Taking the Love of Studebakers a Bit Too Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking the Love of Studebakers a Bit Too Far

I had a tangle with a wire brush mounted in a hand grinder recently. Now I know why they call it a "hand grinder." (lesson learned)

As the wound slowly heals and shrinks, it seems to be expressing my love of Studebaker:

Last edited by Ted Preston; 04-14-2016, 11:27 AM.

HAHAHAhA I was curious where this title was leading to. That is pretty awesome!!

"Spilling a beer is the adult equivalent of a kid letting go of a Balloon."

Comment

Do you think I could end up with a Wheel Logo?
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

That's not too far, it's just far enough!

Comment

When it heals you'll need to have the scar tattooed red, white and blue like the logo.
          I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Well...We may be members of the Studebaker Drivers Club, but for those of us who do our own restoration, and maintenance work...sooner or later, we become part of the "Skin In the Game" Club.

You are not alone.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Neosporin.

A few months ago I got a nine inch grinding wheel in my shirt/ fat roll. It got infected and hurt like heck for weeks.

Don't let that happen.

Dean.

Comment

Years ago a Stude friend of mine needed a partial plate made up. He went to see a dentist here in Mass who was (and still is) a Studebaker fan and owner. The dentist somehow engraved the Studebaker Wheel logo on the inside of one of the new teeth on the plate......This really went over big at parties when, after a few drinks, my friend would always pop this plate out of his mouth and show folks the dentist's handywork!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  Years ago a Stude friend of mine needed a partial plate made up. He went to see a dentist here in Mass who was (and still is) a Studebaker fan and owner. The dentist somehow engraved the Studebaker Wheel logo on the inside of one of the new teeth on the plate......This really went over big at parties when, after a few drinks, my friend would always pop this plate out of his mouth and show folks the dentist's handywork!!!
                  That's just a little twisted; something someone should suggest to Dr. George Rohrbach, DMD , on this forum as Georger .
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    That's just a little twisted; something someone should suggest to Dr. George Rohrbach, DMD , on this forum as Georger .
                    I know it sounds pretty strange...but believe it or not this story is true!

Comment

Yes!! Neosporin does work miracles. A mixture of that and turmeric (a spice) stops bleeding, heals wounds and prevents, or does away with, infection. I keep both in my first aid kit.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                        Neosporin.

A few months ago I got a nine inch grinding wheel in my shirt/ fat roll. It got infected and hurt like heck for weeks.

Don't let that happen.

Dean.
                        Agreed! I've been slathering the thing with Neosporin everyday. The wound is almost two weeks old now, and it started out more than twice the size, nearly filling the entire circle in the photo. It's shrunk down an lot. I've managed to avoid infection, but not pain. For almost a week, I had to keep it elevated. If I hung my arm by my side, it hurt like crazy as the blood pressure built up in my hand. Imagine a lawyer sitting at his desk with his elbow resting on the desk, and the forearm sticking up like he was back in law school, raising his hand in class.

Comment

I'll bet you can get one of those TV lawyers to sue the wire wheel maker for not having a working on Studebaker warning. LOL

My left hand also has a few battle scars and a floating bone chip from working on mu cars. I've learned to wear leather gloves more than I used to.
                          I also wear eye protection more since it cost me a few days of extreme pain and finally $350 to have a grinding speck removed from the surface of my eye.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                            I'll bet you can get one of those TV lawyers to sue the wire wheel maker for not having a working on Studebaker warning. LOL

My left hand also has a few battle scars and a floating bone chip from working on mu cars. I've learned to wear leather gloves more than I used to.
                            I also wear eye protection more since it cost me a few days of extreme pain and finally $350 to have a grinding speck removed from the surface of my eye.
                            In defense of the maker of that wire wheel: I was working on a Ford! I have also gotten better at wearing eye protection after a similar painful event, when a tiny speck of mineral off a shingle jumped into my eye while I was installing shingles. A few hours later, the doctor showed me the tiny speck of sharp mineral and I expressed disbelief that such a tiny thing could cause so much pain. I remember his gruff voice telling me: "That . . . is a ROCK . . . when it's in your eye." Sure enough that's what it felt like.

I've spent the past week dismantling a Jaguar, and I have been far better about putting on gloves and safety glasses when I fire up the power tools.

Comment

"I've spent the past week dismantling a Jaguar, and I have been far better about putting on gloves and safety glasses when I fire up the power tools."

I was reading this thread and I just had to jump in because of this comment. Yes. please wear safety glasses when working on your cars but one should wear gloves only when using hand tools not power tools. A guy at my company was wearing gloves while running an engine lathe the glove got caught and pulled his hand and arm into and around his work. Broke his arm in a bunch of places and pulled two finger off. I know that a hand drill is not an engine lathe but better safe than sorry
                              I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X