De-finned Hawks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-finned Hawks?

This popped up in a dream last night, I used in daydream about this in my teens and 20s in the '70s-'80s, and my poor '57 Hawk may go in that direction, after I recuperate from my current disaster, so are there nifty looking de-finned customized Hawks? Perhaps with some shaving or other cleaning up?
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Google 1956 Sky Hawk, Power Hawk and Flight Hawk and you will see what the "definned Hawk looks like.
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Funny - I always thought the 53/54 shovel nose would look better WITH fins.

Just goes to show the grass is always greener on the other side!
      -------------------
      Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Ernie View Post

I have toyed with the notion of adding fins to my 54. But I would only ever add 56 fins. Not the taller 57 fins.
        sals54

Comment

62-64 G.T. Hawks were also "defined" while the peak molding covered the fender joint on the rear that was covered by the fin on prior models.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Ernie View Post
            How dare you call the most beautiful Cars ever built "Shovel Nose"? Really? You must be thinking of '55's!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

He may like shovels.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

To me, the most pleasing things, have a natural flow, regardless of the work of nature or the hand of man. When it comes to automotive design, every one, ever produced, is a result of someone's artistic expression. Individually, we all have varying degrees of artistic "expectations." It is within those expectations, whether our sensibilities are pleased, or offended by "others artistic expressions." I've chosen to be most critical toward those who (in my opinion) have disrupted, in my judgement, the "natural flow." We need to recognize that the word "chosen" is important. Because, in order to have the freedom of expression, we all cherish, we can't insist on anyone adhering to our individual standards.

Over the years...I've seen finned Hawks, de-finned Hawks, never finned Hawks, re-finned Hawks, added finned Hawks, and modified finned Hawks. Some, better than others, but, for the most part...love 'em all!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  I have toyed with the notion of adding fins to my 54. But I would only ever add 56 fins. Not the taller 57 fins.

Blasphemy!

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                    Blasphemy!
                    What did I say? Remember the Chisenhall 53 that did over 200 mph with his Vintage Air blowing cold? It was a publicity stunt for his Vintage Air Company, but nevertheless, he had fins on his 53. They looked pretty cool.
                    sals54

Comment

That would make your car similar to what Bob Bourke did to his personal 1954 Starliner. Bob cast "pot metal" fins, of his design, that he put on his 1954. These led to the 1956 Golden Hawk fiberglass fins.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What did I say? Remember the Chisenhall 53 that did over 200 mph with his Vintage Air blowing cold? It was a publicity stunt for his Vintage Air Company, but nevertheless, he had fins on his 53. They looked pretty cool.
                        Yep it was a pretty cool car, no pun intended, but I didn't like the fins.

Comment

'57 Silver Hawk fins are the coolest....
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Chris Pile is right!

Comment

Sure, ditch the fins and never look back!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X