Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock Stude PS vs. going with an Astro gear on a 1959-66 Lark type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Stock Stude PS vs. going with an Astro gear on a 1959-66 Lark type?

I haven't been here for a while but; hopefully I'll be able to get another Stude; this time my first choice would be a 1960-62 four door SW. Being that I'm getting older; I prefer to run power steering which would also 'allow' me to have smaller steering wheel for additional leg clearance.

My question being is despite having scads of points for PS fluid leaks; is it really worth messing with trying to fab up a Chevy Astro (reverse rotation) PS gear or, go with the stock Lark/Avanti linkage assist setup? Running the Turner disc brake setup vs stock is a no brainer since the Stude/Avanti disc setup basically sucked, for want of a better word.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Hello there! It has been awhile since we heard from you. For me, nothing wrong with the stock, Bendix PS. Also, the front discs are OK too. But if a major rebuild is needed, might as well go with aftermarket. Turner, and several others make DB kits. Welcome back

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
      Hello there! It has been awhile since we heard from you. For me, nothing wrong with the stock, Bendix PS. Also, the front discs are OK too. But if a major rebuild is needed, might as well go with aftermarket. Turner, and several others make DB kits. Welcome back
      I'm fast coming to the same conclusion about OEM power steering if discussing the 1960's linkage style.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
        I haven't been here for a while but; hopefully I'll be able to get another Stude; this time my first choice would be a 1960-62 four door SW. Being that I'm getting older; I prefer to run power steering which would also 'allow' me to have smaller steering wheel for additional leg clearance.

My question being is despite having scads of points for PS fluid leaks; is it really worth messing with trying to fab up a Chevy Astro (reverse rotation) PS gear or, go with the stock Lark/Avanti linkage assist setup? Running the Turner disc brake setup vs stock is a no brainer since the Stude/Avanti disc setup basically sucked, for want of a better word.
        Have one if you need it-brand new in a GM box. It can be done-but will need an Avanti style post with some U-joints, a way to move it to the left way past center of old box and rail, a custom pitman arm, and some grinding on the left exhaust manifold on a V8. The original box has the worm over the sector for the pitman, to use the Astro box you rotate it to point the sector shaft horizontal, puts the worm below the sector needing to raise it up to locate it to the steering shaft. The pitman shaft and housing is way longer than the original. I considered having the housing machined down, the shaft re-splined and shortened. Not worth it. Steering on S10 Extreme is vague too. All it saves is getting rid of the slave, hoses and control valve. Not worth the work for me. Much easier to stick with the original set up.
        Last edited by karterfred88; 04-17-2016, 08:20 PM.

Comment

The original Bendix setup served on tens of thousands of Studebaker's for only God knows how many hundreds of millions of miles.
          Freshly rebuilt, and with fresh hoses, installed on a well maintained collector car, you can expect that it will do its job for another lifetime.

My view is that a Studebaker is a Studebaker, and should drive, sound, and 'feel' like what I remember as being Studebaker.
          I do not expect, nor even desire, that my Studebaker's drive, or feel like an any-make mid-90s-20xx sedan.

Keeping any antique vehicle operational and road worthy is already challenge. The K.I.S.S method for me, and I believe most, tends to be the most effective way.
          If I felt a driving 'need' for dramatic advances in engineering, and comfort, I would buy a late model mini-van equipped with cup holders, and all the bells, whistles, and MVSS thingamajigs.
          My newest car is my '64 Daytona, supplemented by a well maintained 'everyday driver' 2004 Commercial van (564,000 miles and still going strong)

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
            Have one if you need it-brand new in a GM box. It can be done-but will need an Avanti style post with some U-joints, a way to move it to the left way past center of old box and rail, a custom pitman arm, and some grinding on the left exhaust manifold on a V8. The original box has the worm over the sector for the pitman, to use the Astro box you rotate it to point the sector shaft horizontal, puts the worm below the sector needing to raise it up to locate it to the steering shaft. The pitman shaft and housing is way longer than the original. I considered having the housing machined down, the shaft re-splined and shortened. Not worth it. Steering on S10 Extreme is vague too. All it saves is getting rid of the slave, hoses and control valve. Not worth the work for me. Much easier to stick with the original set up.
            You pretty much answered my question there. Again; going with the Turner disc setup's one thing since it's 99% plug n play whereas the Astro gear swap has too much drama associated with it...........especially the part about modifying the PS gear. Pass............

Comment

If you're running radial tires, switching to old timey bias ply is like adding powered steering.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty_apache View Post
                If you're running radial tires, switching to old timey bias ply is like adding powered steering.
                No bias tires for me: I like my radials.

Comment

Working...
                X