Old camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old camper

Think that this will slide into the bed of an 8' Space-Side Champ? And maybe get the tailgate closed? http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/rvs/5477761058.html Is the leak in the roof fixable?
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

i would think so. measure between your wheel wells and go take a look at it and do the same measurement. he says it's only 6.5 feet long so there shouldn't be a problem with the tailgate up in your 8' bed. that seems like a very good price.
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Too bad it's in Ohio. I'd love to have it, as long as the water damage isn't too very bad. Now THAT'S a Mini-Winnie!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
        i would think so. measure between your wheel wells and go take a look at it and do the same measurement. he says it's only 6.5 feet long so there shouldn't be a problem with the tailgate up in your 8' bed. that seems like a very good price.
        He states he used it in a 6'5" bed the camper looks to be longer but it should slide into a standard Studebaker 8' bed easy, I had one like that back in the 70's worked out good for a trip to Minnesota from California pulling a 25' travel trailer.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

My Dad and his friend left Chicago in this new Studebaker with a homemade camper on their way out to California and back. Must have been a great adventure.Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures from Glen 056.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1704366I was 7 years old at the time If someone can make the photo bigger I say thank you. Please do. Never mind. Just click on the pic and enjoy.
          Last edited by KEN IN TEXAS; 03-24-2016, 03:07 AM.

Comment

To me, that looks an awful lot like the "Caravan" top Studebaker offered as an accessory back in the day.

I had to come back and edit my post to make it clear that I was referring to the '47 truck picture directly above.
            Last edited by jclary; 03-24-2016, 12:52 PM.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I've had a few campers and travel trailers that developed minor water leaks. They are repairable. Most of the time it's a matter of resealing every seam and opening. You need to remove the old sealer, not just put more over it. Water finds ways to enter and old sealer that has failed will just allow the failure to occur again. Where the leak shows inside is not necessarily where the leak is originating from. Water will travel from one area to another between the outer skin and the interior paneling. Check around clearance lights and windows. If a window is leaking around the flange, remove the window and reseal it with the correct sealer tape. Do it right and have it fixed or do it half way and do it again and again.
              If it's a major problem, the entire roof can be replaced. The metal and moldings are readily available and if the wood has been damaged, it can easily be replaced with new.
              Good luck. Looks like a fun project that would be neat to own.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                If it's a major problem, the entire roof can be replaced. The metal and moldings are readily available and if the wood has been damaged, it can easily be replaced with new.
                Good luck. Looks like a fun project that would be neat to own.

Really? I have been looking for this stuff several years now and no luck. The RV suppliers around here won't sell me the materials, only replace it themselves at an exorbitant cost. Where exactly does one get an RV roof? Rumour is there is even a urethane liner available somewhere. One of those things 'everyone' seems to know about and 'no one' seems to know quite where to get it. I have a nice old Terry I'd like to keep, but the roof leaks like a sieve. I suspect it was pinecones from DiggerPines where it was parked. Regardless, something heavy has damaged the roof and ruined both of the vents. Vents I can find (I'm going with metal this time) the roof, not so lucky!
                Ron Smith

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post

Really? I have been looking for this stuff several years now and no luck. The RV suppliers around here won't sell me the materials, only replace it themselves at an exorbitant cost. Where exactly does one get an RV roof? Rumour is there is even a urethane liner available somewhere. One of those things 'everyone' seems to know about and 'no one' seems to know quite where to get it. I have a nice old Terry I'd like to keep, but the roof leaks like a sieve. I suspect it was pinecones from DiggerPines where it was parked. Regardless, something heavy has damaged the roof and ruined both of the vents. Vents I can find (I'm going with metal this time) the roof, not so lucky!

See who repairs truck bodies near you. When i was working in the body shop in Asheville we replaced several box truck roofs usually damaged by low overhangs. Specialty metals here in Greenville has such stuff available in sheet stock. W.R.Grace makes a spray on material that is water and fire proof. Sprays with a standard airless. We used it indoors for fireproofing but it would seal a camper roof nicely assuming the sun doesnt deteriate it. Dad always used "cool seal" on campers and resealed them every few years. It was adequate but I would not say stellar. Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah, the white paint with fibreglass in it? That's what I'm currently using and it works reasonably well. Cracks in the summer heat around here though. I'd much rather just replace the whole roof. Ah well. Then again there's the people who put the insulated roof on Mobile homes. I wonder if they'd do a travel trailer? Sure could use the extra insulation. Especially in the summer!
                    Ron Smith

Comment

Studeclunker, try a Mobile Home supply store instead of a RV store. they would have a leak sealer and cool seal or a similar product. maybe they could even cut to fit or order a insulated top. Lowes also has cool seal - probably at a lower price for us "casos". i'd probably want to put some outdoor sealer - something like weatherproof outdoor window caulk - on the topside areas where the leaks have or may occur, then top it all with the cool seal. you tube has many DIY videos regarding application.
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

You can purchase the elastomeric rubber and sealer on eBay in different sizes. Not cheap, but much cheaper than having someone do it.

An alternative, and one I chose for my 24' camper, is to use peel-n-seal. It's sold at Lowes & Home Depot in 3' wide, 33' rolls (1 square). It's about $90/roll. They also sell a 6" wide x 25' roll for small jobs. You use metallic tape to do the seams, but I also used roofing cement along the seams before using the tape. The edges need to be carefully done.

It's reflective, but if you want white, just use elastomeric paint - it's bout $80/5gal at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or Lowes. It's a good covering for flat roofs (or minor bows like a camper).

Ymmv
                        -------------------
                        Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Most any RV supply or even a metal supply. You can usually get either aluminum or steel, painted or raw.
                          As for sealers, use the Lap Sealant, self leveling. Never......no really, never use silicon. That stuff just sets on top and then separates, only leaving a film so that nothing else will stick. Lap sealant is made for RV's and lasts. It can also be applied over itself. Sticks to any material, rubber, metal, plastic. The product I use is Dicor brand and I've only seen it available at RV supply stores.

sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                          1950 Champion Convertible
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Ahhh... silly-con sealer, gotta love it! Yeah, the previous owner used it all over the roof! All the seams, vents, everything! Between that and the pine cones, the roof was a mess. I had to use a heat gun to get rid of the silly-con and still had troubles with it. They really gooped it on. Still, got it all off and used the Henry's seam sealer on those, with the fibreglass tape. Tried same on the holes. Then over all of it with sno-something-or-other (white paint with fibreglass fibers in it). The summer sun cracked it so not very successful of a venture. Hence, I'm considering a new roof. It's just the process of ripping the old off and putting down the new. Now I've two Terrys to do. However, I'm seriously considering just using the Henry's and painting the roof on the newer trailer as it really isn't all that bad. The old sealer on the seams has just worn away after thirty-five years.

However, like I said, if the Mobile Home roofers will do these two trailers, I get a new roof and extra insulation. Where could I go wrong with that?

Sorry to the OP, I really didn't intend to hyjack your thread. However, the buyer of the camper would have to deal with this too. Still say that would look pretty good on one of my Champs! Then again, the little '60 would look pretty good towing my '71 Terry too! 'Course, I'd have to rebuild the motor and transmission, fix the brakes, work on the electrical...
                            Ron Smith

Comment

What about the people applying vinyl roof sheeting? They glue it on and it seems to stay on pretty good. Saw a 20 year old vinyl roof the other day. Apart from colour fade, it had not lifted any edges nor allowed water under.
                              /H

Comment

Working...
                              X