64 wheel color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 wheel color

In the restoration of my 64 GT I replaced the factory disc brakes with Turner Brakes, I also bought a larger wheel to supplement the modern brakes. With that I sent the wheels and one of the original wheels(the spare) to my body shop to match the paint and paint new rims. The color match is perfect! The paint used was from BASF and it says "AMC CB Buff Yellow". Hopefully this will help others when they are looking for that "off white" paint match.

It is an addiction!

They sure look very nice!

Comment

Hey Joe
      What kind of wheels did you find. I've been looking for Crown Vic wheels but not having much luck.

Comment

If they look Yellow in person as they do here, and not Beige/Light Tan, they will not be correct sitting next to a correct Car with Almond Beige Wheels.

The lighting on the wheel, when they scanned it may have polluted the reading.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If You look at the center portion between the bead area the correct Color seems to show up. as fussy as Joe likely is with this Special Bird,the Color is as stated.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          If they look Yellow in person as they do here, and not Beige/Light Tan, they will not be correct sitting next to a correct Car with Almond Beige Wheels.

The lighting on the wheel, when they scanned it may have polluted the reading.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The original off-white paint used on Studebaker wheels in the '60's was an odd, grayish-white color, not a yellow or a cream. The easiest way to obtain it is to buy it from Studebaker International. They have it in spray cans or a quart can. The quart version is Sikkens Autobase Plus RM, a polyurethane. I have it although I haven't sprayed it yet (not warm enough yet). Evidently it is ready to spray, although the viscosity seems to be a little thick, so it may need slight reduction with a thinner.
            -Dwight FitzSimons

Comment

Ditto on the rims. I want to do the same turner brake conversion and rims for my Lark Cruiser.

Mark

Comment

I just Hope in real Sunlight, that they are Beige after all that work and expense.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I bought the wheels from an Avanti parts dealer in Wixom Mi. off EBAY. I bid on those before Jim Turner sent me a link of wheels sold by Summit Racing of which I can't find now. The wheels Jim sent me are cheaper than what I paid, I had to honor the bid I placed on Ebay.Anyway I hope Jim sees this post or someone contacts him and posts the other wheel info here. I paid $100.00 per wheel and the picture Jim sent was 85.00 per wheel.

StudeRich, I know the picture looks a little yellow but when I set a old rim next to it with the original color it is an exact match. The match was done by the same guys who did my 56J using a color spectrometer, and that piece of equipment doesn't miss color. I also know that if you take three different paint suppliers you will get three different paint colors, each company uses a different pigment supplier. Use of a color spectrometer eliminates this variance as it calculates the pigment used.

Fun to contemplate what is correct and what is not on 50+ year old cars.
                  It is an addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post

Fun to contemplate what is correct and what is not on 50+ year old cars.

Add another hundred years to that and an utterly different paint system with colour and gloss coat separated...
                    Makes colour matching so very much more fun!
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

You are correct Studeclunker:

Today's paint system is far superior to paints in the Studebaker era. Earl Sheib or Macco is far superior to the paint jobs from the factory on Studebakers. But the question is, "how far is too far"? In my opinion after purchasing NOS body panels and correcting any flaws in those panels and the basic cab a person should/needs to apply a modern paint job that will last the life of the car being restored. I'm going to base coat/clear coat and never look back. When I can see a fly slide off the fender......... I know I have a great paint job.........LOL
                      It is an addiction!

Comment

Just a quick note-that doesn't matter, Earl Scheib went out of business, like Studebaker, but waited till 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                          Just a quick note-that doesn't matter, Earl Scheib went out of business, like Studebaker, but waited till 2010.
                          Well Maaco took over where they left off.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just FYI, Studebaker disc brake wheels will fit over a Turner Brake conversion. For those wanting the wider wheels, they are listed in Coker Tires website.
                            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                            X