Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference in quality of parts then and now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in quality of parts then and now.

Just finished installing a set of new shock absorbers on the front of our 1952 Commander. When I was finished I took a look at the old shocks and they were stamped HOUDAILLE, under that STUDEBAKER and under that 527924, the part number. Not knowing how many miles are on this car it's nevertheless amazing that the shocks lasted that long before one of them started leaking. Nowadays if a set of shocks/struts lasts five years you are fortunate.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Just luck, I think. My 63 Hawk shocks were shot when I purchased it in 1966 with 18,000 miles, my new, at the time 66 Olds shocks were shot at 15,000 miles and leaking. My 90s and up car's shocks all went over 100,000 miles, worked well and didn't leak up until I sold them. I don't think the old shocks were really any longer lasting.

Comment

Aren't those original shocks rebuildable?

The shock's on my '01 Ranger were good until 120,000 miles or so. My Caliber has 95,000 miles on it and they still work great.
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I didn't change the shocks on my 2001 Silverado until it had well over 100k miles, and none of them were leaking, just losing their effectiveness. I think it depends a lot on how you drive and the roads you travel. Just like life!
        Last edited by Pat Dilling; 04-10-2016, 08:31 AM.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

You are thinking of the Houdaille knee action shocks used on earlier cars. While these do have the name Houdaille on them they are the regular tubular type shocks and of course are not rebuildable.
          Originally posted by Swifster View Post
          Aren't those original shocks rebuildable?

The shock's on my '01 Ranger were good until 120,000 miles or so. My Caliber has 95,000 miles on it and they still work great.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

There is no question that the best quality shocks made today are superior to anything you could buy 40 years ago. The overall design, improved elastomer seal material and design, improved metal alloys and plating, and improved automated machining all add up to better quality and longer life at more or less the same cost. Of course there may be some lousy cut rate shocks made today, but the cost is low enough that there would not seem to be much incentive to cut corners on OEM shocks.

I replaced the original shocks on my Mitsubishi Montero with some KYB gas shocks at about 60,000 miles because I wanted to improve the handling. They still seem to work well enough and have shown no sign of leaking that I can observe, with the clock showing 335,000 miles. Of course I assume the gas pressure leaked away years ago. I did replace the rubber bushings on the front ones about a year ago.
            Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
            See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Partly why the differences in longevity nowadays is due to the differences in roads. There is a world of difference between 1950s-60s roads and today's roads. Many were not even paved, had, "washboard" bumps, mud holes in the middle of the road, etc. All one needs to do to confirm that is watch an old, "Highway Patrol" show. Everything got a work out back then: brakes, suspension, steering, frame, etc.. I wonder how some modern brand 'X' vehicles would hold up on those roads.

Comment

Well...barring some catastrophic failure...shocks seem to lose their performance gradually. It is kinda human nature to become accustomed to gradual changes and not realize the extent of the change. It's sort of like having some kind of slow progressing illness. It is only after the illness is cured that you realize how bad off you really were. Every time I have replaced a set of shocks, I have been amazed at the immediate improvement, and only then realized I should have had the job done earlier. I have experienced similar revelations when replacing a set of tires.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Ya about Your last comment, I think a lot more Struts would be changing Hands.

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  Partly why the differences in longevity nowadays is due to the differences in roads. There is a world of difference between 1950s-60s roads and today's roads. Many were not even paved, had, "washboard" bumps, mud holes in the middle of the road, etc. All one needs to do to confirm that is watch an old, "Highway Patrol" show. Everything got a work out back then: brakes, suspension, steering, frame, etc.. I wonder how some modern brand 'X' vehicles would hold up on those roads.
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

As the old saw goes, "The 'Good ol' Days' are mostly a result of a bad ol' memory."

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                      As the old saw goes, "The 'Good ol' Days' are mostly a result of a bad ol' memory."
                      I have no idea what that means.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        I have no idea what that means.
                        Means they weren't that good we just remember the good parts.

Some tubular shocks are rebuild able.....Konis as an example. I have no knowledge of the Houdaille tubular shocks.

My experience with KYB and with Rancho truck shocks made by KYB is they last about 30,000 miles. They work great up to the seal failure point then it becomes like having no shocks at all. In my 74 Saab when the rear shocks failed I was driving on the four lane us 52 outside of town and hit some small imperfections in the concrete pavement and the rear wheels started dancing and the rear end started going sideways. It is very unnerving to have to give opposite lock on dry pavement. I was on the big bridge over the Wabash river at the time so losing control could have been pretty bad.
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Yes the Koni's are rebuildable, however the cost for each shock is in the $130 to $ 150 range plus shipping both ways. In my experience hd springs and hd (larger diameter) sway bars with stiff shocks do not make for the most comfortable ride. Lou Cote

Comment

I don't think they charged me to rebuild the Konis at all.....was about 10 years ago though.
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                            X