Mystery Writing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Writing!

Just returned from the great State of Maine an hour or so ago ago.....Was helping a friend this weekend assemble the heads, manifolds, clutch, transmission, etc. onto the 259 engine for his Speedster.

(This should be a nice running engine ...bored .030 over, Thibeault pistons, .010 under on the mains and rods)

Anyway, it appeared that someone at Studebaker, when assembling the clutch housing to the engine block, scrawled "C/K" on the upper part of the housing (facing vehicle trans tunnel)

I don't think there would be any difference between a Stude coupe, hardtop, or sedan engine-transmission assy, and was kind of wondering what was up?

(I took a few photos of this, which I'll post as soon as I can)

C/K as apposed to one for a sedan or truck?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
      C/K as apposed to one for a sedan or truck?
      You may be right!...Perhaps this clutch housing was marked "C/K" to differentiate it from a V8 truck type.

Comment

I think you might need to think a little out of the box, sort of. It was not the Bellhousing that mattered.

How about this possibility; these were Engine, Bellhousing, Trans. Combos just prior to installation in the Chassis, therefore the C/K vs Sedan/Wagon thing was a lot bigger deal.

Because the ENGINE had to be properly setup with a Throttle Bellcrank, Oil Gauge Flex Hose, Left Fender angled Thermostat Housing, C/K Fan, Batt. Ground Cable length, etc, etc. different from the Sedan/Wagon THAT is most likely the reason for the marking.

I think the Truck Engines would be sent to the Truck Plant for all the detail work like; Engine Number, Carb. spacer, Air cleaner, Water Manifold, Truck Clutch Housing etc, etc.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-24-2016, 03:27 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          I think you might need to think a little out of the box, sort of. It was not the Bellhousing that mattered.

How about this possibility; these were Engine, Bellhousing, Trans. Combos just prior to installation in the Chassis, therefore the C/K vs Sedan/Wagon thing was a lot bigger deal.

Because the ENGINE had to be properly setup with a Throttle Bellcrank, Oil Gauge Flex Hose, Left Fender angled Thermostat Housing, C/K Fan, Batt. Ground Cable length, etc, etc. different from the Sedan/Wagon THAT is most likely the reason for the marking.

I think the Truck Engines would be sent to the Truck Plant for all the detail work like; Engine Number, Carb. spacer, Air cleaner, Water Manifold, Truck Clutch Housing etc, etc.

That certainly makes sense...I'll post the pics ASAP.

Comment

I WONDERED about that! Took the engine/transmission out of my Sky Hawk yesterday, and noticed a hand painted "HK" on the bell housing. Now I know what it signified...

Comment

Ed, after reading this thread so far - might likely be that a whole lot of marking was going on back in the Day? and maybe not just with c/k either,I never noticed any markings and wonder if most Others haven't either.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                I WONDERED about that! Took the engine/transmission out of my Sky Hawk yesterday, and noticed a hand painted "HK" on the bell housing. Now I know what it signified...
                So it was a REALLY sloppy and quick "K" that looked like a H.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So it was a REALLY sloppy and quick "K" that looked like a H.
                  I think that it would have had to be a sloppy C that ended up looking like H (in order to be a CK).
                  The HK may have been short for Hawk in 1956 (also C/K bodies).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Oops, gotta be careful of those K's 2 of them would be wrong. but three of them might not be good!
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm reposting Rich's rely here again because, once again, I'm impressed with his 'sleuthing' on this question!

Comment

Working...
                      X