A new Substitute Rim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Substitute Rim?

The rumor is true that the Ford Rim (NWRA 40273)used by so many of us on our Studebakers is no longer available. It is also true that the Mopar rims that fit 69-84 Chrysler products w/o front wheel drive are also NLA, in fact they went NLA before the Ford Rims. This according to my local wheel and rim shop.

But they also say there is one other option that is still available and that is NWRA 40709; the application book lists it as a sub for NWRA 40273. Supposedly the only difference between this and the 40273 is that it is a 6 1/2 inch wide rim. That should not be a problem, in fact with radials it might even be better. The shop said 40709 has the same offset as the 40273. I suppose the question is with the different profile for the tire, will it hit the fenders or the frame when turning, especially on an Avanti? I do not know.

Has anyone on this Forum tried using this rim on Studes, and if so what was the result? Did it clear the Calipers and cross-over brake tubing on the disk brake models?

BTW, the 40709 is used on the Ford Crown Victoria 1990-1997 and its Mercury counterpart.

Stan Gundry, Author and Publisher of WHAT THE SHOP MANUAL WON'T TELL YOU: STUDEBAKER AVANTI RESTORATION AND MAINTENANCE
    Stan Gundry
    www.AvantiPublishing.com

quote:Originally posted by Stan.Gundry

The rumor is true that the Ford Rim (NWRA 40273)used by so many of us on our Studebakers is no longer available. It is also true that the Mopar rims that fit 69-84 Chrysler products w/o front wheel drive are also NLA, in fact they went NLA before the Ford Rims. This according to my local wheel and rim shop.
    But they also say there is one other option that is still available and that is NWRA 40709; the application book lists it as a sub for NWRA 40273. Supposedly the only difference between this and the 40273 is that it is a 6 1/2 inch wide rim. That should not be a problem, in fact with radials it might even be better. The shop said 40709 has the same offset as the 40273. I suppose the question is with the different profile for the tire, will it hit the fenders or the frame when turning, especially on an Avanti? I do not know.
    Has anyone on this Forum tried using this rim on Studes, and if so what was the result? Did it clear the Calipers and cross-over brake tubing on the disk brake models?
    BTW, the 40709 is used on the Ford Crown Victoria 1990-1997 and its Mercury counterpart.
    I can't speak for the Ford 6 1/2-inch rim, but I had MoPar 6 1/2-rims on my '64 Avanti with no clearance problems.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Stan, thanks for the info. I'd use them on my 63 Lark Daytona (NWRA 40709) and would you know if the full wheel covers would still fit?

Western Washington, USA

Comment

I guess your talking about NOS wheels as there has to be thousands of used ones in salvage yards.Want the best rim for the least amount of work in a salvage yard? Get in the trunk and dig out the spare.
        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Stan Gundry, Author and Publisher of WHAT THE SHOP MANUAL WON'T TELL YOU: STUDEBAKER AVANTI RESTORATION AND MAINTENANCE
          [/quote]

Stan,

I just purchased 6.5" Ford wheels for my '62 Cruiser. I'm not sure if they are the 40709s. I mounted one on the front (without a tire on it) and spun it several times with the steering in various positions. The wheel itself did not rub, but it looks like there might be rubbing once a tire is mounted on the rim, especially on a tight turn. My guess is that it will work fine as long as I don't turn! Also, the car was on jack stands when I did this, so I don't know how it would be with the weight of the car on it. FWIW, my Cruiser has drum brakes. These wheels have a backspace that is about 1/8" to 3/16" wider than the 40273. I did not try the rear of the car.

I'm not sure I want to keep these wheels at this point.

Has anyone else used 6.5" Ford wheels on a Stude?

Tom
          1960 Lark VIII
          1962 Lark Cruiser
          Tom
          1960 Lark VIII
          1962 Lark Cruiser
          1964 Cruiser

Comment

I have bought Ford 6.5" wheels for my '60 Hawk. I will have 215/75-15 radial tires mounted on these. I have purcahsed all this based on several SDC members telling me they have the same setup on their Studes. I have also been told that you have to use the Ford lug nuts with Ford wheels because the holes are a little bigger. I will know for sure this summer after I put all this together.

Jim Barker
            Council Bluffs, Ia
            '60 Hawk'

Jim Barker
            '70' Avanti II

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JJB

I have bought Ford 6.5" wheels for my '60 Hawk. I will have 215/75-15 radial tires mounted on these. I have purcahsed all this based on several SDC members telling me they have the same setup on their Studes. I have also been told that you have to use the Ford lug nuts with Ford wheels because the holes are a little bigger. I will know for sure this summer after I put all this together.
              Have you test fit this wheel and tire combination...especially in the rear? Unless the wheels have 3 1/2" or more backspacing, I think they might contact the fender at stock or lower ride height.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
              X