April TW, inside front cover photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April TW, inside front cover photo

Maybe I've missed it (definite possibility), but I haven't seen anyone rave about the inside front cover photo of the new '65 Daytona Sports Sedan. Seems to me that factory color photos of Studebakers are pretty unusual, and that's a pretty car. Neat to know it's at the Proving Ground, by the brick pillars there. I'd love to just step right into that picture!

I'm guessing that was summer '64--between kindergarten and first-grade for me...LOL.

Funny, ironic, whatever, that the car would've been built in Hamilton but shipped all the way to South Bend for factory promotional photos like this one.

There are a father-and-son from Maryland who have shown a '65 nearly just like this car, at international meets over the years--except their car has black interior instead of red. It's a real nice car.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

I would bet that this car had never been out of northern Indiana when this photo was taken. All of the adaptation of the McKinnon engines was done in South Bend before the Engineering Department was shut down.

Ed Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by stratovue View Post
      I would bet that this car had never been out of northern Indiana when this photo was taken. All of the adaptation of the McKinnon engines was done in South Bend before the Engineering Department was shut down.

Ed Reynolds
      Good point, Ed. That car was probably the prototype for the subsequent production Daytonas built at Hamilton.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

I'm curious what the roman numerals on the passenger side vent window mean. I'm sure they serve a purpose... I never noticed them on any past factory photos of other cars

Comment

Originally posted by beatnik64 View Post
          I'm curious what the roman numerals on the passenger side vent window mean. I'm sure they serve a purpose... I never noticed them on any past factory photos of other cars
          To me, it looks like either VXI or YXI, neither of which makes sense in roman numerals.
          I am guessing that it was some system to keep prototype cars separate (identity). Prototype cars normally did not have a regular Serial Number.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X