Avanti Driver's window replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Avanti Driver's window replace

I am working on one of my Avantis and I need to replace the channel that goes on top of the regulator. I have purchased replacement channels from SI, but do not have the seal/gasket/rubber that goes between the channel and window. Does anyone know what was used, can be used and where to get it?

Thanks
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Usually all you can get is the glass setting tape, as it is called in the trades. I think only hawks had the rubber seal with the extra lip that stuck out and deflected moisture. Your local glass shop may or may not have it, as it is a long time since any manufacturer used it. Also, it comes in several thicknesses. it is applied with a lube like MMO, and a rawhide mallet and lots of force!
    Last edited by bezhawk; 03-30-2016, 04:18 PM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks,
      I found some glass setting tape on the internet in several thicknesses. I will try to measure a piece of what is left to get some idea of what I need. Sounds like it may be more fun to put it in than take it out. As it was, the channel was so corroded that it came apart in pieces. Fortunately, the riser part is good. Now to spot weld the new channel on and put the glass in without breaking.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
        Thanks,
        I found some glass setting tape on the internet in several thicknesses. I will try to measure a piece of what is left to get some idea of what I need. Sounds like it may be more fun to put it in than take it out. As it was, the channel was so corroded that it came apart in pieces. Fortunately, the riser part is good. Now to spot weld the new channel on and put the glass in without breaking.
        Blunt, plastic rods, hammering on the metal lip to remove (if it didn't fall off). Keep metal away from glass while "setting" in the channel--tempered glass explodes when it does let go-- be safe wear safety glasses.

Comment

A thin as well as a thicker setting tape allows one to establish a good thickness for glass retention. If it taps in too easily it probably won't hold. Use whatever number of layers as necessary. Hold the tape in place on the window with 4 strips if masking tape over the length. Lube the channel well with WD40 or #10 motor oil. Position the window on the channel to align with the window metal frame screws (if it hasn't been removed) and begin tapping down on the metal frame. I use a rubber mallet.
          If using multiple layers, put the thinner layers to the inside or against the glass. If the outside thick layer begins to tear or rip, back off on the total thickness. The lube softens and swells the setting tape, assisting in insertion and retention. Apply liberally. Once the glass is down in the channel and the frame screws in place, use a razor to trim the excess setting tape and masking tape strips on both sides. Clean up the glass and your done.
          The same procedure applies to installing the window frame, except that the frame doesn't have the expansion that the lift channel does, so more attention needs to given to selecting an appropriate thickness. The frame will have to be tapped on in a diagonal fashion, tapping along both top and side frame alternately, to avoid splitting the frame weld. It's best to put the frame on the window before setting the window into the lift channel.

Comment

The problem with 10wt motor oil is is stays slippery, and the glass may pop out. The Avantis are just held in place by tension, and no screws to the bottom channel to the stainless frame. Use a light lube Like wd40 or better yet Marvel Mystery Oil, the will be able to dry our and be washed off. Yes you do need some sort of solvent based lube as it does the trick of swelling the composite setting tape.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948

Comment

bezhawk, your point that there are no screws retaining the stainless frame to the lift channel caused me to question my 80 year old memory and reach for the parts book. Indeed, there are two 8-32 retaining screws per side. Perhaps I should have referred to the lift channel assembly, even tho the book lists part #2120-17 as a lift channel.

Comment

Probably my faulty memory, The C body coupes without the stainless frame is probably what I was thinking of. Still, the oil comment rings true regardless.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948

Comment

Working...
                X