PDA

View Full Version : Nice site (How to Identify a 1965 Studebaker Daytone...)

Scott
03-23-2016, 07:02 PM
I don't know if this has come up before, but this site is pretty impressive: http://classicregister.com/content/how-identify-1965-studebaker-daytona-2-door-sports-sedan-coupe
Yes, I know I mistyped Daytona in the title. Sorry.

I notice there are funny errors in the data and a lot pertains to 1966 cars, but the overall idea of the webpage is very attractive. I hope they can get some of the information a little more accurate.

Classic Register
04-02-2016, 11:41 AM
I don't know if this has come up before, but this site is pretty impressive: http://classicregister.com/content/how-identify-1965-studebaker-daytona-2-door-sports-sedan-coupe
Yes, I know I mistyped Daytona in the title. Sorry.

I notice there are funny errors in the data and a lot pertains to 1966 cars, but the overall idea of the webpage is very attractive. I hope they can get some of the information a little more accurate.

Hi Scott,

You have stumbled upon my website :).

I’m a huge fan of the 65 Sport Sedan (My father has one, along with a couple of 64 Daytona coupes, a convertible and a sedan – all down in Australia).

I have been meaning to re-visit the 65 Sport Sedan ID-guide to make updates and consult a few more people with respect to the information provided. Apologies for any oversights in the existing guide (it is based on info provided by a couple of Stude enthusiasts, and online research) – but of course this information in the classic car world tends to be highly exposed to ‘Chinese whispers’.

It’s important to me that the guide is as accurate as possible and I have been slowly making my way through updating many of the guides on the site bit by bit, as I’ve heightened standards over time, and this might be a good opportunity to engage with the expertise available on this forum.

It would be fantastic if you, or anyone else on the forum here, were able to provide any additional information / clarifications, or point out errors in the current guide. Even if you could point me in the right direction with further research.

You have probably seen already, we also have a guide for the 66 on there: http://classicregister.com/content/how-identify-1966-studebaker-daytona-2-door-sports-sedan-coupe

Thanks Scott, hope to hear from you and others :).
Regards,
Tim

Scott
04-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Hi Tim,

Yes, nice site! As I recall now some of the errors for the 1965 page had to do with color names. The one that really stood out was a photo that actually shows a 1964 convertible in gold from the rear. That color was Desert Sand, not Yukon gold and since it was the wrong year Studebaker really didn't even belong there at all! Pretty photo, though.
Also, in the 1966 page you indicate that spares are very hard to find for the disc brakes. That has not been my experience at all. Pads are really cheap, the rotors are not hard to find and the calipers are either available or the rebuild kits are.

I'm sure there are other things, but those come immediately to mind. :)

BobPalma
04-02-2016, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Scott;980145]I don't know if this has come up before, but this site is pretty impressive: http://classicregister.com/content/how-identify-1965-studebaker-daytona-2-door-sports-sedan-coupe
Yes, I know I mistyped Daytona in the title. Sorry. [QUOTE]

:( Scott, you don't have to "live" with the embarrassment of a misspelling. Click on EDIT [your post]. Then click on GO ADVANCED. When you are at the GO ADVANCED level, you can change the spelling in the title, or even change the whole title if you want to. While you are editing, then, you can also remove the words in your post, apologizing for the misspelling.

But only you or a moderator can do that, as it should be, so I can't do it for you. :cool: BP

StudeRich
04-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Hi Tim, very complete and well done Website! :!:

Not being in the U.S.A. or Canada and seeing many of them often, must make it hard to get all the "facts" on these Classic American Cars. I am sure it was a challenge wondering who to believe.

FYI:

If you wanted to make it for all '64 to '66 Stude. Models U.S. and Canada, it would be a huge challenge. But if you want to keep it just '65 or '65-'66 Studebakers it will be a lot simplier.

I would change the title to '65 and '66 Studebakers and do the Commanders, Daytonas, Cruisers and Wagonaires since you already have a lot of info on them.
But if you wish to keep it '65 Daytona Sports Sedans, then you could delete all the info and Pics of '64's, Convertibles, Hardtops, '64 Colors not used on '65-'66, etc.

In this Country on Studebakers especially, we never refer to a 2 Door Sedan or a 2 Door Hardtop as a Coupe, that word is reserved for Cars with very short Rear Quarter Windows like a '40 to '51 Ford Coupe.

Because Studebaker did produce some actual Coupes like the Business Coupes, '47-'52 & Starlight Coupes also '53 to '61 "C" Body "Coupes", we don't use that term for any other non-Coupe 2 Doors.

Also, please do not promote as original or correct, any 1963 to 1966 Studebaker Photos that show them with the Wrong Tires/Tyres, the Factory use of Wide White Wall Tires ended on 1962 year Models.

Jessie J.
04-02-2016, 11:47 PM
There was no 'Super Sport' model designation. Simply 'Sport Sedan'.
One advertising interior illustration prominently displays a 1964 4 speed shift, which was no longer available in '65.
Only the early '65 valve covers were painted yellow, at some point they switched to black.
Wide white-wall tires really look strange on these as they had really gone 'out of style' by 1965, and anyone that had a set installed on a new car at that late of date would have been laughed at, and perhaps considered a bit tetched in the head.

But other than a few details like that, an all together pleasing site.

Classic Register
04-03-2016, 04:27 AM
Thanks for all of the information Scott, StudeRich and Jessie J!

I'll certainly do as you have suggested and remove any of the irrelevant images (64 models etc), and correct the information you have both noted.

StudeRich, I really have to get up to date on U.S. terminology . Its strange how we basically call anything with 2 doors a coupe in Australia - so that's a good point and I'll make that change. When it comes down to it, there are so many terms I need to adjust just based on language differences for the U.S. (Bonnet is a hood, mudguard is a fender, boot is a trunk, tyres are tires, and the list goes on haha..).

I'll work on updating and furthering the guides in the coming week, and post back here when done.

Thanks again for your comments!
Tim

stude dude
04-03-2016, 05:21 AM
Hi Tim, I am assuming your father is Miles Felstead. There cant be too many people in Australian that own such a specific combination of 1964-65 model Studebakers!

I am a huge fan of these models too. If you like, send me a message or email me and I will help you with some of the details.

Chris.
STUDEBAKER OF AUSTRALIA

8E45E
04-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Hi Tim,

Yes, nice site! As I recall now some of the errors for the 1965 page had to do with color names. The one that really stood out was a photo that actually shows a 1964 convertible in gold from the rear. That color was Desert Sand, not Yukon gold and since it was the wrong year Studebaker really didn't even belong there at all! Pretty photo, though.
Also, in the 1966 page you indicate that spares are very hard to find for the disc brakes.

Also of note, the 1965 & 1966 brochures are not entirely accurate, either. The engine illustrations show Studebaker engines, and the interior photo in the 1965 brochure show a silver Mylar strip that never appeared on production cars and the 1966 brochure show a V8 emblem on the C-pillar which was not used in production.

Craig

Classic Register
04-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Hi Chris,

Yes, small world within Australia, Miles is my father.

However, I'm currently working over in Brussels, Belgium - so I don't have his cars as such an easy reference these days. Will be moving back most likely within the year, so hoping to get some better pictures of his 65 model which he's had a lot of work done on. Here are a couple of pics of it in the following link (ones on the trailer are when it was bought in the US - transported down to the LA port, and the ones in the shed where it has now been converted to RHD, and had some body repairs):

http://classicregister.com/content/1965-studebaker-daytona-2-door-sports-sedan-coupe-0

I'll certainly send you an email in the next couple weeks and we can get in touch shortly, would be great to discuss the details more.

Thanks!

Tim

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that extra info Craig!