawp Meet.
    sigpic

Comment

The idea was brought up but it was to late to coincide with State and Local official schedules. We also were offered an opportunity to do tours during the May meet which probably still stands but it is a lot of work and I would like to just enjoy a meet for a change. Kevin Smith did say he would take care of us next year at the International and am looking forward to doing it but we really don't get any help from the SDC on these projects and doing tours of a million square foot of buildings is pretty exhausting when just done by a few. Next year will also be a shorter International and I don't know if the SDC will be able to schedule it in or if we'll have to do it unofficially before the meet. Please share any constructive ideas. Either way looking forward to seeing everyone at the May meet.

Comment

I can see having a ceremony marking the start of the rebuilding project, but I do not see how you can have a "groundbreaking" for an existing building. However, I am glad that progress is being made.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
        X