Tailgate hinges . . . again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate hinges . . . again

No luck finding tailgate hinges for my P2 big box ('64 Champ 8E5). Does anyone recall an article on making them out of bearings and shafts from discarded electric motors, or generators, etc? Again, any source for a Studebaker blueprint for parts?

Check SDC home page, Resources, Tech Tips ...'bout a 3rd of the way down.
    sigpic

Wayne Lee

Comment

Richard, I thought You found a pair here on the forum . but if You haven't I have a p[air "just need to dig a little".

Originally posted by RSykes View Post
      No luck finding tailgate hinges for my P2 big box ('64 Champ 8E5). Does anyone recall an article on making them out of bearings and shafts from discarded electric motors, or generators, etc? Again, any source for a Studebaker blueprint for parts?
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I made a pair out of old V8 water pumps for my 54. They were to big for that tailgate. It was discussed on the STT 2-3 years ago. I believe Ted Jensen has the thread on making them.

Comment

Mike Kowalsky told me one time that he bought the last hinges that Newman Altman had so he could use them on his ww2 german halftrack project....I guess the hinges for the rear doors are nearly identical.

Comment

I thought I did, too. Someone said he had some, but he was out-of-town and would contact me when he returned. I didn't see a contact back on those hinges. I'd love to get some. Been looking for 8 years. I'd make them, but it seems there are no sources for blueprints.

Thanks,

Rick
            aresykes@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
              Mike Kowalsky told me one time that he bought the last hinges that Newman Altman had so he could use them on his ww2 german halftrack project....I guess the hinges for the rear doors are nearly identical.
              Mike was involved in an auto accident about January. Rear ended at a stop light by a drunk driver. Hit so hard that his car was flipped on its side, knocked into the intersection and hit by another car. He was in a coma. Heard he was slowing responding. A South Bend fireman. Had 2 months to retirement.

Comment

Working...
              X