• Outcry Over Demolition of Old Stude Dealership in Pheonix

Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Lovely. They had a link in the article that had this picture. So hopefully they didn't mess with the front of it.

Comment

The developer does not have the same appreciation for history as the residents and mayor. It's all about the money. I can't imagine a 19 story building there in its place. Yuk!
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

It would seem that the developer overstepped his agreement but if he saves the front signage and awning, the rest looks like about anything else built in the late 40's to mid 60's. Hardly meeting this description
        “a joyful dialogue with the streetscape, which is pleasant to enjoy both on foot or by car.”
        Hopefully the developer will save the signage and awning for the new building. I'm going to guess that when all is said and done, Phoenix isn't going to stop a 19 story development and the developer knows that.

The developer probably just got tired with the horse bleep he was going through and mis-remembered.

That happened here when a local developer was developing an old section of the city industrial area known as the IB Industrial Brownhoist property. A new development, condo, storefront, corporate area built on the Saginaw river that brings more folks downtown, creates living and commercial spaces on the river and created a fair amount of new jobs. Removed a contaminated site that was industrial since well before the 20th century but was slowing down due to the presence of a small wall in collapse and about 1/2 a guard house that no one could agree on what to do with. After a few months, interestingly, a large CAT moving dirt "accidentally" backed into the crap resulting in a pile of debris that had to be removed. Solved a lot of issues and the development progressed.

This is what is now here

http://uptownbaycity.com/about/

as opposed to

http://bay-journal.com/bay/1he/bus/ib/photoessay-copus.pdf

"Nuff said, Bob

Interesting that the links won't click, guess they need to be pasted in the browser.

Last edited by sweetolbob; 04-22-2016, 09:12 AM.

Comment

In April 1959, I was seven and my Dad and I went there and bought a 1959 Tahiti Coral 4 door Lark. It was near the showroom and Dad was "dickering" on the trade of a 1953 Cadillac that my Uncle John talked Dad into buying the year before. It would vapor lock more than it drove so Dad was fed up and got a new Lark. I saw someone that was looking at the car while Dad was talking and they put their hands on it. I yelled "Don't touch our car!" Cracked up the showroom. As I remember that day, cars were flying out the showroom that day.

Thanks for the memories. Yesterday, April 21, it was 100 years ago Dad was born. We had the Lark for 9 years and Dad sold it for $100.00 right about the time I was getting my drivers license. If we had kept the car, probably would have not found the Speedster for $150.

Still have a soft spot for a Tahiti Coral Lark 4 door.

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ
          Home of Lazarus and Meshach

Comment

Mayor Greg Stanton released the following statement in response to developers starting demolition earlier today of the Stewart Motor Company Building on Central Avenue and McKinley Street:

“I am angry that in the middle of negotiating a plan to save the iconic Stewart Motor Company building, the developer began demolition. After my office participated in discussions between the developer and neighborhood leaders, I was confident that a resolution would be found. However, sadly, it appears that the developer was acting in bad faith.”

Comment

It is time to watch that entertaining movie "Batteries Not Included" again. A classic of sorts with Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronyn. Unfortunately this time I think the little visitors will not be coming.
              Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
              See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                Mayor Greg Stanton released the following statement in response to developers starting demolition earlier today of the Stewart Motor Company Building on Central Avenue and McKinley Street:

“I am angry that in the middle of negotiating a plan to save the iconic Stewart Motor Company building, the developer began demolition. After my office participated in discussions between the developer and neighborhood leaders, I was confident that a resolution would be found. However, sadly, it appears that the developer was acting in bad faith.”
                He should have designated it a Historical Site before the sale went through: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-building-sold

Craig

Comment

Here's a post to a Youtube video of old 16mm movies of the construction of the building. Also has great footage of the grand opening and many views of a 1948 convertible on the turntable, Christmas displays and the annual rodeo parade. Wish I had that neon dealership sign!!

#unless #savestewartmotor #baddickfelkerbaddog #emperorsnewclothes

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    He should have designated it a Historical Site before the sale went through. Craig
                    Let see here, In one hand, I have an old building that is difficult to rent/sell, doesn't generate tax dollars of any note versus a new structure of 19 stories that will generate traffic and sales in the area and probably generate a fair bit of sales tax and property tax dollars in the other.

I'm a bit skeptical about how deep the mayors anger goes. A fly on the wall of his office might just have a differing view.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for saving what can be saved, as is happening here in my area or in SB with the manufacturing facility, but I'm also a realist in that most old buildings don't generate much income for the city and that's a very important issue in today's world.

This is part of what we gained at the cost of an old manufacturing complex. Commercial buildings, condos on the river, restaurants and shopping.

Last edited by sweetolbob; 04-23-2016, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                      In April 1959, I was seven and my Dad and I went there and bought a 1959 Tahiti Coral 4 door Lark. It was near the showroom and Dad was "dickering" on the trade of a 1953 Cadillac that my Uncle John talked Dad into buying the year before. It would vapor lock more than it drove so Dad was fed up and got a new Lark. I saw someone that was looking at the car while Dad was talking and they put their hands on it. I yelled "Don't touch our car!" Cracked up the showroom. As I remember that day, cars were flying out the showroom that day.

Thanks for the memories. Yesterday, April 21, it was 100 years ago Dad was born. We had the Lark for 9 years and Dad sold it for $100.00 right about the time I was getting my drivers license. If we had kept the car, probably would have not found the Speedster for $150.

Still have a soft spot for a Tahiti Coral Lark 4 door.

Bob Miles
                      Tucson AZ
                      You would love this Tahiti Coral car. The current owner was walking down an alley and saw this car in a garage. He didn't even know it was a Studebaker, but he had to have it and bought it from the original owner. Except for tires this car is absolutely original (paint, interior, drive train, everything).
                      Attached Files
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Wow what a nice car. I did have one similar to that car with a six and overdrive with original paint and seats but the carpet was gone. Good floors but the front fenders were starting to show the usual Studebaker weakness.

I sold it to a chapter member in Phoenix during a weak moment after a Zone meet in Phoenix years ago and have lost contact. I really should not ask but is the Lark for sale?

Bob Miles
                        Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                          Wow what a nice car. I did have one similar to that car with a six and overdrive with original paint and seats but the carpet was gone. Good floors but the front fenders were starting to show the usual Studebaker weakness.

I sold it to a chapter member in Phoenix during a weak moment after a Zone meet in Phoenix years ago and have lost contact. I really should not ask but is the Lark for sale?

Bob Miles
                          Tucson AZ
                          I don't think it is, but the owner had a serious aneurism(?) about two years ago and I'm not sure what his status is. His '59 is a Regal V-8 automatic.
                          He also has a '64 R-2 Super Lark Daytona hardtop that took a first at Dover.
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                            The developer does not have the same appreciation for history as the residents and mayor. It's all about the money. I can't imagine a 19 story building there in its place. Yuk!
                            Having lived in the Phx area for about 20 years; I can understand your frustration at how the past is typically destroyed in that part of the USA.
                            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

We attended the international meet in Glendale Az, several years ago. It had been years, maybe thirty but not sure, but I was astounded by what had happened to Phoenix! I really recognized nothing, all that was old had been swept away and replaced by new construction! Then the real estate crash, makes me wonder if this was all necessary!

Comment

Working...
                              X