No announcement yet.

Advise about rebuilding an automatic in a '55 Presidnet K body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Advise about rebuilding an automatic in a '55 Presidnet K body

I have considered the GM transmission modification, however, before I start down that road I would look into having the original trans rebuilt. Are there any good transmission men still rebuilding. I have ask several shops in this area and they just look at me like I just fell off a turnip truck. Any comments and or suggestions would be appreciated. I am in the Houston, Tx. area.

Gerry Kurtz in Dover PA rebuilds them, but shipping....Oy! A DG-250M weighs over 200# You can always go to the oldest Mercedes-Benz or Jaguar dealer in your area. They used them into the 60's
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Have you checked if you have a DG250 or a Flight-o-matic? Wasn't 55 the change over year?

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
        Wasn't 55 the change over year?
        56' was the first (model) year for the FOM, but there were a few leftover DG's
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I have a DG250 M in my '55 President State and I just kept asking around. We have someone in our club who really knows his way around these transmissions but he has been very busy and I needed the work done right away. After thinking I had exhausted all possibilities in my area around Portland I stumbled on a small independent shop right in my little town, about 2 miles from my house. I went in and asked the owner if he had ever worked on one of these and he answered, yes, you mean the old cast iron 3-band Borg Warner with the lockout torque converter? Bingo. They did a fine job rebuilding the transmission and even sent the torque converter to Portland for a complete rebuild. Sometimes you just have to be persistent and keep asking around. You may get lucky.

The whole job came to $1,900. You might be able to find someone to do it for less. parts mainly came from FATSCO and Northwest Transmission Parts in Ohio.
          Last edited by Commander Eddie; 04-15-2016, 01:02 PM. Reason: Additional Information
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Beware the Jaguar and Mercedes guys--I saw one specializing in these asking close to $4000.00 exchange with an $800.00 core charge. The parts are available pretty reasonable from FATCO in NJ just need a good old fashioned mechanic to be willing to do it.

Comment

Please don't take your trans to a transmission shop, I have received several in a basket that local shops tore apart and weren't able to reassemble. There are also some special tools that are specific to the DG transmission that are needed for rebuilds. I have a rebuilt DG 250 M that will be at South Bend, If you are located close to Barry Hackney he could possibly pic it up. PM me for more information. or call me at 717 308 1800
              Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Seven years ago, I found a local shop that would re-seal and inspect my DG250M, but they wanted $1,125.00 just for that. If they opened it up, it would cost more. I'm still running it, as I found it. No problems. (it does leak a little)

Comment

Mornin karterfred, one only has to enter a M/B or Jag shop an view the hourly rate, nuff said. Appreciate your response.

Comment

Working...
                  X