Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1958 Packard Power brake and other info needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Packard Power brake and other info needed.

Hello gents, I'm seriously thinking of buying a 1958 Packard 4dr that has a power brake booster. My questions; are these hard to work on? Are they reliable? Who, and how much would it take to restore it if need be? Were these units used on other brand X makes and models?

It's a Colorado car that I'm told is solid, but I've been mislead before on that number. I have seen pics of it, but am not able to save and post them. It definitely doesn't have the rust belt cancer, but will need an interior, including the padded dash, which I might be in the market to buy at a later date.

It does not have, or look like it ever had, a supercharger on it but there is an extra piece or two on the front side of the carb. Can anyone one give me an idea of what that's all about?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pckstude; 03-25-2016, 07:12 PM. Reason: adding pics

Yes, the Bendix Hydrovacs are very reliable. They can be rebuilt, or there are now new manufacture Hydrovacs available from Studebaker International. Hydrovacs were used on many other cars and trucks over the years.

In '58, the only Packard with a supercharger was the Hawk. Your 4-door would not have had a supercharger from the factory.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The pieces in front of the carburetor are the oil filler tube, and oil filter. (uses Fram PB50).
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I think the object which appears to be attached to the front of carb where fuel line connects on WCFB is a fuel filter or pressure regulator. Can't see fuel line may be missing

Comment

They are great cars! With the power booster for the brakes having the ability to be rebuilt, I would keep it. With this model it is best to keep it 100% original. Those that have deviated from restoring it as original have not recovered their money and had a tough te selling them. Original ones are not only appreciated greatly at shows, but they hold their value very well. I have a lot of parts for this model and year. If you need anything, please send me a note and I will do my best to help.

Comment

I have a 57 Packard and love it. Nearly everyone who sees it, love it. A real attention getter!
            Now a 1958 would gather twice as much attention!
            With the twin headlamp pods and the double fins, it exudes 1950's styling!
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Beauty is in the eye of the holder because the guy selling it says it's the ugliest car ever made. That style of tail lights just slay me. I love'm. However, the headlights are something only a momma could love. There's a lot of work just to get up and running, much less road worthy for a $2,000 price tag. I will have to think hard on it given my lack of resources, like a garage to work on it. I will most likely end up with a plain jane '64 commander, which wouldn't take much at all to get on the road. If I decide not to buy it, I will post the info in a new thread. He also has a '59 Stude 2dr in good shape, minus a motor for about the same price.

Comment

The Hydrovacs can be rebuilt.

This is the link to my uncle's power brake rebuilding shop. They are experts on the old hydrovacs and other vintage power brake units. They've been in business since 1959. My grandfather started the business and my father was involved at the very beginning until he decided to start his own machine shop (which he and I still run).

Call and ask for Mike Weller. Tell him Scott Pitts sent you.

Comment

Scott, which facility is Mike Weller at -- San Jose or Bell Gardens?
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Hopefully the questions have been answered well enough to allow for a bit of thread drift.

I'm sorry, but curiosity is getting the best of me on this.
                    I have two questions-
                    • Did you happen to notice what the 'streamer' said? The streamer is the piece attached with one of the screws holding the body tag on. The body tag is that metal plate on the upper passenger side firewall with the numbers/letters stamped into it. (my guess- power windows)
                    • Has anyone ever seen a '58 Packard with a bracket for a dry type air cleaner? At least- that's what I assume I see over there on the passenger side of the engine. This is what is 'normally' found under the hood of a '58 Packard~

Click image for larger version

Name:	11490019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1704411

Thank you for allowing the drift I have provided...

StudeDave '57
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                      Scott, which facility is Mike Weller at -- San Jose or Bell Gardens?
                      He's at the San Jose location.

Comment

Working...
                      X