6 to 12 volts continued...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 to 12 volts continued...

The reason for considering the 12 volt system is because the radio is a YAESU FT-890 13.5-V DC +/- 10% negative ground. Of course this doesn't mean much except to those who are into electricity and HAM Radio but when receiving it draws 1.5 Amps and when I transmit it draws 20 Amps. In the truck where I am currently using the radio I have always had to have the motor running when I transmit very long. Most likely if I cut the power down I could talk longer without starting it up.

As a mobile unit I talk from Southern Indiana to New York, New Mexico, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Florida and states in between. Of course as a base unit it will reach overseas etc

Thanks for the grounding reminders! That comment reminded me that back in the late 80's when I put the turn signals on the car before I sold it, that I added a wire for the grounding rather than depending on the light sockets. The suggestion for the grounding wire to the starter is an excellent idea which I plan to incorporate as I install the new wiring harness etc.

I really enjoy this forum which results in so many ideas about how to best deal with things regarding my 50-now I understand why my son has enjoyed the ZR-2 Forum so much for so long-of course that one netted him a fine wife and after a few years a beautiful daughter for them and a grandchild for us too.

At this point, I think that a battery in the trunk and an alternator with a built in regulator will be the way I will go. I can get a 12 volt generator from O'Riley's for a little less than $100 which would look more original but of course having two generators will not look too original anyway. I doubt that the generator would keep the battery charged as good-any comments about this would be appreciated.

Jim

1950 2 timer
    Orleans, Indiana
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
Working...
X