Everything color - 54 Champion K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Everything color - 54 Champion K

I still have a way to go until I have to deal with paint of my car's body etc. - but some parts like the engine might come up in a few weeks (months?).

I studied John Bridges' most helpful book, but some questions remain:

I am currently restoring a 54 Champion Hardtop. Its original color was saffron cream but it has been incorrectly painted dark brown 40 years ago.
    The original color is present underneath in most areas which makes it a lot easier.

I already figured that interior/dash etc. have been painted body color in 1954.

Am I correct that the fenders have not been painted inside (simple asphalt conservation over steal?). Or should those be in body color?

BTW: other than its original state I want to paint the upper/roof black (saffron cream / velvet black) - one option in 1954.

One major question: how do I paint the engine. There is one mention in Bridges' book that V8s have been olive green with black covers etc.
    What about the 6-cylinder?

From pictures I found online the engine block and oil pan should be green - also the engine head. Other parts black? Is that correct?
    What about the air intake / filter? I have seen red and black versions. I might stick to black - seems mine has always been black.

Thanks for every kind of help!

Besides Bridges' excellent book, use Fred Fox's Feature Article(s) in TW on the 1954 for information, such as colors.

I am not certain that I understand what you are referring to as "inside" the fenders. If you mean the inner fenders, next to the engine, they should be the lower body color. If you mean the part of the fender that is exposed to the wheel/tire, they should not receive finish paint. A coat of primer, possibly followed by sound deadening (undercoat).

The engine color is what I refer to as (old) 30 weight oil green. I use Packard engine green.

You are referring to color combination 1167 (what you want for your 1954). You will need the gold "Studebaker" nameplate for the C pillar. Be sure to get the paint separation line correct - the shortest distance from the nameplate to the window.

Your Safford (not "Saffron") Cream car should have Mauve Tan for the major painted interior parts, such as the dash.

Where was your car assembled? There may be variations to the above.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Gary for your help!

I think mine has been assembled in South Bend - I don't have a reference at hand - the VIN is GI274966

Sorry for the "Safford" error ....

Going through the parts of my car, I think I already found the C-pillar nameplates - though the car was one-color.

A pillar and dash have originally been painted Safford Cream - just as the outside.

Fenders: yes, I meant the outside looking surface (not the inner fender - there's a lot of pictures of those on the web and in the books).

How do I get TW feature articles (Fred Fox)?

Comment

Originally posted by austrian View Post
        Thanks Gary for your help!

I think mine has been assembled in South Bend - I don't have a reference at hand - the VIN is GI274966

Sorry for the "Safford" error ....

Going through the parts of my car, I think I already found the C-pillar nameplates - though the car was one-color.

A pillar and dash have originally been painted Safford Cream - just as the outside.

Fenders: yes, I meant the outside looking surface (not the inner fender - there's a lot of pictures of those on the web and in the books).

How do I get TW feature articles (Fred Fox)?
        Your S/N is for a VERY early 1954 Champion assembled in South Bend (start G-1274001).

Monotone (one color) South Bend cars did not use the C pillar nameplate. Twotone (two colors) South Bend cars and ALL C/K from Vernon/LA California used the C pillar nameplate.

Back issues of Turning Wheels are available from SDC. Go to the SDC Home Page - click on link at the top of this page. Hopefully, someone can tell you what issues you should be looking for. If SDC does not have the issues that you want, post a wanted ad here on the SDC Forum.

You can get a Production Order, with a lot of information on your car, from the Studebaker National Museum.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thank you Gary!

Its interesting that almost all screws on my car are metric!!! I purchased inch tools just 10 days ago when I came across some 1/2 and 5/8 bolts at the front axle.

I have to look into the original upper body color, but my father only remembers unicolor ...... however I do have c pillar nameplates amongst my parts (maybe my great grandfather fitted them later on?).

I tried to order a production order a few weeks ago but payment by credit card was not possible in my case ....

Comment

Thank you Gary!

Its interesting that almost all screws on my car are metric!!! I purchased inch tools just 10 days ago when I came across some 1/2 and 5/8 bolts at the front axle.

I have to look into the original upper body color, but my father only remembers unicolor ...... however I do have c pillar nameplates amongst my parts (maybe my great grandfather fitted them later on?).

I tried to order a production order a few weeks ago but payment by credit card was not possible in my case ....
            The metric sizing confuses me. I assume that you know that some metric sizes are the same as or close to some English sizes. If they are truly metric fasteners, that leads me to two possibilities.
            1) The car has had work done, with some fasteners changed, in Europe.
            2) The car was a South Bend car that was shipped CKD to Europe for assembly there. The production order will tell you if that is the case.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I would say that 99.9% of all bolts/screws were metric so far (and I am pretty done with the disassembly).

Was the export of non-assembled cars a common practice at Studebaker? My car has been sold new in Austria early in 1954.

I will check similarities of metric and english sizes .... that is definitely a possibility.

Comment

I would say that 99.9% of all bolts/screws were metric so far (and I am pretty done with the disassembly).

Was the export of non-assembled cars a common practice at Studebaker? My car has been sold new in Austria early in 1954.

I will check similarities of metric and english sizes .... that is definitely a possibility.
                Yes, knocked-down/crated car "kits" were shipped by Studebaker to locations all around the World, including Europe. The cars usually ended up with some locally sourced items, like uphostery, tires, etc.

Your production order should state if your car was shipped as a CKD or a completed car.
                I don't have a way to check your S/N, but there are others here that probably could (assuming that they are reading this).

EDIT: 32 individual people have read this thread/topic, but I do not see anyone that has access to the S/N records in South Bend. Are you still pursuing a production order from the SNM?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Yes, knocked-down/crated car "kits" were shipped by Studebaker to locations all around the World, including Europe. The cars usually ended up with some locally sourced items, like uphostery, tires, etc.

Your production order should state if your car was shipped as a CKD or a completed car.
                  I don't have a way to check your S/N, but there are others here that probably could (assuming that they are reading this).

EDIT: 32 individual people have read this thread/topic, but I do not see anyone that has access to the S/N records in South Bend. Are you still pursuing a production order from the SNM?
                  Hi Gary,

thank you! Yes, I tried to get a production order again and again, last time I sent an email to the museum but no one answered ..... (problem is some mismatch with my address and the billing address from my credit card - however, I only have one address .... seems to be a problem with international info in the online forms).

Comment

Hi Gary,

thank you! Yes, I tried to get a production order again and again, last time I sent an email to the museum but no one answered ..... (problem is some mismatch with my address and the billing address from my credit card - however, I only have one address .... seems to be a problem with international info in the online forms).
                    I have had similar problems with using a credit card online. Sometimes the mismatch was as simple as one had my middle initial and the other didn't, so they did not match.

Do you have a US address that you could use?
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The last time I tired to order something from the museum online, this never worked.
                      A few years ago, I got my production order but I had to give them by mail all the data of my credit card.
                      I think a true online shop that can also automatically handle foreign orders is mandatory there.
                      By the way, as you gave your serial number, I took the liberty to ask at D'Ietren's if they assembled your car. I'll keep you posted about this.
                      Nice day to all.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
                        The last time I tired to order something from the museum online, this never worked.
                        A few years ago, I got my production order but I had to give them by mail all the data of my credit card.
                        I think a true online shop that can also automatically handle foreign orders is mandatory there.
                        By the way, as you gave your serial number, I took the liberty to ask at D'Ietren's if they assembled your car. I'll keep you posted about this.
                        Nice day to all.
                        Hey Christophe, thank you very much for your help with finding out where my car was built!

Still nothing from the museum - but it doesn't matter for now - I am too much concentrated on the restoration.

Comment

Hi Florian,
                          Yes, D'Ieteren assembled your car.
                          It was orderd by Autotechna A.G. Luer Kraftfahrzeug in Salzburg. The invoice date is 30/06/54. The engine number should be 1096263 and it was mated to an automatic drive.
                          I hope you'll get your production order from the museum soon.
                          Nice day to all.
                          sigpic

Comment

I wish to complement studegary for his thoughtful and accurate advise to the international member above. Its a reminder of how large and diverse the Studebaker world has become. Some very interesting cars were shipped to or assembled in Europe. Our experience with Europeans is that they are extremely appreciative of any help they receive weather it be parts, advice, encouragement, etc.

Chris.

Comment

/Cut/

The Dashes were only painted Gray or Tan, never Body Color in the U.S. and Canada, so we would need to find out if some exports were re-painted, shipped in primer or what.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X