Timing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Timing question

On a 289 engine without super charge. The timing is suppose to be set at 4deg. before top dead center. I cannot see where there is any marks to tell me the diff. degrees. What do I do now or am I not seeing the marks.?

There is usually a mark that says "ign." That's the one to use.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

About a 1/4 Inch to the Left (Driver's Side) of the UDC Mark is the 4 Degree mark called IGN, the Line is right next to the "I", I believe.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Comment

Thank you I will look.

Comment

most of us with 289's (and other V8's) advance the timing as much as 1/2 inch further to get the best punch from today's gas....Much like the mixture settings for carb idle speeds.....its a general setting...

Comment

What jackb said...

The performance and mileage will be noticeably better with increased ignition over the "book" values. There's many ways of doing this, experimentation is the key to success.
              8 to 10 degrees on the damper is a good place to be.
              I took my damper wheel off and marked every (2) degrees, not that difficult.

Mike

Mike

Comment

Or,you can use a vacuum gauge and turn the distributor until you are drawing the maximum inches and you will feel or hear the "sweet spot" when the engine hits it. The book settings don't always give the engine what it wants.

Comment

I fail to understand the reasoning of some people posting here that feel they know more than the engineers that designed the Studebaker engines. Advancing the spark a few degrees is probably not going to hurt anything, but arbitrarily twisting the distributor without using a timing light is asking for detonation at high engine speed when it can't be heard. Again, I recommend that anyone that uses a vacuum gauge for setting the timing or tuning by ear, please read Jim Pepper's excellent article on Studebaker ignition timing in the September 2014 issue of Turning Wheels. Use a timing light for setting the ignition timing, that is why they were invented. Bud

Comment

Working...
                  X