Promoting Studebaker in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoting Studebaker in the UK

A couple of weeks ago, I was invited to attended the NEC Practical Classic Car Restoration Show, at the invitation of Lancaster Insurance, who had space set aside for their "Pride and Cherished." The Studebaker was selected with 19 other cars from over 70 people who offered their cars to the insurance company in their selection process.

It was a great privilege to have been chosen. The event was a weekend show and by Saturday evening, I had almost lost my voice speaking with so many people; not least with so many saying they used to have a toy (Dinky or Corgi) car, but have never expected to have seen a real Golden Hawk, let alone in the UK!
    Attached Files
    Richard
    sigpic

Didn't Peter in London have a Hawk too? Or was it a Speedster?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Pete, has a '55 green and yellow speedster and though I haven't seen him in past 12 months or so, I believe he still has the car.
      Richard
      sigpic

Comment

Congratulations! Beautiful car.

Is your Hawk left- or right-hand drive? I can't tell if I see the wheel on the left side, or if that's a reflection off the windscreen.
        Mark L

Comment

Greg Diffen has a few Studebaker's in the UK but already know that, I send him 2 container loads a while back.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

It's a left hooker as the saying goes in the UK and not really a problem regards driving the car on the road. The only real issue I've found is the inquisitive tend to drive too close as they've no idea what the car is... and younger drivers unfamiliar with single red lamps at the rear doubling-up as brake and indicators. On the last point, I'm particularly cautious in trying to prevent a rear-end shunt.

My late-father had his Golden Hawk when I was a baby / young child and never any issues, though different times!
            Richard
            sigpic

Comment

Greg has more than a few! We're hoping the UK Studebaker Club will be allocated space at this year's major Classic Car Show in November, also held at the NEC. Over 1.5 Clubs and marques will be represented at this event, which is a great show - we'll find out later this summer if we've been successful Greg is also the Editor of the UK Club magazine
              Richard
              sigpic

Comment

Richard,

Your Golden Hawk is a real standout among all those other cars. You must be very proud of it. Congratulations.

Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Hi Rog, thanks for kind comments. My wife's theory was that had Studebaker been a British manufacturer, we would have won an award, but as so many people didn't know the car or brand... They voted for what they knew.

I wasn't too bothered as I enjoyed the experience.
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                    Greg Diffen has a few Studebaker's in the UK but already know that, I send him 2 container loads a while back.
                    And some of them are featured in the March, 2107 Thoroughbred & Classic Cars magazine.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                    X