c cab throttle linkage with overdrive trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: c cab throttle linkage with overdrive trans

I have a 54 c cab truck with the overdrive transmission that I bought after someone had already started restoring it, although they didn't get very far. I also had another tuck that I used for parts that didn't have overdrive trans. my problem is I don't have all the linkage for the throttle that uses the kick down switch and I have been unable to figure out how the bracket for the switch mounts. I am hoping that someone out there has a c cab truck that they can take some pictures of the linkage so that I can get an idea of how it mounts and what parts that I need. I painted the truck two weeks ago and started the wiring when I discovered that I have the non overdrive linkage installed so I am having to backtrack a little here. Any info would be greatly appreciated

If I am reading you correctly, you do NOT have all the parts for the OD linkage? Do you have a parts book that shows all the linkage components? The two systems are really pretty different, as the OD linkage has a bell crank mounted on the fire wall to allow mounting the kickdown switch, while the non-OD is pretty much a straight shot. The kickdown switch is mounted so that it is activated when the throttle is opened wide. The correct pieces should not be that hard to find if you don't have them.

Another option would be to just hang the kickdown switch under the dash and control the OD manually.
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 03-24-2016, 12:14 PM.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

V8 Big/Small 6 ????

Comment

its a 170 six and I have the bell crank that mounts to the firewall that the two rods hook to and the switch mounts on but don't have the rods and cant see ant holes in the firewall that it mounted to previously I think if I get the rods I could figure out the mounting I was just confused because the holes are there for the relay but not the bell crank. I also have three c cab trucks and I have three throttle rods and they are all just about the same.

Comment

I took these a few years ago when I was disassembling my 3R6 for restoration. The intent was to document wire routing and clip locations, and not really the arrangement of the OD throttle linkage -- but it does show that. Some of the cables and harnesses were already disconnected, so don't focus on that. My truck is an amalgamation of a 3R5 and 3R6, and now has the Commander engine. Although both engines use the same bell crank, the difference in the engine size may mean it's on a different location in a truck with the Champion 6.
          Attached Files
          Skip Lackie

Comment

thanks for the pictures I have no holes in the area that your bracket is mounted I don't know why but this truck was apart when I got it. as for as taking pictures as you go now that we have smart phones its easy to do that I don't know why I didn't. I can tell you on my next project I will have thousands of photos of every part on the vehicle. thanks again for the help

Comment

As I noted, I combined trucks with Champion and Commander engines, and added OD at the same time. This was done in the 1970s, long before cell phone cameras -- so I made a lot of drawings. Since neither truck had had OD, I had to figure out the OD throttle linkage from the parts book and then buy the needed pieces. I made a cardboard template of the bell crank hole locations from a truck in a junkyard, and it turned out to be close enough. I mention this so you know that those are not factory holes in the firewall.

Now after 40 years of ownership, the truck has finally been painted and I'm getting to re-install all that under-hood stuff again.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
              X