Flight o matic for 57

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight o matic for 57

Hey guys, I ordered a bunch of stuff from phil at fair born but its been cold and rainy so I haven't gotten around to working on it but I had some questions that I will eventually need answered.

The second question will be my next post regarding rust in the trunk.

I have a 57 hawk 289 with a flight o matic. My dad purchased it about 30 years ago from his uncle but sat in a garage ever since. A few years ago I got it out and in running condition.

The transmission has always started in 1st. From what I read they should start in second. Is it possible that my dad did some tranny work 30 years ago that would change this. Do the 57's always start in first? the shift is very firm clunk so im wondering if I can put it back or do I just have to deal with it.

Thanks

-Kenny

Kenny; early '57 Flight-O-Matic valve bodies can have the spring from one of the shift valves re-located from one end to the other to make it start in Low, so the reverse would be true, if you wanted to put it back to start in second. If you were to contact the SDC Turning Wheels Co-operator Column Advisor for Automatic Transmissions, an old friend of mine: John Metzker, he would tell you how to do this.

Most people do prefer it the way yours is now however, maybe with a throttle pressure adjustment and possibly a band adjustment you could live with it. All Stude. Automatics have a relatively firm shift, and personally I like it that way, it beats a slip-n-slide shift!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hey studerich, Does that same trick work on later transmissions, like the one in a 62 Hawk GT? You wouldn't happen to have a diagram showing the valve in question, would you? Thanks.

Comment

See this thread on early valve bodies. Some just require the valve body swap, some need more work, but your 62 valve body will not give you first gear start.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,439.30
        63 Lark 2 door
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Sorry, no it does not! That's why I said "early" '57, because it does not even work on a late '57, they changed the valve body! As JDP said, both he and I have suggestions on the thread: "flightomatic upgrade".

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Hey studerich, Does that same trick work on later transmissions, like the one in a 62 Hawk GT?
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a 61 Hawk. It starts in second gear, which seems fine with me.First works through manual positioning of the column lever. Besides a little more take off power what is the advantage? What is the disadvantge such as more "wear n tear" on the tranny?
            This is more of a curiousity question.

Comment

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/OldWorld2005002.jpg[/img=left]
              Ross.
              Riverside, Ca.
              1957 Provincial X2
              1958 Transtar
              sigpic
              Ross.
              Riverside, Ca.
              1957 Provincial X2
              1958 Transtar

Comment

IMHO the car really feels livelier with the first gear start, I'd leave it as is unless there's some issue with it. If it starts in second, you really have to boot it to get anything resembling reasonable acceleration from a dead stop, although once rolling of course it feels just like a normal car.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

There is NO advantage to a first gear start except EXCELLERATION ! And the fun factor as N8 referenced.

The second gear start will actually save fuel, wear and tear on driveline, rear axle and tires! ...BUT, not as much fun!
                  The trans. does not seem to mind the extra "load" of the second gear start because it was built for it, and they hold up very well! [^]

They are quite well matched for 300 or less horsepower and sometimes a bit more!

quote:Originally posted by Harvey

I have a 61 Hawk. It starts in second gear, which seems fine with me.First works through manual positioning of the column lever. Besides a little more take off power what is the advantage? What is the disadvantge such as more "wear n tear" on the tranny?
                  This is more of a curiousity question.
                  StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So what I am hearing is, don't mess with it, and if I want some extra fun just manally
                    start in first and up shift it to second @ about 9000 rpm. Sounds like fun[]
                    Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I wouldn't rev past 8000 myself![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

wow 8000 on a stude engin, I wouldnt dare go past 5000 with my 289. Can it handle more?

So the reason I am asking is cause yes the 1-2 shift is a bang. So my solution will actualy be to adjust the throttle presser right?

Comment

I don't think it's so much can the engine handle it, the question is will it physically rev that high. If you have a stock engine, the valves will float somewhere before 6K; even if you have strong springs you'll probably need some head work to get much above 6500 and power will be falling off due to lack of flow at that point.

I don't know at what point you need to think about things like stronger rods, etc. - they seem to be adequate for even an R1/R2 as it comes from the factory.

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

NO!

Biggs and Harvey were just joking! LOL

The redline is 5500-6000 even on R2 and R3.

Looks like N8N fell for it! LOL

quote:Originally posted by Kenny

wow 8000 on a stude engin, I wouldnt dare go past 5000 with my 289. Can it handle more?
                            StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry for the wasted time about the 9000 rpm. Only fooling around, now if want to talk about a Honda engine we wouldn't be kidding.

Comment

Working...
                              X