A/C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C

Im restoring a 55 e7 pickup. I would like to install air conditioning. Not exactly sure how to go about this. I was wondering if there was any type of under dash unit that would work. I don't really want to go the traditional route under the hood.

Originally posted by andy w View Post
    Im restoring a 55 e7 pickup. I would like to install air conditioning. Not exactly sure how to go about this. I was wondering if there was any type of under dash unit that would work. I don't really want to go the traditional route under the hood.
    Check with Vintage Air (http://www.vintageair.com/). They specialize in such installations and have some very compact units for under the dash.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

As far as I know ALL automotive A/C systems utilize a compressor driven by the engine and a condenser in front of the car's radiator, so there is no way to avoid the "traditional route under the hood." Think about it: Where else would you put the compressor and how would you drive it? And, where else would you put the condenser except in front of the radiator? That condenser gets rid of the heat that is removed from the interior of the car.
      -Dwight FitzSimons

Comment

They make electric compressors for Prius and other Hybrid type cars. That way you could put the compressor in the trunk if desired. However, they are NOT cheap..
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Since the Studebaker C cab trucks don't have a traditional dash board ahead of the firewall the evaporator will be on the engine side of the firewall. IF you want to avoid an under dash unit. Back when my brother put a/c in his 57 Transtar no Studebaker specific unit was available. He cut off most of his glove box and mounted the evaporator there. He built a cover over the back of the Instrument panel to hide the evaporator and the back of the instruments. There isn't much of a way around this, but at least a Studebaker specific unit is available now.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by andy w View Post
            Custom Aftermarket A/C Systems & Factory Replacement AC and Heater Parts for Hot Rods and Classic or Vintage Cars and Trucks including: Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, GMC Pickup, Corvette, Chevelle, and more!

You might also be interested in these links. I am using The Air Shop in Orange, CA to replace the dealer-installed air conditioning in my '57 President Classic. I will probably have them install either the Old Air 200 or 300 under dash units, plus a new compressor under the hood and might be able to use the original condenser in front of the radiator. You can probably find a shop around Charleston who can put in either a Vintage Air or Old Air unit. I have attached a few photos I have acquired to achieve my installation.
            Attached Files
            sigpic
            Jack, in Montana

Comment

Hey there Jack in Montana .. Where in Montana are you? Im north in Fernie British Columbia ..
              That air unit that is square is so 70's looking and not attractive at all but the unit with the round
              vents looks great .. Those old compressors were huge lol . Im wanting to put an AC unit in my GT hawk
              but also retain the Supercharger unit .. Would love to see some pics if anyone has done this ??
              Love my Lark

Comment

One of our chapter members put A/C on his 64 GT Hawk with a supercharger years ago. It was a tight fit and he ran an extremely long belt. The small compressors they make now are an easier fit than the original style units, but there's not much room.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Jett289 View Post
                  Hey there Jack in Montana .. Where in Montana are you? Im north in Fernie British Columbia ..
                  That air unit that is square is so 70's looking and not attractive at all but the unit with the round
                  vents looks great .. Those old compressors were huge lol . Im wanting to put an AC unit in my GT hawk
                  but also retain the Supercharger unit .. Would love to see some pics if anyone has done this ??
                  I'm in Anaconda, just 22 miles NW from Butte. I will probably put the unit with round vents in my President. The one installed ...by dealer...? in '58..? looks like the square unit, but better. The round unit resembles those seen in the 63-66 Cruisers and the Avanti's. Lots of GT Hawks came from the factory with the round type under-dash unts.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jnfweber; 04-07-2016, 06:39 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Jack, in Montana

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
                    As far as I know ALL automotive A/C systems utilize a compressor driven by the engine and a condenser in front of the car's radiator, so there is no way to avoid the "traditional route under the hood." Think about it: Where else would you put the compressor and how would you drive it? And, where else would you put the condenser except in front of the radiator? That condenser gets rid of the heat that is removed from the interior of the car.
                    -Dwight FitzSimons
                    Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                    They make electric compressors for Prius and other Hybrid type cars. That way you could put the compressor in the trunk if desired. However, they are NOT cheap..
                    There are remote mount compressors available nowadays but they're not cheap http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...51133/10002/-1

Prius compressors operate on high voltage from the hybrid system which can be 200 volts on some years.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Christm2011 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1704669 This is Vintage Air's A/C unit that was specifically designed to fit the C Cab Studebaker trucks. Mine is a 49 2R, I'm not sure how different your dash is from mine but this unit fits right into the openings studebaker used for their heaters. I tried to post a picture from the under the hood side but am having difficulty getting it to post. Perhaps I will try again later.
                      Jon Stalnaker
                      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	final 011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1704670 Under the hood view.
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

andy w:
                          Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

You may want to drop in on Studebaker Truck Talk.
                          Studebaker trucks only, they may have some ideas also.
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                          X