2000 miles later, I have a 1961 Champ on my yard! 6E-12 #4780

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 miles later, I have a 1961 Champ on my yard! 6E-12 #4780

Last Thursday morning (4-14-2016) I headed out for Colorado to retrieve a 1961 Champ from Merv Mundorf, with my rusty and sometimes trusty F-150 and trailer. I say my F-150 is only sometimes trusty because the last time I headed West to purchase a Champ, I blew out a spark plug halfway from my destination (I turned around and headed back home on seven cylinders). Anyway, I was much more successful this time.
    After arriving in Colorado with plans to attend a local Studebaker club chapter get-together at an airplane museum in Pueblo, I was warned of a severe snow storm coming in over the mountains. I didn't want to stick around and get caught in the snow, so Merv helped me load up the Champ and I was soon headed North to South Dakota to outrun the storm. Drove in light rain nearly all the way until I arrived back in Minnesota, when suddenly the sun shined in the sky and the temperature increased 25 degrees. It may have been the warmest Saturday in Minnesota so far this year.
    Sunday morning I tinkered with the Champ, got it running and backed it off the trailer. Later I drove it to my sister's house and back (without functional brakes) but had to drive with my head out of the side window being that the roof is caved in so far.
    I ripped the carpet out Monday and much to my surprise, the floor appears to have no rust-through and is covered with factory red paint!
    As for the caved in roof (a previous owner rolled it over off a steep mountain driveway in New Mexico), I have a rusty cab with a good roof to splice onto it. Easier said then done, I'm sure.

Here I am loaded up at Merv's place near Colorado Springs. Look through the clouds, directly above the house at the center of the photo is Pike's Peak.

I have a 1962 Champ to retrieve also, but will meet Merv halfway to get it.

Here I am back home:

I'll need to find a tailgate for it. I might replace the passenger-side rear fender as I don't like the looks of the spare mounted there:

First time I had the convertible out this year:

At first I had it running on a gravity fed supply of gasoline, but then it finally started pumping gas from it's own tank out of a ruptured rubber hose atop the engine. New hose and filter, and all is good:

Not having a windshield and driver's side window proved harmful to the interior, but at least the floor is in good condition:
    Last edited by Milaca; 04-19-2016, 06:31 PM.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Wow - too bad it had to take a tumble - looks like it was in pretty decent shape before.

Does it appear to have the original door panels and seat covers? Would love to see some close up photos if they are original. Starlight Studebaker has NOS seat covers for 6E Champs - might even have some in red.

Looks like fun and keep us posted. Oh, and there is this: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...forum-registry

Comment

It's not too different from this advertisement, although the ad displays a deluxe trimmed Champ whereas mine has the standard trim.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
        Wow - too bad it had to take a tumble - looks like it was in pretty decent shape before.

Does it appear to have the original door panels and seat covers? Would love to see some close up photos if they are original. Starlight Studebaker has NOS seat covers for 6E Champs - might even have some in red.

Looks like fun and keep us posted. Oh, and there is this: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...forum-registry
        I don't know if they are stock Champ door panels or if they are Lark panels, but I can certainly add photos of them and the seat.
        sigpic

Comment

Looks like you have yourself a nice project there. Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations on the truck and a successful trip to retrieve it. Keep the side mount. It is a great period piece, and helps give the truck a no-nonsense, tough, "Built For Work" stance. I don't know how far you are looking to go in making it road worthy again, but whether show or driver...I wish you the best.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Post a picture of the door panel & I can tell you if its original or not. My 61 Champ had a red interior but when I moved the roll of door panel trim disappeared.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Looks like a nice truck, all things considered. Love the bed!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Brent , I have been to Merv's place a couple of times, not sure if you knew it or not but Star lite is just down the road from his place all on your way north, Ian and I will be stopping there on our way to S/B to pick up some orders for hm, myself and Geo. in New Zealand. I am filling a container now for New Zealand, 61 hardtop, 64 champ and maybe a 62 GT 4 speed car. hope to see you in S/B. Last week Markus Hagen and Dwayne Jacobson were out and picked up Markus's 55 commander hardtop and extra parts, so we filled the truck and the front section of Dwayne's 24' in closed trailer with sheet metal......Bob
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Brent , I have been to Merv's place a couple of times, not sure if you knew it or not but Star lite is just down the road from his place all on your way north, Ian and I will be stopping there on our way to S/B to pick up some orders for him, myself and Geo. in New Zealand. I am filling a container now for New Zealand, 61 hardtop, 64 champ and maybe a 62 GT 4 speed car. hope to see you in S/B. Last week Markus Hagen and Dwayne Jacobson were out and picked up Markus's 55 commander hardtop and extra parts, so we filled the truck and the front section of Dwayne's 24' in closed trailer with sheet metal......Bob
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

What a fabulous adventure. I look forward to the embellishments the story will grow with over time and distance. I hope this is an inspiration to all those who fritter away opportunities just because time and distance are supposedly a barrier. I'm glad to see how you bull-rushed your way through those blockades and brought home, not only a very cool truck, but also a fantastic story to go with it. BRAVO ! ! !
                      sals54

Comment

Looks like a fun project,Brent.
                        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                          Brent , I have been to Merv's place a couple of times, not sure if you knew it or not but Star lite is just down the road from his place all on your way north, Ian and I will be stopping there on our way to S/B to pick up some orders for hm, myself and Geo. in New Zealand. I am filling a container now for New Zealand, 61 hardtop, 64 champ and maybe a 62 GT 4 speed car. hope to see you in S/B. Last week Markus Hagen and Dwayne Jacobson were out and picked up Markus's 55 commander hardtop and extra parts, so we filled the truck and the front section of Dwayne's 24' in closed trailer with sheet metal......Bob
                          Hi Bob, I wont be going to South Bend this spring but I intend to be there next spring. I'm envious of the 64 Champ going to New Zealand....is it a shortbed V8? Anyway, have fun! By the way, what town is Starlight Studebaker in? I know I wasn't too far from it, but maybe I drove right by it? Take care, Brent
                          sigpic

Comment

Did you drive right by Skinnys Garage in SD without stopping????? No cookies for you.............
                            Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
                              Did you drive right by Skinnys Garage in SD without stopping????? No cookies for you.............
                              When driving through South Dakota, I looked at the map for Watertown but decided that you were too far out of the way as I was trying to get back home before dark (arrived home at 8:45). I drove interstate 90 to highway 23 in MN. One of these days I will drop in and surprise you!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X