Thinking I should blame you guys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking I should blame you guys.

I have always had a Studebaker bug, starting with my Fathers 49 C cab, but was able to suppress it in recent years. Thought I had my head on straight, and concentrated on job, kids, sending them to college, etc. I recently bought a 41 Commander, which made me search out this site and others. But I kept coming back here and reading about the Hawks, Champions, and Larks. I own a Lark, two actually. When I parked them, they were 75 dollar used cars and couldn't interest anyone in giving me money for one or the other. Now these two been sitting out, for well, a long time. Moved them from time to time, and found both engines had seized. Lost interest for a few more years. Now I keep walking out back of an evening, assessing what it would take to make a driver, work, a whole lot of work. The 60 is a V8 Auto, TT, but low miles, the tranny quit back when which is why it got parked. The other has a 3 speed, V8, and a lot of miles but ran hard, got diesel fuel mix down the carburetors. Tires are flat, some glass is gone, now looking to see just how bad the rust is, figuring it may be a body off to make one solid again. I wouldn't even be thinking about this if not for this column. I got projects, the 41, and several Brand X vehicles, and my fathers fore mentioned 49 C cab, which needs almost everything, and now the thought of getting my Larks going is driving me crazy. So am blaming the people here by putting these darn nice photos of their cars, and pickups, their journeys, and hopes for getting just a little more back original. My wife is going to scream when I drag one of the Larks into the shop when the 41 is drivable. Looks like I should really get a car hoist, that will help assess the rust, and any other problem 40 years have brought on, right? I thought I was happy before, or just had a blindspot maybe? Tools I have, experience I have, now am going to need a wire welder for sure, bigger and deeper pockets for new sheet metal and bits. See what you guys have done!

No, don't blame us just because we all share the mental disorder....I'm convinced that is what it is! (The money that I've put onto my GT Hawk proves it to me.)
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

I really feel sorry for you. That virus (bug) infected most of us a long time ago, welcome to the ambulatory care ward!

Comment

I was bit by the bug in 1959. That is when I got my first car. A 1952 Commander 4 door. Have had a Studebaker since.

Comment

i caught the "bug" when a Marine that went to our church in 1971 gave me a drive in his '63 gold Avanti. with "life" interfering, it took me until 2009 to buy my first Studebaker - a '63 Avanti.

the Studebaker disease (and i have a few real ones), gives me so much pleasure!

go for it and have fun!!!
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I can't tell you to make a good business case for repairing these Larks if you have a sentimental attachment to them, you are infected with the same disease that I and others here are!

Realistically speaking though, it sounds like the "R" Series Truck and maybe the '41 Commander should be your priorities, depending on their condition of course but they are yours, not mine.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No matter what anyone may say, there ARE quite a number of logical reasons for owning and maintaining a Studebaker. I keep telling myself; not the least of which is the incredible number of wonderful friends I have made who share the madness.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Plus they are real chick magnets !
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Lou It is a mental disorder. My wife will attest to that. problem is there are no treatment centers, no twelve step programs,no self help meetings, your on your own. Nebraska I would look at building your dads old truck first. Maybe hot rod it.

Comment

I have found that there is a form of this disease that is worse than the normal form and I sense that, like me, you have it. The disease is worsened when it involves a family connection to the Studebaker(s) involved. My '65 Cruiser was purchased new by my uncle.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words, the mental part I will definitely go along with. The 49 has never seen a garage, saw 20 years of hard farm use, now has sat out ignored since 70 or so. My father bought it from a friend when it was only six months old. A sb chevy is a possibility, but mechanically everything is there. Got the cylinders oiled and hoping. What was amazing, I pulled the wheels to remove the wasted 50 year old tires, and not a single lug nut was rusted. The 41 is close to being driven, finish the brakes and waiting for the upholstery shop. Absolutely complete rust free Colorado car, with no mouse damage, just sun. The low mileage Lark, when I get a hoist, would probably take me a year or more. Don't even want to think about the dollars. But darn it is bugging me to see what time and the weather has done. Sure glad I got rid of the other 90+ cars I once had, or I'd really be a basket case by now.

Comment

Mental order indeed, maybe we should change our meet motto to:

"We're all here, because we're not all there."
                        Bill Foy
                        1000 Islands, Ontario
                        1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Billy View Post
                          Mental order indeed, maybe we should change our meet motto to:

"We're all here, because we're not all there."
                          Great tag line-- for the SDC

Comment

Enablers we all are! But it is everywhere. I bought a 49Ford F3 pickup out of the last barn in Chicago. Worked on it 20 years, enabled by the good people on the FTE forum, finally finished it, drove it twice and sold it. Now I have a 38 State Commander out of a PA barn. Driving it every day. It's fun even if my wife says it's a sickness. Have fun

Comment

It is a disease but it could be much worse. Guys spend a fortune to go fishing of golfing. After all that money all they have to show for it is a few dead fish or a bag of clubs and balls. You will have a running driving piece of American Automotive history. I say lean into this ailment.
                              james r pepper

Comment

Working...
                              X