1940 clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 clutch

Hello Folks, General question. Put in clutch,. lots of noise, only when clutch i engaged. No slippage or chatter when engaging clutch. Alignment and movement of for linkage is ok, Any Suggestions?

Did you pay attention to which way the clutch was oriented? One side goes toward the flywheel, and the other towards the transmission. With the noise occurring, as you describe, I would also check the transmission fluid level, U joints, center carrier bearing, and even the motor mounts.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

it is either installed wrong or your throw-out brg is bad

Comment

thanks folks, I Guess I lead you wrong in my original narrative. The noise only occurs when the clutch is Disengaged (Pedal In). I think you are right on with a bad throw out bearing as I have not yet replaced the clutch (Which if the bearing is bad I will also replace the clutch and pressure plate) and there was no noise until I started to drive it regularly. I believe for research the OD cars have a 8.5 inch clutch 10 spline but does any one know the s[line size not sure it is 1 inch of 1.125?

Comment

If this is any comfort to you, I believe you can replace the throwout bearing without having to do all that you are contemplating. You can drop the transmission, and replace the throwout bearing through the transmission hole in the bellhousing. The release bearing (correct term) is held on the shaft arms by a spring retainer clip. You can unclip it and replace it through that hole. Once it is replaced, slide the transmission shaft back through the bearing, and if it stops at the splines, wiggle it a bit and it should line up and slide home. Install your bolts, drive shaft, linkage,etc. and try it out. If it turns out everything is OK...drive and enjoy. If, later, you need to go back and service the clutch...you already have experience getting to it!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

An added note to my last post. On some of the six cylinder cars, I think the transmission pilot bearing is in the clutch. Not the crank shaft like the V8's. Regardless, I don't think you will have much trouble replacing the release bearing. It is just a matter of getting the transmission dropped and back in. I have done it by myself. Much younger then.

I don't have a lift. Lying on your back with a transmission on your chest can get a bit awkward. Lifting it into the hole, lining it up, sliding it in, and keeping your fingers from getting smashed between the bellhousing and transmission flange should be considered a great accomplishment.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Beg, borrow or steal a transmission jack.
              Originally posted by jclary View Post
              An added note to my last post. On some of the six cylinder cars, I think the transmission pilot bearing is in the clutch. Not the crank shaft like the V8's. Regardless, I don't think you will have much trouble replacing the release bearing. It is just a matter of getting the transmission dropped and back in. I have done it by myself. Much younger then.

I don't have a lift. Lying on your back with a transmission on your chest can get a bit awkward. Lifting it into the hole, lining it up, sliding it in, and keeping your fingers from getting smashed between the bellhousing and transmission flange should be considered a great accomplishment.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

with the clutch disengaged (pedal "in), the release bearing is not spinning...... might be pilot brg. issue....

Comment

Working...
                X